Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has this been your experience?

Has this been your experience?

It seems that only the boys in my Fur Posse are lap cats and need that extra attention daily and unless they get it when they want it, they're relentless w/pestering me. None of my girls were lap cats but the boys just lap up the attention, if you'll pardon the pun. What say you?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I must have lucked out in the cat-loving department. ALL my cats are affectionate, though some more so than others. My recently departed Allie was a love-aholic, and our little kitten Cali is a sponge. But, my boy cats are, too. I used to call RB Tenny 'nothing but love'.

Many of my cats have been cats I have had since they were very young, and I think sometimes that initial imprinting has an affect.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    So typical of men - must be pampered and always the center of attention! Guess it applies to cats too...

Now that you mention it, my male cats were always more affectionate than the females. I had never thought about it before. It's pretty equal with the dogs tho.

Guess it just goes to show you, that women are more independent and self assured than their male counterparts!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Many of my cats have been cats I have had since they were very young, and I think sometimes that initial imprinting has an affect.
    You could be right about that, although I got my Puddy @ 5 weeks old and she was Miss Hissy from day one. Creamsicle is affectionate but she's there when I need her and not necessarily the other way around. Peeka was never a lap cat nor was Pidge.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    So typical of men - must be pampered and always the center of attention! Guess it applies to cats too...

Now that you mention it, my male cats were always more affectionate than the females. I had never thought about it before. It's pretty equal with the dogs tho.

Guess it just goes to show you, that women are more independent and self assured than their male counterparts!
    I love it!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I've got 4 girls and 2 boys. The only boy that is a snuggle bug is Austin. But he's a baby. Maya Linn is a lap cat. The rest of the girls aren't really lap cats.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I've found that in general male cats are much more loving than females but in my case right now Storm and Sky aren't lap cats but love pets and scritches. Alani & Blaze love for me to hold them and cuddle them and they will sit on my lap for short periods of time but this may change as they get older. Pearl is my needy cat these days. She has to be with constantly and yes she's sitting in my lap right now as I'm typing this. Ziggy isn't a lap cat but she'll meow to me for pets and scritches.

I've had everyone since they were kittens except for Storm and Sky. I think that since Pearl is a Siamese mix that this makes her more needy to her special person.

Paizly wants attention on her own terms. Usually in the morning when we have our one-on-one time. She does come snuggle next to me when I'm in bed and she likes to be in the same room as me. But if I just randomly walk up to her and give her a kiss or a pet she'll slink away from me. This has become more obvious since Jax joined us.

Jax is a HUGE cuddle bug. I can walk up to him and plant a hard kiss right between his eyes and he doesn't flinch. He doesn't fight me when I pick him up and love on him either.

So, I guess your theory is pretty accurate in my house. Paizly is a lap cat but not all the time like Jax.

Now that I think about it, Taz was always in my lap. I could be at the table eating dinner and he'd want up in my lap. And yes, he'd reach up and pat my leg to get me to let him up. Jax hasn't started this.......yet.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Until the 3 KS babies got here there was only 2 lap cats.. Now of course everyone wants to sleep with in the same bed.. And did I mention its a king size bed..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I absolutely concur with your findings Mary I've tended towards boys because they seem more affectionate. Gigi slept at the foot of my bed for all my childhood years but the boys I've had since are real snugglers. Even 20lb Hobbes would do his best to be a lap (and a half!) cat. Boys will be boys! LOL!

Of our five, the only real cuddle baby is Robbie. Second would probably be Eliot - so yes both boy kitties However, *all* of the kitties are quite affectionate at times. I think the fact that Robbie was hand raised from birth and encouraged to be a snuggle kitty (by PT's Kimlovescats) gave him the personality he has!!

Well, I have two boys and one is a lap cat, cuddle bug, and one is not. My boyfriend has a male and female cat and the female is the more affectionate by far. I think it just depends on the cat.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I wouold have to agree that on average the males are more lap cats. There are exceptions. Roz is my wifes lap girl and Prcious is mine, Oliva and Boo Boo will be with who ever they deside at that moment. The rest of the girls come by for scratchs and pets. Chessie, Peak, and Timmy love to sit on my wifes lap. I get Lucky, Egypt, Demetri and Mits. Lenny, Joey and Little one are thier own boys.
    GILL & Crew;

My brother's family's cat, Milo, is only snuggly with certain people on his terms. He likes to be near his people at all times, though. If they're watching TV, he's somewhere in the living room. If they're eating, he is under the dining room table waiting for handouts. If they're outside, he needs to be outside too. He's such a good, sweet cat -- he loves attention and petting too. I'm not his favorite person because I over-snuggle him with hugs and kisses .

i wish Cassie was more of a snuggle bug. Depends on her mood and the time of day. She is most snuggly after she has eaten at night.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Joseph was always coming to me meeeowing for attention
    Precious, was My Cat, especially after Sam passed on and she no longer had his protective presence
    Moose was an attention Cat , but he was more like that where he was a Cat Magnet , where he sat everycome would gravitate
    Scrappy Two is my Look at Me Cat , she will whine until you pay attention.
    She such a Cry Baby
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

One male and two females left in my group. They all get up in my lap at one time or another during the day/evening. Buddy (male) is the one that sleeps on the arm of my chair. He doesn't actually get into my lap and if I try to put him in my lap he will jump down.

Tink (female) is all over me. She will jump up and get right in my face to get my attention and then lay down and roll all over me and the chair.

Mama (female) doesn't get completely into my lap all of the time. She likes to lay on the edge of the front of the chair. Silly cats.

Who knows why they do what they do.