Thread: Love, old age, and Moose

Love, old age, and Moose

A very thoughtful article about deciding how far to go with veterinary technology for an aging companion.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ed...age_and_moose/

Love, old age, and Moose
    By Joan Wickersham
    August 20, 2010

TO BEGIN with, Moose is a cat. That must be understood, or nothing can come of the story I am about to relate.

Given that he is a cat — an animal, a pet — I will add that he’s one of the great ones. He’s poised, smart, affectionate, handsome, and big. Or he used to be big. In his prime, he had a long-haired, plume-tailed, king-of-the-world majesty. He walked into the room and the floor shook. He liked his meals, and he made it very clear that he disagreed with us about how frequently they should occur. He lived with my mother for a number of years (OK — 10 years. We loaned him to her and she liked him too much to give him back) and the two of them got into arguments over what and how often he should be eating. He would sit in front of the refrigerator; she would say, “What? What are you implying?’’ and he would give her a look so withering, so critical, that she would check her watch and wonder if in fact he was right and it really was dinnertime.

(He’s a cat. An animal. A pet.)

But Moose isn’t big anymore. He’s 19. His long gray fur hides his frailty somewhat, but his body has started to have a caved-in look. He’s gotten pretty deaf and his kidneys have begun to fail. The reality is: he’s old. He’s not acutely sick, but he is dying, in the way that all living creatures eventually wear out.

One night a few weeks ago, Moose suddenly seemed unwell. His sides were heaving, he was having trouble breathing, and his front leg swelled up. When we tried to pick him up, he growled. Clearly he was in pain. So we found ourselves in the waiting room of the animal hospital, listening as the vet gave us a rundown. Moose was on painkillers and oxygen. They were running blood work. They wanted to do an X-ray of the swollen leg, and an electrocardiogram to check whether he’d had a heart attack, and a brain scan to see if he’d had a stroke.

I don’t know what I had expected. We’d brought him in for emergency veterinary care, and that’s what they were giving him. It was respectful, thorough, and technologically sophisticated, almost as if Moose were a person. But he wasn’t a person, I remembered, shaking my head when the vet asked whether to resuscitate him in the event of cardiac arrest. He was a cat, an animal, a pet. It was the vet’s job to offer us the full range of things they could possibly do for him. It was our job to sort through the options and say yes to only the ones that made sense, for this beloved pet who was reaching the end of his lifespan.

Veterinary ethics? I’ve never really thought about the issue, except to feel that it’s a pet owner’s responsibility to spare an animal unnecessary suffering.

When we were first married, my husband and I had a cat named Hannibal whom we adored irrationally and anthropomorphized shamelessly. He stopped eating, and the vet called us in the middle of surgery to say it was inoperable lymphoma and Hannibal would die within six months. What did we want to do?

Put him to sleep, we said instantly. For us, this had the mercy of being a clear-cut case. What was the point of stitching him up and putting him through a painful recovery, just so we could take our time saying goodbye to an animal who wouldn’t know the difference?

Moose’s situation is more confusing. I’m philosophically in favor of letting nature take its course, yet I’d never realized how many procedures and technologies would be available, or how hard it would be to decide when enough was enough. In the end we authorized only a moderate set of tests. When we picked him up the next morning, he was better.

So now he’s home again, sitting in front of the refrigerator looking old, battered, and reproachful. “Feed me,’’ he says, and I feed him — glad to do something for him, and knowing that someday soon there will be nothing I can do.

Joan Wickersham’s column appears regularly in the Globe. Her website is www.joanwickersham.com.

© Copyright 2010 Globe Newspaper Company.

Thank you for posting this.

Thoughtful story.Made me feel like I know Moose personally. I really
    enjoyed reading the article & thank you for posting it.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

That was a truly great article, something to make us think.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Great article to read....

Sometimes we do too much, expect too much, and put our beloved furkids thru too much, when clearly, the outcome is rarely positive. Yes, we do it because we love them and can't bear to let them go, but we are doing it more for ourselves, and not entirely for them as it should be. And yes - I was guilty of this in one case, and I promised myself and my furkids that it would never happen again. I still live with the fact that I couldn't see beyond my own selfish feelings - it hurts............
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Beautiful. Thank you very much for posting it.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

This thread resonates with me as I had that same decision to make with My Moose the MagnifiCat who went from close to 20 pounds to about eight. We tried medications , but My Vet said that Moose had heart troubles and there was little that could be done
    He passed on on his own as did Bo Bo, Joseph and My Princess who went downhill so fast
    I cant believe how good they looked only a few months ago.
    Sadly their passing cane on a long wekend when Ou VET is closed.
    I pray taht they forgive me and will love me still, when it is My One Fine Day
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
    I pray that they forgive me and will love me still, when it is My One Fine Day
    I am sure this is going to happen and they will love you forever because you took such good, loving, diligent care of them!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Gary, there is nothing to forgive. A Power higher than you own called them home. They went willingly and are preparing the greatest reunion of all time! We will all go Home some day and be a whole family once again. They all love you still and know that you gave them the best life any cat could hope for. Concentrate on that, please.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Such a good article

I enjoyed reading the article. It hit home with me, having had to put a few of my most precious pets to the final sleep. It seemed to difficult at the time, but each one was entitled to as peaceful an exit as possible. I wish we could do the same for humans, sometimes.

When I look at my new puppy, I know that within 12-15 years, she will be gone, just breaks my heart. For some reason, we think that cats live much longer than dogs, but many do not.

I will never stop worrying if I let go too soon or not, but did the best I could at the time. There will be more times to come. I dread it.

We lost our 19-yr old last October and our 21-yr old this past April. I think when they reach a certain age there is only so much that can be done for them. It's very difficult to let go, but there is a quality of life to consider. Our 21-yr old could not walk any more, so was lying in urine. She was fine otherwise, but how does one help an old cat who can't walk? She was very arthritic and was probably in a lot of pain. We tried medication, but....

My Vet sent a prelimenary report for My Michasel , My Dream Cat
    and it is not good.
    There are pills taht Michael will take twice daily, an injection and then Fluids one weekly for the time being.
    I am going to go to the Buffet twice a week now as My Mr Purr LOVES White Chicken and My Found Cats Angels can treat their Awesome Angels Friends twice a week now!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Moose sounds like quite a kitty. The article is very well written and thought provoking. Now I wonder what we'll do when the time comes to make the decision for our Groucho, and the time will come. I can only hope we'll do what's best for him with the comfort from Groucho knowing how very much he's loved.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Great article to read....

Sometimes we do too much, expect too much, and put our beloved furkids thru too much, when clearly, the outcome is rarely positive. Yes, we do it because we love them and can't bear to let them go, but we are doing it more for ourselves, and not entirely for them as it should be. And yes - I was guilty of this in one case, and I promised myself and my furkids that it would never happen again. I still live with the fact that I couldn't see beyond my own selfish feelings - it hurts............
    I totally agree. I still remember how I put my RB Pepper through so many tests and the vet still couldn't find what was wrong with him. I finally just had to let him go so he could be at peace. It was very difficult but I know I made the right decision. Since then I've sworn to never put my animals through too much. I just want them to have the best quality of life that they can and when that's gone then I'll have to say goodbye.