Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ziggy’s (Siegfried) Story - RIP 8-18-2010

Ziggy’s (Siegfried) Story - RIP 8-18-2010

I first heard about Ziggy from a co-worker’s wife, whose friend had to sell her farm and she had a barn cat that needed to find a home because she didn’t want to leave him behind and also some wildlife was coming and eating the cats.

I told them if they needed help finding a home I would be glad to help. In April 2010, I was contacted by my co-worker’s wife who told me that the situation was a little worse than she thought.

She said the cat needed vet attention and that he was estimated to be around 10 years old. So not knowing his condition or how bad of a shape he was in, I told them I would take him in and foster him till we found a home. The owner who had Ziggy from the time he was a baby agreed to pay for the vetting expenses.

On April 18th I met Ziggy, the owner came to my workplace and dropped him off for me. Ziggy could barley open his eyes. I was honestly shocked at the condition he was in. He had some battle wounds it looked like and the tips of his ears were frostbitten. Ziggy’s coat was in terrible shape as well.

Ziggy was taken to the vet on April 20th. The vet told me Ziggy had the following: skin infection (Ziggy had a wound around his front paw and back leg that were pretty big sores, but the vet said that the antibiotic shot should help those heal and it did), ear mites, round worms, tape worms, upper respiratory infection, and eye infections. He tested negative for FIV/FELV.

The vet gave him a dose of revolution, de-wormer, eye drops, and a Convenia shot. The vet checked his blood work and he’s in great shape considering his outward appearance.

The vet fixed him 2 weeks later and he did just fine. Ziggy’s lower lid on his right eye kept flipping inwards and the tiny hairs were poking him in the eye every time he would blink. The vet said that we will keep an eye on him to see if he needs to have surgery but at this time she wanted him to gain some weight.

Ziggy’s eye didn’t get much better so on July 2nd Ziggy was taken to the vets to have his lower eye fixed. Ziggy has now recovered from surgery and he is able to open both of his eyes. Ziggy has such amazing blue eyes.

Ziggy was taken to the vets on August 18, 2010 because my husband and I started noticing Ziggy losing some weight and his mid-section seemed rather large than before. He always had a little roundness to him but this was more than usual. We also noticed that he wasn’t coming out and hanging out on the couch with me like he used to but we honestly thought it was just because Hercules (the kitten) came into the house and he didn’t really want to bother with the kitten even though in mid-July we caught Ziggy sleeping with the kitten in the same bed. It was adorable.

I went to pick up Ziggy at 11:10 a.m. to take him to his vet appointment at 11:20 a.m. and I got him in the cat carrier, he hates the cat carrier but did very well, I petted him the whole ride. Sadly, when I stopped at a stop sign I noticed Ziggy wasn’t looking good and he had some yellowish color to his skin on the top of his head and when he meowed I saw that his gums were yellow. I knew right away that this wasn’t going to be good and that he was jaundice.

We got the vets and I told the vet tech that I believed Ziggy was jaundice and when the vet came in she confirmed that. We did a blood test on Ziggy first off so we could tell what his levels were like and she was talking about getting a sample of Ziggy’s abdomen, since she believed there was fluid building up. After waiting about 30 minutes for the results, the vet came in and said that most of his blood worked looked pretty good except there were a few things that were high and some were low. She did take some fluid from his abdomen and it was bright yellow. She said she believes it wasn’t his bladder exploded or anything because it was still intact. She believed that he had FIP. There was a test we could run and have him wait 5 days but Ziggy hates the car so much I couldn’t see bringing him back in knowing I was going to put him down. So we are running the test on the yellow fluid she pulled out just to see if it was FIP or if it was his kidney and liver failing.

Either way I guess it doesn’t matter too much now…Ziggy was put to rest shortly before 1 p.m. today. I’m going to miss him so much. They came in after I decided that we should put him to sleep and gave him a sedative so that he would get sleepy and he did. It didn’t take long at all. I sat there and held him in my arms, crying, and just telling him how much I loved him and that his daddy loved him so much and that he was such a good boy. I also told him how happy I was that he came into our lives.

I miss him so much. I told dear sweet Ziggy to look for Anika and Milo and Annie would take good care of you. They gave him one shot and within a minute he was gone. I kissed him over and over and just cried. I said my goodbyes to him. Oh Ziggy I hope I did everything that was right for you. I love you and miss you so much. Bye Ziggy Z

Love your mom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0818101202a.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	45851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0818101205.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	45852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mid July 2010 (18).jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	761.6 KB 
ID:	45853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mid July 2010 (19).jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	45854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 161.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	45855  

I'm so sorry. The most important thing - Ziggy knew only love his last few months. Now he is healthy, and you will see him again, as Gary would say - one fine day.

I'm so sorry. You did everything for Ziggy that possibly could have been done, and he left for the RB knowing that he was loved.

Oh No Melissa I am so so sorry to read this.. Huggss Huggss

RIP wittle Ziggy.. May you always be in our Hearts.. Play hard at the Bridge..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I'm so sorry to read what has happened. But just remember, that Ziggy had some wonderful memories to take with him - memories of all the love and care that he received from you these past few months. He will remember this as he waits to be with you again one day.

RIP sweet Ziggy. Run and play and have fun, while you wait for your purrents to come to you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Godspeed, Ziggy.....your mom, dad and all of Pet Talk loves you and will miss you......
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"

LES. Anytime someone goes into detail about this I just can't stop the tears. I guess it just brings back my own memories.

You did everything you possibly could for Ziggy and he is so lucky to have been with you for his last days.

RIP Ziggy
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm so sorry to be reading this, Melissa. Poor Ziggy... so sick. I'm glad he was with you for the past few months, he knew love with you and your husband.

Play gently at the Bridge, sweet Ziggy. Look for my girl, Finae, she'll help guide you around.

You certainly were wonderful Guardians to Ziggy, but those years of rough living took their toll, and sadly there was little that could be done,
    You showed him more love in the four months that he had ever known before , and the good thing is that Ziggy became an Angel as a Beloved Pet, not like so Many Animals who pass away unmourned or unloved.
    Ziggy appreciates the fact that in his last months he had a Furrever Home where he was loved and he will make Friends with the Stray Angel Animals so they can feel that love too.
    Until you all are reunited in Love.
    One Fine Day
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Melissa, I'm so sorry about Ziggy; although I agree with those who have said you did everything you could for a kitty that had seen a very rough side of life. You showed him love and care. Bless you.

RIP Ziggy; play young and free at the Bridge. There are many PT kitties to help you find your way.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Ziggy knew more kindness and compassion in his brief time w/you than he knew for his entire life, Melissa. You made his life much lighter and his transition easy. You'll miss him, of course, but you did the right thing by helping him to the Bridge. RIP, sweet Ziggy and peace to you, Melissa.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I'm with Medusa, Melissa. Ziggy had a far, far better life with you than he had ever had before. He was so loved, and loved you. You did the right thing, sparing him more stress and possibly more pain.

{{{{hugs}}}} to you and Rob.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

During his last months, Ziggy had a taste of the sweet life; you gave him that, a lovely gift. You helped him feel better physically as well.

I HATE FIP, there is just nothing more I can say on that!!!!

Hugs to you.

Oh, Melissa, I am so very, very sorry to read this.

So much love you and your husband gave him, so much caring, more than he'd ever known in his entire life. He knew and shared great love with you both and always will.

Thank you both so very much for all you did for and gave to Ziggy. God bless you.

Rest in peace, dearest little Ziggy, you are healthy and whole again as you await the grand reunion.. One Fine Day!!!

Love from Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Oh Melissa, I am so sorry to hear about Ziggy! At least for the latter part of his life he had plenty of love and he will see you at the bridge I am sure!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi