Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why you don't de-mat your cat with scissors

Why you don't de-mat your cat with scissors

That's $500 of surgery you're looking at there, plus meds, plus no end of anguish. No matter how apparently simple the job, go to a groomer.

Love, Columbine (who got to look at the doc's PRE-SURGERY photos too - very gruesome. )

OH NO!! Is that one of YOURS?

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    OH NO!! Is that one of YOURS?
    Yes, that's Smudge's poor little behind. I thought, well, he's got a mat here, I'll just scissor it off. He squeaked and ran off, then got right back to begging for food in less than a minute, but when I looked at it, it was ugly. I had phenomenal luck in getting him into surgery the same day I called (Friday the 13th, no less), and he got through without a hitch (although he definitely thinks his pain meds taste awful!) But I have a VERY impressive vet bill (via emergency credit card) to keep me from forgetting any time soon, even if the scare it gave me ever wore off.

Love, Columbine

Poor Smudge. I'm sorry that this happened but I'm glad that you were able to get in to the vets for surgery very quickly. I hope he'll feel better soon and heal up quickly.

Poor Smudge. I'll bet you got the fright of your life too.

The same thing happened to us once. Jessica had a mat that we thought we could easily snip out. We did get the mat out, but in the process gave her the tiniest nick. It really was a small nick, but seemed to open up afterwards. It was a Saturday night and entailed a call to the emergency vet. Poor Jess got several stitches.

She feels your pain, Smudge!

He's also going to get the Human Comb a lot more often (he'll put up with his own brush & comb, but for some reason he'll actually sit still for being combed with a plain old oversize plastic comb). I think I was slack about brushing him because it entails chasing him around the house bent over, so the Human Comb it is.

Now, to get that last dose of painkiller into him. Maybe some cheese on the syringe...

Love, Columbine

Very similar to us. There was a bit down at the base of her tail that I don't think Jessica could reach when she was grooming. Jessica raised at least two litters as a feral mother, so she never came quietly! After the snip incident though, we caught her fairly regularly for a brush. Always involves a big chase and a lot of hissing and growling, but we no longer have to wrap her top half in a towel. Progress!

Oh Smudge! So you didn't feel badly when it happened, you just returned begging for food? WELL! Don't let mom know, milk this for everything you can!

I am sure you feel terrible about this; I know I do when I nick any of my crew. Sounds like Smudge is going to recover more quickly than you will. No to mention that bill staring at ya.

Smudge did manage to gack down (under protest) his pain meds last night, so he slept well. At least wine tastes good! He got his last yucky dose this morning, along with the tasty antibiotic tuna drops, and is now sitting placidly in front of the fan. Which isn't on. He's high.

With things resolved, I'm going with a friend out to George's Island, to check out the fort and a Native American festival and see what interesting stuff we can find to photograph. Smudge isn't disturbing his stitches (they're on his bum, so there's no way he can whack at them with a hind toe) so he doesn't have to wear the cone the vet gave me. VERY glad I'd arranged to have the weekend off.

Love, Columbine

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Aawww - poor Smudge. Hope you're feeling better soon - altho with your pain meds, I guess you're feeling no pain!

I've used nice sharp scissors to attack mats on the dogs with no problem, but it's easier to get them to be still, unlike a cat. Fortunately, I only ever had one cat that would get mats, and he was a very mellow fellow, and I could de-mat him without too much trouble other than an occasional little nick.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Oh I'm so sorry! I can only imagine how you must feel but I think most of us have gone the scissors route for mats. I know I have but ended up taking Pidge in for a lion cut. Smudge knows how much you care for him and I'm sure he isn't holding a grudge. No Smudge grudge. (Sorry, couldn't resist it.)
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Poor baby. Hope he gets healed up soon.

That's why I'm a big fan of electric clippers instead of scissors. I even have a battery operated small one at home for the occasional tangle I can't brush out.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I did this to Lilycat's Butters. OMG, did I just feel as bad as humanly possible.

I am so sorry this has happened to one of your's....recovery quickly, please!!

Smudge is in good spirits, and loves his amoxicillin Tuna Drops - I have to squirt it into the palm of my hand for him to lick up, as if I try to squirt it right in his mouth, he gets so enthusiastic that it splatters everywhere! He'll be getting his stitches out next Tuesday. The vets shaved some more mats off his tummy and cut his nails too, while he was out. I'm sure the latter was only sensible, as a tech's going to take his stitches out without benefit of a sedative. He's currently snoring cute little kitty Zs in his snooze basket under the desk.

Love, Columbine

Oh my goodness....I've been known to use scissors before...especially when our long hair kitties get poo stuck around their bums...but I will be super careful next time....Prays that Smudge heals quickly.

Melissa