Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer Help Needed!!!

I just want to give a huge thank you to Brian. Even though I couldn't fix my computer on my own with his instructions, he called me and then was able to install a program so he could see what's on my computer and then he was able to fix it remotely. I've learned my lesson and will never turn off the power to my computer while it's trying to log off.

THANKS SO MUCH BRIAN!!!!

Wonderful news!

And upgrade yer RAM, young lady.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

WOW to Brian I am SO GLAD that your computer is fixed now KAK - how frustrating but saved by a PT member

What was the issue Brian?
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Wonderful news!

And upgrade yer RAM, young lady.
    Brian checked out my RAM and he said that I have plenty. He did suggest that I do a defragmentation which I just did. It took several hours and now my computer is much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    What was the issue Brian?
    I actually caused the problem because I stupidly turned off the power to my computer while it was in the process of logging off. I did this because it was taking a long time to log off and I was already running late for work. This caused all of my profile settings to be gone and my computer was using temporary profile settings. Brian thinks that I had a corrupted profile. Luckily I still had internet access or he wouldn't have been able to help me.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I actually caused the problem because I stupidly turned off the power to my computer while it was in the process of logging off. I did this because it was taking a long time to log off and I was already running late for work. This caused all of my profile settings to be gone and my computer was using temporary profile settings. Brian thinks that I had a corrupted profile. Luckily I still had internet access or he wouldn't have been able to help me.
    Did he make a new account for you and move all of your data to that new account? Ild really like to know the geekness that went into fixing your computer.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Did he make a new account for you and move all of your data to that new account? Ild really like to know the geekness that went into fixing your computer.
    Yes, that's pretty much what he did. The cool thing is that all of it was done remotely so the only thing that I had to do was to install and then uninstall his program.

Her profile was coorrupted while it was saving it during the shut down process. I did not spend any time finding out,exactly, what part was corrupted. But, I did know that was the problem because she had like 7 or 8 temporary profile folders in "Documents and Settings".

She had already created a new account, so all I did was move her desktop, favorites and documents. She uses a web based email, so I did not need to do anything there.

I did not tell her, but she probably has already noticed ( ), that you can't really move cookies from one profile to another... So saved passwords and such are no longer saved.

---

I used our companies Kaseya tool to remote to her. We use Kaseya to manage all of our clients stuff. Specifically, I used the VNC remote agent. Her computer was surprisingly zippy for a old beast like that. LOL

Also, I told her that I do not recommend spending a dine on it. It runs fine with the 512K it has... Plus, it is a older AMD processor running at 233Mhz, so finding RAM for it will be tough, and expensive. Save the $$ for something new.

I was happy to help. And, as a bonus for her, she got to listen in to some chaos in our home. LOL
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War