Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Mr Purr Michael is Sluggish.Miracle Michael's Coming Home..

Michael was on fluids and I was speaking to the substitute Vet , who has a strong accent.
    I will get some medications for Michael and I will be asking My Regular Vet when he returns Monday.
    Whatever it take Michael is coming home, and he will be a well taken care of Cat
    I just hope the other Found Cats dont like his prescription diet as well
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I just hope the other Found Cats dont like his prescription diet as well
    On the bright side, you would have to buy only one kind of food - and you get a discount on a case of it!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Yay for Mr. Purr!
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"

Except that food is usually about 3 dollars for a 5.5 ounce tin , plus HST at 13%!!!
    I dread what Michael's bill will be with those blood tests, liquid antibiotics and the medications that are coming home.
    But its My Mister Purr, My Dream Cat so that's well worth the cost
    Last edited by catmandu; 08-13-2010 at 09:18 AM.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.

Now that's better news! Continued prayers for Michael!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I'm so glad Michael will be back home soon and he has quite a bit of good time ahead for him and you and the other kitties!

Love to you all from all of us!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Much better news, Gary. I'm sure he'll be as spoiled as any cat can be.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

This is such good news!!! My heart has been heavy all day at work thinking of Michael. He is one PT cat I can truly say I love as one of my own. Please give Mr. Purr loves from me! I am doing the happy dance right now!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

And they have boneless chicken breasts one for 1.97 a pound at the Food Basics and at Sobeys a big BBQ Chicken about 2.5 pounds for 8 dollars!!!
    Michael will be so very happy , and I may make an extra trip to the Buffet so Michael can have crab meat, roast beef and shrimps,
    And more Chicken!!!
    Michael LOVES Chicken
    And I will have LES when I see My Dear Old Owesome Orange Cat once more

Quote Originally Posted by katladyd View Post
    This is such good news!!! My heart has been heavy all day at work thinking of Michael. He is one PT cat I can truly say I love as one of my own. Please give Mr. Purr loves from me! I am doing the happy dance right now!
    I'm with KatLadyD on all of the above. Please give Michael some big hugs and lovies from me -- all the other Found Kitties too!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Woo Hoo Michael is coming home.. That is great news.. Hope you feels much better Michael.. Huggss & Prayers

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I'm with KatLadyD on all of the above. Please give Michael some big hugs and lovies from me -- all the other Found Kitties too!

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I called Our Vets and in the background I could hear Michael, the Pampered Dream Cat howling for his dinner!!!
    He was so quiet and still when Our Vet assistant picked him up, I thopught tat I would never see him again
    Hes on his way with K/R Chicken Cat Food , Appetite Enhancers and Fluids to be given orally so he stays hydrated
    For as long as Michael has , be it six weeks or six moths, he is going to be Spoiled.
    He is worth every cent of his Vet Bill and MORE

Gary, will you be giving Michael subcutaneous fluids at home?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

We are going to see how Micheal does , but there is a good chance that I will have to give My Dream Cat fluids under the skin.
    I have questions , is that difficult and I hate to ask , will this be expensive
    I hate to put a price tag on things, especially Mr Purr and I will pay the price.
    Michael is worth too much for me to to help My Owesome Orange Cat.

Gary, I've given fluids to various cats of mine over the years. Presently Sydney and Bob are getting them.

It isn't that hard to do, but it does take a little practice at first. Basically, you pick up a little "tent" of skin around the scruff of the neck and insert the needle from the fluid bag parallel to the cat's body. Your vet's staff will show you what to do and have you try it and get it right.

I did a GoodSearch search on "administering subcutaneous fluids to cat" to see if I could find a clear, hopefully illustrated description of the process. I got LOADS of links!

Here's one with step-by-step instructions and photographs: http://www.felinecrf.com/managh.htm

And here's a YouTube demonstration by a vet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4Ta537YEOU

Here's another YouTube demo, from Cornell's vet school: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LSppGcrQ3Y

There are plenty of other links for instructions, too.

Don't be nervous or shy. I am the original Nervous Nellie when I have to attempt anything mildly complex and possibly painful for the recipient..and I learned to do it!.. so you can too, Gary.

Is it expensive? Well, there is some cost involved, but it's worth doing because it could extend Michael's life and comfort level .. The fluid bags and needles are MUCH less expensive if you buy them in bulk. I get a box of 100 needles or a case of 12 bags of fluids at a time from the vet, which is much cheaper than just buying a few.

When I was first giving fluids, about 25 years ago, I'd get a bag or two at a time for something like $12 each from the vet.. until I found out that I could get a whole CASE of 12 bags through him for about $35!

And according to some of the web sites, these supplies are available for even less money in bulk from Costco and other large discount warehouse stores.

I tried to find these at Costco Canada online, but I couldn't. So, here are the nearest Costcos to you:

1 Ancaster (5.93 km)
    100 Legend Court
    Ancaster ON L9K 1J3
    (905) 304-0344

2 Burlington (10.64 km)
    1225 Brant Street
    Burlington ON L7P 1X7
    (905) 336-6714

I hope this helps! You and Michael will spend some real quality time together doing this.

Pat
    Death thought about it.