View Poll Results: Do you know how to swim?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, learned as a child

40 65.57%
  • Yes, learned as an adult

1 1.64%
  • No, never had the opportunity

3 4.92%
  • No, tried but failed

10 16.39%
  • Never thought about it

0 0%
  • Am afraid of water or other ... post below

7 11.48%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drowning Tragedies

I'm not a strong swimmer, but I can swim. Took lessions as a kid in
    a Indy park. I think Red Cross sponsered it. I took both my kids to lessons
    at the YMCA. They can swim like fish.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Yes, I can swim and I love the water!

For me it was just second nature also. We just grew up that way. My parents were avid swimmers, boater, skiers and scuba divers. At one point my dad was on a rescue team that searched for drowning victims. Being at the pool or lake was a daily thing for us. Passed the water genes right along to my son who was on the boat and in the water at 6 months old. Probably would have been earlier than that but he was a winter baby..lol. He was also a very good competitve swimmer and not too long ago I heard that he still holds 16 records at our local "Y". Just had to throw that brag in ...lol. Sadly though I am hardly ever around the water these days.

No, never had the opportunity
    Hi all cat lovers have a nice day. chack out my meassge Board at
    http://orangeangelcat.proboards22.com/index.cgi

Blog Entries
    I can dog paddle is all & not for long then I sink. I always wear a life jacket when out on the river or lake.

We had 6 drown last week, all kids (Teens I think) from the same family, cousins. The adults were on the bank, a family gathering of families. Not a one knew how to swim, only one went to help and he drowned also. The kids went into the water and stepped off into 20 foot deep sudden slope. That was SO sad!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

When I was in 6th grade, if I remember correctly, the school sent us to the YMCA for swimming lessons. I feel I can swim good enough to save my life, although I haven't been swimming in years.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

If my feetsies don't touch the ground...well... panic!

I'm not afraid of the water. Although I almost drowned as a child (miracle I was saved and survived..jumped back in WITH a float. Must have dreamt I could swim, ran ahead of the family and dived in without a float ) I can swim underwater just fine. Can doggy paddle with the best (Logan's cousin Gizmo the Beagle). I just sink no matter how hard I try. I swear, it's on my bucket list: MUST LEARN HOW TO SWIM!

I've been Boooo'd!

Quote Originally Posted by K9karen View Post
    If my feetsies don't touch the ground...well... panic!

I'm not afraid of the water. Although I almost drowned as a child (miracle I was saved and survived..jumped back in WITH a float. Must have dreamt I could swim, ran ahead of the family and dived in without a float ) I can swim underwater just fine. Can doggy paddle with the best (Logan's cousin Gizmo the Beagle). I just sink no matter how hard I try. I swear, it's on my bucket list: MUST LEARN HOW TO SWIM!
    Longer strokes are better than doggy paddle - have you tried floating on your back? That might be good to practice, always in a shallow enough area so that you can stand if you start to panic. Were you closer, I'd volunteer to teach you to swim, a lot of it has to do with breathing, relaxing and not panicking - and I bet it would feel nice on your back to just float in the water.
    I've Been Frosted

Swimming is fun!

I learned to swim at an early age. I lived in the Chesapeake Bay (Maryland) area and had access to the water all summer long. We were made to take lessons from the earliest age possible, lessons given by the Red Cross. I still have my Beginner Swimmer button handed out at the end of the summer. I made it through Senior Life Saving. As I recall, the lessons were tough. We swam in all types of weather. A couple of times they nearly drown us, making us swim during hurricane like weather. It was worth it.

I still have a healthy respect for water. You just never know what is below you when swimming. Diving is another story. You can really do some damage diving in unknown water.

I strongly suggest that everyone give their children lessons of some sort.

As far as I know, the lessons were free. I wonder if they are still offered these days? Probably not.

I took swimming lessons at an early age. We always lived where we could go to a community swimming pool. We would also go to the beach and to sometimes to the lakes too. At the community pool in S.C. you had to pass a swimming test before you'd be allowed to go to the pool without an adult. I had to tread water for several minutes and I had to be able to swim the length of the pool. Later on when I was older I also took a life saving course but that was so long ago that I've forgotten most of it. I've always enjoyed swimming but I haven't been in quite a while even though I have two pools where I live. I do think it's important for everyone to learn to how to swim. It could save your life some day.

I learned as a child how to swim. Every summer we'd go to Bolton Lake. That's where I learned to swim. From there I joined the swim team at Goodwin Park Pool in Hartford. Only problem was I kept hitting my head (might answer alot of questions that no one bothered, like doctors, to ask me). Once on the pool side, once on a table leaf). That might account for alot.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I had swimming lessons at a young age, but they didn't help me. It eventually just became natural and now I cannot get enough of swimming. I LOVE IT whether it be ocean or my pool. I don't know about saving a life...never tried that one yet but I am a pretty strong swimmer.

I had a couple of bad experiences when I was very young. Both scared me. Still I took swimming in high school-twice. Failed both times. Seems I'm built with lead inside. I can swim, but only underwater.

At times I'd like to be able to swim, but I'm not a "beach" kind of person anyway.

Everyone in SC likes to 'go to the beach' in the summer. I'd rather go to the mountains. So what am I doing here?!

I took swimming lessons as a child, and there were levels. I tried for years to get passed level 2 and failed everytime Yes, I can swim enough to save my life... but that would include "doggy paddeling". I'm ok to go in the deep end in a pool but I kind of start to panic if I can't reach in a lake or an ocean. I went snorkeling last winter and had a full on panic attack when I first got in, but I can make myself calm down and I enjoyed it.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I don't do water, period.

Bad childhood experience.

I don't even sit in the bath tub.

Back in high school a girlfriend figured she could teach me how to swim. I gave it a valiant effort but in the end, like my grandfather, I swim like a Rock. Straight to the bottom.

It's in everyones best interest if I stay as far away from the water as possible. I also don't do boats as I get terribly motion sick so no worries there either.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21