View Poll Results: Do you know how to swim?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, learned as a child

40 65.57%
  • Yes, learned as an adult

1 1.64%
  • No, never had the opportunity

3 4.92%
  • No, tried but failed

10 16.39%
  • Never thought about it

0 0%
  • Am afraid of water or other ... post below

7 11.48%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drowning Tragedies

There was a recent sad story here in Chicago. Four 20-somethings out on a sailboat on a beautiful evening, decided to jump in for a swim but didn't drop the anchor on the boat first. One of the men died; the two women survived by treading water for several hours during the night; and the second man's body has not been recovered.

I learned to tread water and to swim (Red Cross instructions) at summer camp. I'm not an especially good swimmer technique-wise, though. I was in a synchronized swim club my second year of college and that was a blast, but I couldn't continue because of my class schedule. I don't look good in a swimsuit at my current weight, so I don't go very often. But I do like to swim.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Learned to swim as a child. Actually I've been in the water since I was an infant.

My grandparents had a cottage on a lake and so I spent every summer there since I was born. Never took official lessons, my mom taught my sisters and I. I joined the swim team in Jr. High.

I love the water so much.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

My grandparents had a trailer on a lake with a pontoon. Neither of them could swim. They insisted I take swimming lessons at an early age before I was allowed to come to the trailer with them. Grandma even insisted taking me to my lessons so she could watch and be sure I could actually swim. Guess the certificate wasn't going to cut it for her. lol

Also every year when I went to summer camp you had to take the daily swimming lessons or you weren't allowed in the water during free swim in the evening or to go on canoe trips. It didn't matter how many years you'd been going or regardless of any other swimming certificates you had either.

The only thing that has ever baffled any of my swimming instructors is that their ways of teaching me to swim wear me out fast, I HATE treading water their way, can barely make the 2 minute minimum to pass. However if I'm allowed to swim my way I can be in water over my head for at least 1/2 hour without touching bottom before I'm tired. I can also swim for a short time using only my arms, or only my legs when I want to.

I hate putting my face in the water if I don't have to, but I can swim their way to satisfaction if required.

Doesn't matter to me if the water is 10 feet deep or 100 feet deep, it's how far from the shore (or a boat) I am that is likely to make me a bit nervous if at all.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I spent every summer of my childhood at the neighborhood pool. I'm a bit out of practice but I think in a pinch I could still use my lifeguard skills. I really should take a refresher course. I have a pool here at my complex and should use it more. Tough to find a time when it isn't over run with kids. They make it tough to do some serious swimming. One more thing on my "to do" list

I'm the astrological sign Cancer, which is a crab. Not only can I get very grouchy (crabby), but I am completely at-home in the water. I've been swimming since I was a very small child. We had a pool in the backyard and I remember every SINGLE day of the summer, being in the pool...even when it was raining or when it was chilly out. I remember my mom having to struggle to get me to leave the pool, and her grounding me from the pool as punishment, and it was the worst thing in the world to me.

I agree that it's sad that some folks never learn to swim. You see that a lot here in TX. I never met anyone in MI that could not swim. Because of all the great lakes, it's actually required in MI to take and pass swimming class before you graduate high school (or at least it was when I was in HS). If you don't learn how to swim before high school, you don't graduate until you do learn how to swim. My 3 year old daughter has had swim lessons because she's the same way I am, she is completely fearless of the water even though she's not able to keep herself afloat without a life vest yet. I will continue her swim lessons until she's a strong swimmer and will be able to not only enjoy the water, but be safe as well. When Vincent is old enough, he will go through the same swim lessons. I feel it's my duty as a responsible parent to ensure my kids are good swimmers.

I *can* swim, but not very far. I have heart troubles and swimming exhausts me fast. I love water though.

I think adults forget how little water can actually sweep you under in a good current. We had several drownings in WI this year from adults going out to sandbars and getting swept under. That case of the 9 year old drowning after her kayak being blown in the water mad me very angry though. The parents said they didn't make her wear a life jacket because she was a good swimmer. She's 9 years old!!! An adult can drown easily when taken by surprise. I can't imagine a 9 year old wouldn't start to panic a little after the wind pushed her kayak from shore.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I can't swim. I love the water. I guess I'm one of those cases that needs to be careful. I took lessons at the Y when I was younger but stopped going when it was time to jump of the diving board because I was scared of heights . I've signed up twice at my local gym and both time the classes were cancelled . When I went to Bermuda on a missions trip I tried to learn. I was told that I have "lazy legs". I'm not going to give up though. I'm determined to learn because even though I don't live near water I love the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by AdoreMyDogs View Post
    Because of all the great lakes, it's actually required in MI to take and pass swimming class before you graduate high school (or at least it was when I was in HS).
    My high school had swimming/swim lessons as part of gym class. Everyone had to learn how to tread water and properly use flotation devices to help people in distress. I graduated in '96.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I can't imagine not being able to swim. I've been doing it as far back as I can remember. I even took a scuba and a lifeguarding class.

Niņo & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Longer strokes are better than doggy paddle - have you tried floating on your back? That might be good to practice, always in a shallow enough area so that you can stand if you start to panic. Were you closer, I'd volunteer to teach you to swim, a lot of it has to do with breathing, relaxing and not panicking - and I bet it would feel nice on your back to just float in the water.

Funny, eh, that I CAN swim on my back, just not the other way around. I sink like a lead balloon. It's embarrasing. That's why my tootsies must be touching the bottom. I open my eyes under water, no fear of getting my face wet, etc. Mental block??

I've been Boooo'd!

You probably tense up, and that's why you sink! Good to know you can at least swim on your back, that does count as swimming! I never advanced to more complex strokes of swimming because I refused to breathe when they wanted me to - I don't think they had any clue of an asthmatic kid's aversion to anything blocking breathe when needed, and the fact that summer time is always the worst time for my allergies. I'll breathe when *I* need to breathe, thanks! I am fine underwater as well, can swim for a long time any way, just let me breathe at my own pace!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by AdoreMyDogs View Post
    I never met anyone in MI that could not swim. Because of all the great lakes, it's actually required in MI to take and pass swimming class before you graduate high school (or at least it was when I was in HS). If you don't learn how to swim before high school, you don't graduate until you do learn how to swim.
    Must be dependant on individual schools or counties. I know several people, various ages, who went to various MI H.S. and none of them had to learn to swim to graduate.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I can tread water and hang out in the deep end just fine but I have never learned to do the different strokes properly.
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I must admit, I have a pretty bad fear of deep water. All my brothers have learned to swim. I'm the odd one out. I too hope I'll never have to wish I'd learned. Part of the reason for this fear could be an experience I had as a one-year-old, where I ended up face-down in the water on one of the pool steps, after which my mom says I never wanted to put my face in the water again. That still stands to this day.

Hitotsu no gengo wa keshite jūbun de wa nai. - One language is never enough.

15. I never really had the opportunity to learn. hoping that changes soon so that i can go swimming during the hotter parts of the year an if we if go camping near a lake itd be nice be able to swim.

also if you have dog/s an a swimming pool its best to teach your dog/s where the ends are to get out as some dogs have been known to paddle endlessly at the border/edge of the pool an get tired an drown cuz they didnt know how to get out of the pool