Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone else suffer from chronic insomnia??

anyone else suffer from chronic insomnia??

This is just getting crazy. I know a lot of it has to do with the fact that I don't get enough exercise during the day, but when I'm awake in the middle of the night like this, it just drives me nuts.

I'm on all kinds of sleep meds (lunesta, seroquel, xanax to relax me, and the doctor is adding another one that needs to be taken with benedryl to work right). I'm just so fed up. I take nothing and I'm awake for DAYS. I take meds, I'm awake, but not for days, just hours until I collapse.

I know it will be better when school starts, but at times like this, it's so frustrating. I've tried every over the counter med I could find, the homeopathic, you name it I've tried it. They don't work. I wonder if part of my issue is the fact that I take antidepressants during the day (plus the abilify and seroquel are antidepressants, but tranquilizers, taken at night).

Frustrated and just TIRED!!!

Sounds like your sleep rhythm changes during the summer. Maybe you should try to get up at the same time you do during the school year? Fortunately I pretty much sleep like a log but I do have the same problem if I don't have to get up for work. When I was home with my broken foot I was up all night half the time.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

that's probably part of the problem. I could be up all night if I wanted to, but I don't want to, lol. The school year kicks my butt come september when I need to get back to the right times. I've been trying really hard to get to bed on time, even early, and when the meds work, they work. But sometimes, I just can't sleep worth crap! Like now. Wide awake. Wondering what to do. I have no money so I can't go shopping, lol, otherwise I'd be at Walmart or somewhere that I could spend money. But alas, all I have is a 1 dollar bill in my wallet that needs to last me until this coming Thursday. Not good.

Get a book, that might do the trick...and thats free at the library
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I don't have that problem. I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat!!

Have you tried a glass of wine before bed? I know with the meds you're on that you shouldn't drink, but a glass of wine, or a beer, sure couldn't hurt.

BTW - what time do you go to bed for the night? Not too early, do you?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I really feel for you! I just have a problem from time to time when I am off where I will sleep about a hour and that's it. I get tired of filpping and flopping in the bed and just get up! I have gotten up, made a pot of coffee, drank it and went back to bed at 6am and slept good..

I just couldn't imagine not sleeping night after night! That has to be hard on the body and emotional well being.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    This is just getting crazy. I know a lot of it has to do with the fact that I don't get enough exercise during the day, but when I'm awake in the middle of the night like this, it just drives me nuts.

I'm on all kinds of sleep meds (lunesta, seroquel, xanax to relax me, and the doctor is adding another one that needs to be taken with benedryl to work right). I'm just so fed up. I take nothing and I'm awake for DAYS. I take meds, I'm awake, but not for days, just hours until I collapse.

I know it will be better when school starts, but at times like this, it's so frustrating. I've tried every over the counter med I could find, the homeopathic, you name it I've tried it. They don't work. I wonder if part of my issue is the fact that I take antidepressants during the day (plus the abilify and seroquel are antidepressants, but tranquilizers, taken at night).

Frustrated and just TIRED!!!

Join the club....I fall asleep anywhere anytime during the day so it must be interrupting my sleep at night. I have no problem getting to sleep but after 2 hours tops I'm wide awake. Either pain is waking me or just plain no reason , but either way, I'm wide awake , especially if a new moon is around the corner.
    I get up and go sit in my lounger and turn the tv on or I read. I bring a blanket to snuggle up in and after an hour or so I fall asleep for a few hours. .
    We're having big changes in temps at night now, drops to 4 or 6 degrees and I think it has a lot to do with it. Only a few weeks ago I had the a/c all night and now I have the furnace set for heat in case the house gets colder than 68 .
    Watch those benzos, don't stay on that too long...I have a friend who has Alzheimer's because she was on those every night for the last 35 yrs. Needless to say her doctor was a real pill pusher. I make myself as tired as I can during the day and it seems to help. My daughter has the same problem and she looks like a zombie after a sleepless night. Guess you have lots of company, we should start a club for the sleepless...
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I have no trouble sleeping at night. As long as I go to bed and get up at the same time every day and don't sleep during the day.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

I think I finally fell asleep around 4 or 5am. Not good. I'm awake now, but still want to sleep cause I 'm just so exhausted. I didn't take a 2nd dose of meds, I wanted to, but I'm so close to being out, I won't have a dose for Wednesday night if I take an extra one before then. ( I get paid on thursday, the only reason wednesday has anything to do with anything at all, lol. so, no funds for refills till thursday. )

I was up and baked some pound cake last night. I was sooo bored. I have a book to read but that doesn't make me tired, it just gets me more into the book and I don't want to put it down. It's not one that I really want to read anyway, one of the girls left it here and it looks like a sappy love story (Dear John it's called, based on a movie I believe).

My psychiatrist wants me to try a new sleep med... along with all the others.... but I have to take it with benedryl. I don't understand why I should want to take a new med if it's only effective with something like benedryl. I am guessing it makes you loopy because of the benedryl.

Right now I'm on Seroquel (an add on for depression, but is used for sleeplessness), Abilify (another add on, but is a tranquilizer), Lunesta, and Xanax (I think that's what it is... I have the generic). Now they want me to go on the one where I need the benedryl yet too.

I stopped taking the wellbutrin during the day, I just didn't like it and I thought it was screwing up my sleep, and I've cut back on my Lexapro, but other than that, I think I just need a really good day of work to make me tired. This happened last summer too. I'd go down to the pool and swim at 2 or 3 am for an hour or so. I've done that a few times this summer, but last night I was at my place (still here) and I don't have a pool or anything like that to go out and do at 3am safely.

SIGH. I so want to go back to bed, but then I know I'll be in trouble tonight.

Whoever asked when I go to bed, it's usually around 10 or 11pm. I've tried going earlier, but that didn't work with the meds. It's like I have to be tired in order for them to work. Last night I took them and I wasn't tired, part of the problem.

It was for a totally different reason - but the mom of one of my friends went into hospital for a while to just wean her off all her meds, get her system somewhat clean and start all over again.

Hope you find an answer soon. I also hated Wellbutrin - I called it "Hellbutrin". lol

ETA: There is a forum called Crazyboards.org and they have a section on Sleep Disorders. http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/in...ance-to-dream/

It's free to register, and is non-professional. You can lurk and see what other people have found that works for them (or not).
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    I think I finally fell asleep around 4 or 5am. Not good. I'm awake now, but still want to sleep cause I 'm just so exhausted. I didn't take a 2nd dose of meds, I wanted to, but I'm so close to being out, I won't have a dose for Wednesday night if I take an extra one before then. ( I get paid on thursday, the only reason wednesday has anything to do with anything at all, lol. so, no funds for refills till thursday. )

I was up and baked some pound cake last night. I was sooo bored. I have a book to read but that doesn't make me tired, it just gets me more into the book and I don't want to put it down. It's not one that I really want to read anyway, one of the girls left it here and it looks like a sappy love story (Dear John it's called, based on a movie I believe).

My psychiatrist wants me to try a new sleep med... along with all the others.... but I have to take it with benedryl. I don't understand why I should want to take a new med if it's only effective with something like benedryl. I am guessing it makes you loopy because of the benedryl.

Right now I'm on Seroquel (an add on for depression, but is used for sleeplessness), Abilify (another add on, but is a tranquilizer), Lunesta, and Xanax (I think that's what it is... I have the generic). Now they want me to go on the one where I need the benedryl yet too.

I stopped taking the wellbutrin during the day, I just didn't like it and I thought it was screwing up my sleep, and I've cut back on my Lexapro, but other than that, I think I just need a really good day of work to make me tired. This happened last summer too. I'd go down to the pool and swim at 2 or 3 am for an hour or so. I've done that a few times this summer, but last night I was at my place (still here) and I don't have a pool or anything like that to go out and do at 3am safely.

SIGH. I so want to go back to bed, but then I know I'll be in trouble tonight.

Whoever asked when I go to bed, it's usually around 10 or 11pm. I've tried going earlier, but that didn't work with the meds. It's like I have to be tired in order for them to work. Last night I took them and I wasn't tired, part of the problem.

Did the same Dr. put you on all of these meds at the same time? Sounds
    like a heck of a lot to be taking. Maybe you should visit the Dr. to see if some
    of these meds are working against each other. Can't hurt. Good luck.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Could it be that you are over-medicated? Sounds like you're taking a lot of rather powerful meds, and sometimes with so many different ones, they just counteract each other. Just a thought..........

Wellbutrin - the drug from hell! That's one scary med. I think it should be banned!!! Nervous break down in a bottle......

ETA: I saw Liz's post after I sent this. Great minds think alike......
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Hope you find an answer soon. I also hated Wellbutrin - I called it "Hellbutrin". lol

OMG.... that's exactly what I called it!!!! I was a shrew on wellbutrin!

I was wondering if I was overmedicated myself. Yes, the same doctor put me on all these meds. I trust him, but wonder sometimes about the meds he puts me on.... like the Wellbutrin. even the nurse at the other doctor I go to said "He put you on THAT???" she knew that my Lexapro works ok, and just said that it's such in the opposite direction from where Lexapro and Zoloft are, she was worried about the interactions. I didn't like it and stopped it myself.

I've been trying to get myself off the Lexapro, but it's been really hard. I've been cutting it down and cutting it down, but when I went for almost a week without it, I was light headed, dizzy, headachey, and just felt like crap. I felt too incapacitated to drive. So... back on the Lexapro. Maybe I need to wean myself off of it even slower than what I was doing. I was just hoping to have it done before school started. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Wellbutrin - the drug from hell! That's one scary med. I think it should be banned!!! Nervous break down in a bottle......

as I said with candace's post, I called it Hellbutrin. It made me nervous, edgy, and bitchy like you wouldn't believe!!! Poor Dave, he really puts up with a lot from me!! I try to keep myself so even around him, but it's so easy to just say something and not think about what I just said, it just slips out sometimes, and then I feel like crap. Why is it that we are the nastiest to the people we are the closest to sometimes?? Is it because we feel like they'll take it and know what we are going through so won't hold it against us??