Thread: Some questions for reptile owners

Some questions for reptile owners

I have a few questions regarding care of the leopard gecko we got last week and I know there are a lot of people here who are experienced at caring for reptiles.

1. Is it possible to over-feed a leopard gecko?

Coconut (the gecko) will eat all of the food he is offered (even dead crickets). We've been feeding him a mixture of meal worms and "gut-loaded" crickets. I've been giving him about 5-6 meal worms and 3-4 crickets/day. I want to make sure I'm giving him enough but not too much- I think he's probably about 4 months old. Also, should I offer him more if he seems hungry?

2. How often should you wash the reptile carpet?

We've been removing droppings as soon as we see them, but how often should we actually remove the carpet and clean it?

Thanks for your help! We are out of batteries at the moment, but as soon as we get some of the camera I'll post some pictures. Coconut is quite cute.

Leos store extra fat in their tails, so while it's probably possible to over-feed them in the long run, unless he's having trouble dragging his tail around I wouldn't worry about it! At his age he's still got a lot of growing to do. As long as his tail stays nice and plump, you're doing just fine!

When I used carpet I tried to give it a thorough washing every 2 weeks or so. Since you're spot-cleaning it every day, you might not have to do it so often.

Reptile care

Hi there,
    There is definitely possible to overfeed a reptile, they have a belly just like us )
    You can find more reptile care tips here and here.

Reptiles/L. Geckos

Leopard Geckos will live to be 20 years old if taken care of right. I had 3 that lived to be 18 years old. They had their own cages.
    They are very cat like in habits of hunting and bathroom. I fed my live crickets every 2 weeks and crickets were dusted one time
    with vitamins and next time calcium. They switch their tails when hunting crickets and only used 1 spot for bathroom. I used redwood bark and it made it easier to clean out the dirty spot. I gave them a bark hide away but sometimes they like to bury themselves. I had a self watering dish as well a heat lamp with a reptile bulb of no more than 75 degrees. The heat lamp was a
    a timer where it would go off around noontime for 30 minutes and then it turns back on again. I suggest if you can't find a retile
    bulb at Pets Mart maybe there is a local pet shop that specializes in reptiles. That's where I got mine. I hope you have a 10 gallon long glass aquarium for you Gecko. Also remember Amazon.com has everything almost. I had a cage for crickets and fed them baby cereal and fish flakes.I had a huge plastic cricket cage and bought 500 crickets at a time. The cage red wood bark
    carrots for moisture. I found a place that sells livestock supplies. I bought quite a few of the water bottles for baby chicks. Its
    a self watering bottle with a round top with big holes for baby chicks to use and is safe for crickets too. I checked 2 times the water bottle if there were any dead crickets. Look around on line to buy crickets. I liked Faluckers. Phew! I hope this helps you.