Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roof turkey!

Side bar... It is very rarely a good idea to feed wild animals. If they are otherwise healthy, just enjoy them as they are.

Wild animals SHOULD be wary of people. Especially species that are hunted. If you feed them, you make them familiar with people and that rarely ends well for the animal when hunting season comes. It is better for both the animal and the people to just let them be.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

We have quite a few wild turkeys out here. I think what you have is a "she" perhaps? I think the males are much prettier with the big tail feathers that you see in the pictures. The females are a bit umm..not so attractive? LOL! I usually hear the gobble gobble before I actually see them. Love that noise! Makes me laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by kitten645 View Post
    We have quite a few wild turkeys out here. I think what you have is a "she" perhaps? I think the males are much prettier with the big tail feathers that you see in the pictures. The females are a bit umm..not so attractive? LOL! I usually hear the gobble gobble before I actually see them. Love that noise! Makes me laugh!
    SOME hens do have beards, but it would be a one in 10 million bird for a hen to have a beard as long as the one in the pic. What is more rare is a hen with spurs, which that bird also has. The spur you can see is small, so it is most likely a young male. AKA "jake".

The common vision of a turkey, with its tail feathers all 'poofed' out on display generally only happens in the spring during mating time.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Right, we saw plenty of the "tail spread wide" and heard plenty of turkey yelling in the spring.

No, we don't feed them, they do fine without help, and we don't want to encourage too much dependence on people.
    I've Been Frosted

The turkey settled down on the roof for the night, he was still there at 3:30 a.m., and left in the morning. I guess it was a decent spot, and out of the wind, as the orientation of the neighbor's roof is perpendicular to the street, and ours parallels it. It was certainly safe from cats!
    I've Been Frosted

Good idea not to feed them. I understand in a neighboring town they chase kids with ice cream cones! And they are FAST! LOL! There was a warning to "Drop the cone!"

Richard's right, invite him for dinner, or as dinner, but no don't eat him. Freeze him for the New Year's dinner. Just kidding. Hope he is ok now. Wonder where he might be if he left.

Now I understand the Amendment about the right to bear arms.
    It was written that way to protect the public against roaming drunk turkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by sana View Post
    Wonder where he might be if he left.
    Probably in the next door neighbours freezer.
    I'd say the mayor's next Thanksgiving dinner will be a tad more expensive than theirs next door.

We don't shoot any turkeys here, and this guy was a young jake and wouldn't amount to much, likely in any case. There are woods and parks around, and a very large cemetery that has plenty of space, trees, ponds and shrubs.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post
    Probably in the next door neighbours freezer.
    I'd say the mayor's next Thanksgiving dinner will be a tad more expensive than theirs next door.
    haha, nice one!

Thank you for sharing! Loved seeing that turkey, lol.

Wild turkeys roam in certain parts of RI, but not here where I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    The turkey settled down on the roof for the night, he was still there at 3:30 a.m., and left in the morning. I guess it was a decent spot, and out of the wind, as the orientation of the neighbor's roof is perpendicular to the street, and ours parallels it. It was certainly safe from cats!
    3:30 AM?! A party-animal turkey, maybe? Karen, thank you for the picture and story! We don't see anything like that around here.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

When I worked (slaved?) on the golf course, there were roaming bands of wild turkeys all over the course. I think they were getting used to seeing all of the golfers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    3:30 AM?! A party-animal turkey, maybe? Karen, thank you for the picture and story! We don't see anything like that around here.
    He wasn't very active at 3:30 a.m., just woke up enough to check if I was a danger to be wary of, them settled back down.
    I've Been Frosted