Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PT prayers requested please.

Hybrid View

PT prayers requested please.

Hi guys, not sure how many of you remember me, it's been a while.
    My Collie, Molly, who is almost 10 years old now was taken to the vet this morning after she had experienced what seemed to be a seizure. Our vet is still unsure of her exact diagnosis because so far she has been acting fine in that sense. She is having blood/liver tests done along with a few other things so we will know the results by tomorrow morning. She's been in sort of a downward spiral for the past couple of weeks with other issues but I'm hoping this is something that will have a "positive" outlook.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I appreciate it.

Julie

Awww, prayers on the way for pretty Molly!
    I've Been Frosted

of course I remember you.
    Prayers on the way for beautiful molly and you too!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Many prayers for Molly...
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Many good thoughts for your sweetie..they are our 4-legged kids.

I'm sending lots of thoughts and prayers out for Molly and family. I hope you're going to be fine, gorgeous girl. You are so beautiful.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Well, she's had a couple of fits today, though not as bad as what I've seen previously. I did some research on the medication and thyroids in general, and from what I've read up on, around 70% of dogs who have thyroid problems also experience seizures too. So, it does point to her having actual seizures instead of something else. What we're going to do now is put her back on the thyro-tabs and in 3-4 weeks take her back to the vet so they can test her T3/T4 levels and adjust the dose accordingly as needed (as Catlady said). This is what was planned on when she first started the thyroid meds almost 2 week ago, so we're pretty much back on schedule with that.

We're also going to put her on potassium bromide, though it'll affect her legs, it won't affect her liver or her thyroid, compared to the other medication. They're going to first put her on a "loading dose" to get her to a certain level, and once that happens she's put on a "maintenance dose." If she somehow can't tolerate the higher doses at first, they're going to just go ahead and put her on the maintenance dose instead. From there, we take her back 2 months after she starts this medication to see if any progress has been made. That's the overall plan for now.. may change should complications arise before or after all of this. I'm most concerned with her quality of life -- but for now, she seems to be perking up a little bit and that's all that matters. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted. Thanks again everyone.

I'll keep sending thoughts and prayers. Feel better, sweetheart!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

It sounds like you are educating yourself well and trying to find the root cause of everything, and it seems like you are heading in the right direction. I hope things continue to look up, and she starts to act more like herself with these changes. Keep us updated....werent you going to school for Vet Tech, or was that someone else?

Thanks both of you. She started the other meds yesterday and so far, so good. She absolutely hates taking it (it's in liquid form so we have to squirt it into her mouth) but she's happy with the treat that comes after that.

Miranda, yes that was me. I'm a pre-vet major. Applying for vet school probably within the next year or so!

Ah, the joys of medicating reluctant animals. At least she likes the treat that follows! Any chance you have a compounding pharmacy handy that could make it yummier - like liver-flavored or something?

Prayers still being said for your pretty girl.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenRetrLuver View Post
    Miranda, yes that was me. I'm a pre-vet major. Applying for vet school probably within the next year or so!
    Well i am very glad that she is doing better, and I don't blame her!! i hate taking meds!

So what is a pre-vet major? Are you going to be a vet or a vet tech? because I am going to go to school for Vet Tech this fall (after we get a house and get settled a bit more- doing too many big changes does not work well for me )

Well, she's not doing so well again. She's having a very hard time getting up and walking around and is acting extremely lethargic. I'm reading up on a few issues and it now seems like she's showing signs of Cushing's Disease. Her symptoms pretty much match all of the ones listed. We're stopping the seizure medication for a few days to see if that makes a difference, yet we're still going to continue giving her the thyro-tabs. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again everyone.

I'm so sorry to hear about your beautiful girl I do hope something is figured out and everything is OK with her.

It's nice to see you back on PT, although I'm sorry it's under these circumstances. I'll keep her in my thoughts. Give the pups a hug for me, please.

Any updates?

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org