Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My neighbor... the sexual offender

Don't just read about self defence. See if you can find a women's self defence class. I did. It was fantastically empowering!!

I am surprised no one has mentioned this before, but maybe another dog? A bigger dog?

Be on your guard, keep your doors locked but don't be afraid in your own home. Take precautions but enjoy your new life. He seems to be setting a boundary for himself and not getting real close to you during your encounters. Ensure that is maintained, don't let him come any closer. You'll learn how to do that in the self defence class. What was truly funny in my class was a 60 year old woman was able to use just her voice to keep the "padded attacker" at bay, he couldn't get near her to grab her. She was hugely powerful just using her voice.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop View Post
    I am surprised no one has mentioned this before, but maybe another dog? A bigger dog?
    it might not have been mentioned here - but it was when she posted this to facebook. She already has two dogs, both are good sized, yet skinny. Being a young, newly singleton, one income home-owner, a 3rd dog might not be in the financial cards, tho I'm sure Kimmie would love it! lol
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Quote Originally Posted by shais_mom View Post
    That said, missy, when's the PT meeting gonna be at your house?! That'll scare ANY sexual offender away!
    LOL!!!

In the past Kia has growled at two men (strangers). But she also tucked tail and ran when my dad jumped out from behind a tree at a friend and I in the middle of the night. So I guess it'd be 50/50 with her.

I'd actually be more worried that someone would seriously hurt them if they did interfere.

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone.

I'm not going to quote everything, I'll just touch on some points.

I'm not out to make this guy's life a living hell. Frankly, he did that himself with the choices he made.

According to him, he's lived there 9 months (which I'm sure is the truth as it coincides with his parole date). Kids have been playing in the street and riding their bikes. As far as I can tell everyone on the block gets along and things do seem calm. The last thing I want to do is get on this guys bad side and stir a hornets nest.

I'm not sure what other neighbor he mows the lawn for. I'm not sure of the radius on his GPS ankle bracelet. He can obviously come onto my entire property without it going off.

I do not want to confront him unnecessarily. If he continues to keep to himself, all the better for me. But if he tries to cross a line, I'll let him know in no uncertain terms am I interested and that I'd like to be left alone.

As for the house, I'm locked in. It's a contract with the government (HUD). I must live in the house for one year. Can't be rented out. Can't be sold. After a year, I can do whatever I want with the house.

I'm not going to let him force me to move anyway. I like the house and I like the area.

He knows I have the dogs, but I never told him they were friendly. They look and act friendly, but he has no idea if they've been trained to attack. I'll keep it that way. And Staci is right, a third dog just isn't in the cards right now.

I plan on getting ahold of the parole officer and introducing myself and explaining how I've moved in and if there is anything I should be on watch for.

I'll look into self defense classes in the area. Many friends and my grandma recommended ADT so I'll give them a call as well and get an estimate.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Kim,
    Do a self defence class - I have been practising Martial Arts for over 25 years, and it becomes second nature - which is what you want.

I think if you keep your distance, and he is keeping his, things will work both ways.

AND

If you do have a PT gathering, invite Gini (and she can invite all the firemen she knows!!!) and Phred (who can do the same)

Hehehehehe

Take care
    M
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Just remember you pass these kind of people all the time and don't know it, one should always be aware and careful. It is creepy living next to him but hopefully he wouldn't want to risk his parole.

Tell him you have a boyfriend if it comes up and he lives there but he works odd hours or something, then he won't know when he is there.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    if you do have a pt gathering, invite gini (and she can invite all the firemen she knows!!!) and phred (who can do the same)

hehehehehe

take care
    m
    i'm there!

My friend rented her downstairs apartment to a woman and her daughter. My friend noticed that the mailman accidentally put mail for the tenant in her mailbox. Turned out the return address was from a maximum security prison. It seems the prisoner it was from, is the baby daddy. After doing a little background check, we find out he's a registered sex offender. She asked my friend if he could move in with them when he gets out of prison. I told her that unless her Mom wants her address listed as the home of a sex offender, the answer would be "oh hell no!!" She told her that her lease specifically states only she and her daughter are allowed to live in the apartment. There's been so much chaos going on, loud company, cigarette butts strewn all over the property, late rent, that her mother has decided not to renew her lease. Very wise on her part.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Leave things alone and don't stir up a hornet's nest. As long as he is living by the rules of his parole and "keeping his nose clean", then let him be. Just maybe he is trying to turn his life around, and as long as he isn't bothering or threatening anyone, what would be the point of making his life more difficult than it already is? Printing out his record and flaunting it in his face will serve no purpose at all, other than to inflame the situation. Let sleeping dogs lie. Only if he does step out of line, should you feel the need to take defensive action. JMHO of course.......
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I am SURE the neighbourhood already knows. He has kept his distance so far - and you are safe to keep yours.

Take all the normal precautions you would regarding locks, alarms, etc.

Although his crime was unspeakable, he is paying for it with a GPS bracelet - a life of distance from people. Imagine living with Big Brother on your ankle all your life.

Not making excuses for the guy - just that he has a life no on would envy. I hope he "recovers" - that is a horrible thing to live down and to get rid of.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Leave things alone and don't stir up a hornet's nest. As long as he is living by the rules of his parole and "keeping his nose clean", then let him be. Just maybe he is trying to turn his life around, and as long as he isn't bothering or threatening anyone, what would be the point of making his life more difficult than it already is? Printing out his record and flaunting it in his face will serve no purpose at all, other than to inflame the situation. Let sleeping dogs lie. Only if he does step out of line, should you feel the need to take defensive action. JMHO of course.......
    I wish PET TALK had a LIKE or DISLIKE on here like Facebook does.
    b/c I would LIKE this! I agree that printing out the info and flaunting it in his face is unnessary. Why try to start trouble where there isn't any? And then Kimmie will be branded as a $hit-stirrer, and she hasn't even hardly moved in yet!

I wish PET TALK had a LIKE or DISLIKE on here like Facebook does.
    b/c I would LIKE this!
    Oh, but Staci, we aren't as interested in collecting all your personal data and preferences for our own financial gain like Facebook is! I rarely "like" anything on Facebook, as the less anonymous entities know about me, the better!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post

Kim,
    If you do have a PT gathering,
    invite Gini (and she can invite all the firemen she knows!!!) and
    Phred (who can do the same)
    Ya want the TRUCKS, too ?

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Oh, but Staci, we aren't as interested in collecting all your personal data and preferences for our own financial gain like Facebook is! I rarely "like" anything on Facebook, as the less anonymous entities know about me, the better!
    ok.
    I belong to another forum that is vbulletin based and while they don't have like or dislike they have an option to "THANK" the previous poster for their post. I kind of like that too.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    ok.
    I belong to another forum that is vbulletin based and while they don't have like or dislike they have an option to "THANK" the previous poster for their post. I kind of like that too.
    That's a good idea......
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Couldn't agree more...printing it out and taking it to him has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!