Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am still around, Can't go back to work

I am still around, Can't go back to work

My crew caught the boat without me last week. I Have been having a problem that no matter what I did.. I couldn't get rid of it so I had to go to the doctor. VERTIGO! The worst vertigo that I have ever had in my whole life. I am talking vertigo so bad that it woke me up out of a sound sleep when I would roll over. I have had mild vertigo before, about 3 or 4 episodes in the last 30 years that were very mild (compared to this), that only lasted a few days then went away on their own. This is like 1000 times worse and will not go away.

I'd had a sinus infection, result of allergies in April so me and my PCP just figured I still had some infection in there and he gave me antibiotics to take. A week into them, I was no better so I went back and he gave me a stronger antibiotic and a week into those, I still was no better and my time was running out before I was due back to work. I took matters in my own hands and called a ENT and they got me in the next day. He has grounded me... NO driving and NO boat until he sees me again in 2 weeks. He gave me a sheet of exercises to do for 2 week (with my head) and told me to take that supplement Lipo-Flavonoid. So there is no easy, quick fix for what I have. He wans to see me back in 2 weeks, I am scheduled for a test (that sounds wicked) on Aug 13th to see if it is gone or what(?) and will see him right after the test to get the results.

This explains what I have been going through to a "T"..
    http://www.doctorhoffman.com/wwbppv.htm

This explained the test as she described it to me that I am having on the 13th..
    http://www.webmd.com/brain/electrony...am-for-vertigo

She had said they would put air in my ear and it really hits a lot of people hard and makes them sick so I am not to eat or drink anything the day of the test. I am NOT looking forwards to that! Anybody here ever had this test and know how long those effects last?

So my crew is on the boat now without me! They were in Baton Rouge over the week end, so close but so far away from me. Right now I have no idea how long I will have to be off and I am so tired of sitting here at the house. Can't use this time to run the roads since I am grounded from driving and have to depend on Rie to take me where ever I need to go. This just SUCKS!

On the brighter side, I asked the person who called me to set up my test about rather I was doing these exercises right or not because they were making me nauseated when I do them. She said if they are making me nauseated, that means they are working. When I first started them, they made the vertigo so BAD.... now it isn't as bad while I do them, so maybe I am making progress.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Oh my my Laura.. I am so sorry to read this.. I sure hope you get better real soon.. I have had in the past years mild case of Vertigo.. I think it was due to my suger count & blood pressure.. Mine cleared up..

Do stay home & let the babies take care of you.. Now is your daughter taken you to the doctor & getting stuff you need?? I am sure she is.. Well get better real soon & just take the time to rest.. Keep us posted ok.. Huggss && Prayers

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

So NOT fun! Sorry to be reading this Laura. I know someone who had lingering vertigo after a sinus infection. It took a bit but those exercises did it for her.

Try to enjoy this time with your fur kids! They are loving having mom with them for a bit longer than usual.

Praying for a speedy recovery for you.

Laura,

I had that test many many years ago and I hate to tell you...it is NOT fun. Of course when I had it they also tilted the table, ran a flashing light in front of me, put a small balloon in the ear and filled it with warm water, and all sorts of other wonderful stuff, so if it just the air they are doing....

I hope you feel better soon. I'm glad the exercises seem to be working. As someone else said, let the furrbabies take care of you and try to relax a bit. Take care!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    She had said they would put air in my ear and it really hits a lot of people hard and makes them sick so I am not to eat or drink anything the day of the test. I am NOT looking forwards to that! Anybody here ever had this test and know how long those effects last?
    I think I might have had this test done on me years ago. I was having dizzy spells when I'd turn corners or stand up too fast. I went to an ENT and they did the test with air in my ears. I was so sick the lady had to grab the garbage can for me and I was crying uncontrollably. She said nobody has ever reacted like that before. But they did not have me not eat or drink that day, that I can remember.
    My results were I had allergies and took Claritin to help. But once I moved up north again the Claritin made me too sleepy so I stopped and I haven't had the problem again.

I'm sorry you are missing work and are "grounded". But you just enjoy your extra time with the girls and I hope you are feeling better soon.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Trinityagain View Post
    Laura,

I had that test many many years ago and I hate to tell you...it is NOT fun. Of course when I had it they also tilted the table, ran a flashing light in front of me, put a small balloon in the ear and filled it with warm water, and all sorts of other wonderful stuff, so if it just the air they are doing....

I hope you feel better soon. I'm glad the exercises seem to be working. As someone else said, let the furrbabies take care of you and try to relax a bit. Take care!
    Yes, the flashing light! I didn't know how to describe that. I had to watch a red flashing light go back and forth in front of me. But I was sitting up in a chair and I don't remember water or a balloon, but it was so long ago. I try NOT to remember it.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

My mom also had physio treatment for the vertigo - several sessions and it worked great! The therapist used the method described below.

Check this one out...sounds more comfortable.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Vertigo runs in my family. My mom, two sisters and myself all get spells of vertigo. I have not really had any tests done but mom has. They pretty much just give her Meclizine and she sleeps it off until it is over.

It is not a fun thing to have at all. Hang in there and hopefully they can help.

I think I might have had this test done on me years ago. I was having dizzy spells when I'd turn corners or stand up too fast. I went to an ENT and they did the test with air in my ears. I was so sick the lady had to grab the garbage can for me and I was crying uncontrollably. She said nobody has ever reacted like that before. But they did not have me not eat or drink that day, that I can remember
    She did tell me that this is the worst part of the test for most people and when most of them get sick... Some just mildly sick, some of them... pretty bad!

I already got the idea it is NOT going to be fun or something I am going to like. I already figured I will walk in that place and probably have to crawl out of there and BETTER take something to throw up in on the way home. I am SO prone to motion sickness and when I get it bad, it takes me DAYS to get over it... I am hoping that is not the case but am afraid that will be what happens. Since I am expected to see the doctor right after the test, I am wondering how much he will charge me if I throw up on him or the exam room? Am I going to be expected to remember what he tells me after THAT?

The ONLY reason why I agreed to do this test is so I can know 100% what this is and get it FIXED! I am now coming to realize, there is no quick fix and there is a good possiability.... I will not be returning back to work this trip.

Laura, the test doesn't sound fun, but I hope it will go OK! At least you will find out what it is and be able to do something about it.

Best of luck and take care!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Oh My, that's horrible, Laura. I've had a few episodes, but not like yours. My nephew had an attack while driving his truck to work, and had to ask a pedestrian to call 911. They hospital thought he was on drugs. I don't remember the tests, but they gace him something for nausea and antibiotics. He's been Ok since, but since he's an electrician, and climbs ladders, it's always on his mind.

I hope it's nothing serious, but I'm glad you're going for tests since vertigo is not normal. Sorry you had to miss your boating trip. Wishing you the best...

I've been Boooo'd!

Hoping you will be better soon. Dizzyness can't be easy. Sending hugs and best wishes to you.

I think those excercises are working for the dizziness! Yesterday was a great day and in doing the excercises, I have little to no dizziness! None last night when I laid down and am feeling great this morning! I am getting my hopes up SO high that there is a end to this soon!

I am going to be somewhat ticked off if all I needed to do was something so simple as these excercises to get rid of it! I could have done that and been back to work on time!! (If I had known about them) You can BET, I will keep that excercise sheet for the future in case I get this again so I can start doing them at the first signs of any vertigo! I am feeling better than I have felt in a month!

Wow Laura, I have never heard of this stuff before. I have no answers for you, but I certainly am glad that those exercises are helping!! YAY!!! And maybe if you throw up on the doctor hell give you a discount? hehe.

FANTASTIC!! Great to hear! I had positional vertigo years ago and it was horrid, and it's great to have things normal again!

Do you still need to have the test then?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda