Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever Get the Shakes??

Ever Get the Shakes??

HI All-

I was wondering how many of you have ever experienced shaky hands and feeling all over trembles.

I've had this for a pretty long time, and it doesn't happen all the time. Usually before lunch time or in the morning.

I was doing some research and I'm wondering if it's too much caffeine or not but at times that doesn't make sense since I tend to drink caffeine over the weekends and I don't always get this.

I'm having it again at this moment, the shaky hands, feeling of overall a slight tremble so I did call the doctor just to see if they could run a blood test without having to go in for an appt. yeah that was just a dream, they want to see me so I have an appt. set up for 9:15 am on Wed.

I'm just thinking everytime they thought I was diabetic but my levels were always good.

Who knows...any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Melissa

Yes if I have not eaten all day - then I get the shakes.. I also get it real bad when I am having a anxiety attack of some sort..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

You might be getting a drop in blood sugar - doesn't mean you're diabetic. I get it sometimes when I don't eat regularly. I also get a very cold nose when it happens! If you can't get food right away, drink a glass of juice to help you along until you can eat.

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Yes - I too sometimes get a crash in blood sugar, yet am not diabetic. I get shaky and light-headed and sick to my stomach. It's usually associated with my not so regular eating habits, and if I eat something or drink some juice, it usually remedies the situation.

ETA: What I used to do while I was still working - I always kept a granola bar or a small pack of cookies in my desk drawer in case it hit me at work. Not a bad idea to carry something like this in your purse also, should it hit you while you're driving!
    Last edited by pomtzu; 08-02-2010 at 01:09 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Most often that is a low blood sugar reaction. You didn't eat enough, or were more active than usual, or both!

Just eat something with some simple carbohydrates in it: 6 ounces of orange juice, 5 life savers candies. That will help you for 20 to 30 minutes -- just long enough to arrange a proper meal.

I'm feeling semi-better now.

Here's the weird part is I had plenty of b-fast and lunch yeah I did get hungry before I was able to eat but I just don't know. I'm still feeling a little weird at the moment but I'm sure that will pass.

Maybe I had too much sugar this morning or something. I can never seem to pin point exactly why or how to not let this happen again.

I now have a bit of headache but I'll get over that. Just wacky how this happens. I sometimes wonder if it's this fat free cap. drink that I have in the morning but then I have more than the 2 cups on the weekend usually and I don't get like this.

Maybe I just need to do better planning on what to eat or something. I figured I may just go in and talk with the pa and let her know what's up to see if they might just want to check my thyroid since I haven't had that checked in over a year and I'm on meds for it but I don't know really what they do for me.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

It sounds like your basic hypoglycemia, but shaking hands can come from other things, so you should talk to your doctor.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Yes I so aggree.. Talk to a Doctor.. Now may I ask could you be Pregnant??

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    It sounds like your basic hypoglycemia, but shaking hands can come from other things, so you should talk to your doctor.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by lvpets2002 View Post
    Yes I so aggree.. Talk to a Doctor.. Now may I ask could you be Pregnant??
    I wish....although I know with our situation it just isn't possible. I have to stay on continuous birth control pills so I don't get a period in order to stop cramping and to keep my endometriosis calm or hopefully calm. I just finished my 6 month lupron injection which put me through menopause. I was 23-24 when I went through my first 6 months of lupron and now I'm 30 and I went through it again. They are hoping by stopping my periods like this it will keep the endo from growing hopefully.

Also, with my back issues, if I put more weight on my back even if it is just for 9 months I just don't know how much damage I could do...plus then there is lifting a child up and down and I'm now on a 20 lb. weight limit.

I'm just glad I can lift my cats, there are days I can't if I'm having a bad day but luckily lately I've been doing much better.

I had a vet appt. tonight and I was home by 6:15 p.m. and I grabbed a quick snack but that wasn't enough, I still got the shakes. Not sure what my deal is. Maybe I just need to learn to relax

Melissa

It could be hyperglacemia(spelling) or low blood sugar. I tend to get the shakes too at times and my mom gets it bad and she has low blood sugar. So it could be that.
    In loving memory of Tigger 2003-2009. In loving memory of Ashes 2001-2013.

Sounds a lot like low blood sugar. I'm on insulin and this happens no matter how careful I am about eating. Ask your doctor about keeping a bottle of glucose tablets within reach and taking one or two when this hits. You can find them in just about any pharmacy. They're not a substitute for eating but will help you feel better until you can get to some food. Of course your doctor has the final word on using them (don't need a prescription).
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Yup! I get that way too, with an urge to pass out. I must get a weird look on my face, 'cause John yells "You're blood sugar is low!" I sometimes don't even feel hungry. If I can't get to food right away, I drink a bottle of water, which I always carry. It's scary. I get jittery with too much caffeine, but not woosey. I was told by the doc to eat small meals throughout the day.

I've been Boooo'd!

Quote Originally Posted by K9karen View Post
    Yup! I get that way too, with an urge to pass out. I must get a weird look on my face, 'cause John yells "You're blood sugar is low!" I sometimes don't even feel hungry. If I can't get to food right away, I drink a bottle of water, which I always carry. It's scary. I get jittery with too much caffeine, but not woosey. I was told by the doc to eat small meals throughout the day.
    I try to eat small meals throughout the day as well, and I have snacks which I do as well but it's just seeming to happen more frequent. I'm going to keep track of what I'm eating, I'm supposed to be doing that anyway since I had lap-band surgery in March 09.

I try not to have too much sugar and I thought a protein bar would of been plenty yesterday along with my snack but maybe the caffeine was too much or something. This morning I'm drinking Sheetz so hopefully it won't happen.

Thanks,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    Sounds a lot like low blood sugar. I'm on insulin and this happens no matter how careful I am about eating. Ask your doctor about keeping a bottle of glucose tablets within reach and taking one or two when this hits. You can find them in just about any pharmacy. They're not a substitute for eating but will help you feel better until you can get to some food. Of course your doctor has the final word on using them (don't need a prescription).
    Thank you I will check. I brought some juice to work today just incase it would happen again.

Thanks!
    Melissa

It sounds like a blood sugar problem to me also.

I have a crash every morning after eating Breakfast but mine is the result of
    my Blood pressure dropping very low. I have Baroreflex failure which is failure of the feedback sensors for blood pressure. This is so rare I doubt this being
    a problem for you.

If you have a friend that is diabetic you might get them to check your blood sugar during one of your episodes.
    Last edited by kokopup; 08-03-2010 at 10:31 AM.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown