Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My little Buddy is gone

My little Buddy is gone

Sadly, I lost my Buddy on Sunday morning. He was a very sweet black and white Cornish Rex who was only 12 years old. We'll never know what happened, but it was relatively fast. He had started loosing weight, then on Thursday evening he tried to jump on the bed and never made it. I put him on the bed and when he got comfortable in his blanket he let out the most horrible pained sound three times. He was still eating a little wet cat food (which had been his absolute favorite!!!!) and would drink water if I put him in the sink (his favorite watering hole). I took him to the vet Friday morning and they took blood, gave him B12 shot, fluids and sent him home with no diagnosis. When he got home that afternoon he ate a little wet food and drank a little water (for the last time). He was peeing in the litter box, but missed each time. Then it looked like he was straining to poop, so I thought maybe he was constipated. Also, he was very weak--he'd have to lay down after walking a short distance. Saturday morning back to the vet. When I picked him up he was limp as a wet noodle. He had a fever, they gave him antibiotics and pain medication and a gel enema and fluids. The X-ray did not show any blockage. He had pain if his tail was raised. This may be why he couldn't get in the right position to poop or pee correctly. The blood results were mostly normal, white cell count up a bit, but they said it would be a normal stress response. They gave me antibiotics and Meticam to start Sunday morning, but he didn't make it that far. At home, still no eating and no drinking water even though he tried for awhile in the sink. He got weaker and weaker and called out several times. He peed again, but I didn't see it, but he missed the box again (and when I say he missed the box, he was in the box but his aim was bad). Poor baby still had the instinct to use the box, but couldn't do it right. He got up one last time and seemed to be headed for the box, but stopped. I picked him up and put him in, but he could just barely stand with his legs akimbo. I put him back in his bed and at some point he cried out 3-4 times. I tried to give him water with a syringe and a little food, to no avail. Probably about 4:00 AM I noticed that he was laying flat out and he had vomited and he would twitch every once in awhile and let out a breath. I knew this was the end. I rushed him to the emergency vet and they were so kind. His heart was still beating but he was non-responsive and had brain damage. When they wheeled him in to me for the final injection I could see one pupil very large and one very small. His little body would not give up, and he seemed to be struggling for air (his mouth wide open and his tongue contorted). Finally it was over for him. You know how the Rex has those large ears? Well, his were erect and his eyes remained open, but his little mouth slowly closed. I think he probably had a stroke or threw a clot which went to the brain. Hindsight, 20 20, I probably should have just stayed home with him and he would have died before long. But I was alone and it just seemed the thing to do to bring him to the emergency vet. I don't think he was really in any pain--basically brain dead, but...I've never been with anyone (people or pet) that died like that, and I've got to say, it's not pretty. I remind myself that it was just his strong little body, trying to do what it was programmed for, and HE was actually gone, but it was painful to see him like that. I guess we'll never know what happened. He took a bad fall on 7/13, but seemed okay. The weight loss hadn't gone on for long, though I can't really remember the date I noticed. But by 7/22 (Thursday) he had acute pain and I think that the bad aim in the litter box may have been an indication of some brain impairment, and his inability to drink from the sink (even though he tried), the same. Lesson learned, be alert for the sudden weight loss and don't try to rationalize it. A good eater who suddenly won't finish his plate means something important. And I wish I had pressed them more at the vet on Saturday. I think that's when he should have been put to sleep. But I guess they just didn't know how bad off he was. Thanks for listening. I'm going to miss my little Buddy.

I'm so sorry to hear about Buddy's passing. Now he's pain free and playing happily up at Rainbow Bridge. I'm sure he's made many new friends including my Pepper, Starr, and Sunny. RIP sweet Buddy. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

I am so sorry for your loss. Sending my thoughts and prayers. Peaches sends her kisses and prayers as well.
    In loving memory of Tigger 2003-2009. In loving memory of Ashes 2001-2013.

I am so sorry you lost your Buddy. You did everything you could, please don't fall into "hindsight". Buddy is pain free and waiting happily at the Bridge. Peace.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Hindsight is always 20/20. You took excellent care of Buddy and did everything you could to make him comfortable before his illness and after. You were w/him to help him make his trip to the Rainbow Bridge and that's the last act of kindness that you would do for him and he loves you even more for it. Be at peace and be comforted in knowing that Buddy is now resting and is at complete peace. No more pain, only the good life for him from now on until the day when your sweet reunion takes place.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thank you all for your kind and understanding words. I take comfort from them.

Awww, Buddy knew he was loved every last minute of his time with you. I am sure he is now pain-fee and healthy at The Rainbow Bridge, and will send some purrs to you in your dreams to let you know he is still with you, really, just curled up in the corner of your heart for times you need him most.
    I've Been Frosted

Oh, I am so sorry for your heartbreaking loss of your beloved Buddy. What a nightmare.

He is healthy and happy at the Rainbow Bridge now, sending all his love to you and looking forward to your reunion.. One Fine Day. Your love for each other is eternal.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I am sorry for your loss of Buddy. He is playing at Rainbow Bridge and
    someday you will be together again.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

I'm sorry to hear that you and your Buddy are separated for the time being.
    Buddy doesn't even remember those traumatic last days, he's forgotten them and wishes you to forget them too, and remember him in his strength. Can you do that for him?

He's standing tall now, ears perfectly erect, eyes gleaming. He's waiting for you to arrive, at the Grand Reunion. One Fine Day.

I am so sorry to hear about your Dear Friend Buddy.
    I almost missed this as wwe lost another Pet Talker Cat also named Buddy recently.
    I am sure that both Buddies have met and along with Nutmeg have made a terrific Trio.
    It is hard to lose a Cat Companion, especially one who is fairly young, but I have sadly found that many pure bred Cats do not live as long as the Mixed Breeds.
    Buddy misses you and will visit often, and purr to let you know that he will always love you and that you will meet again in Paradise in a beautiful Place.
    One Fine Day
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I am so sorry to hear about your Buddy. Sleep softly sweet Buddy....
    Nine is Fine!!

I'm so sorry about your Buddy. I tried to post the other night when I first read your story, but my tears got in the way. You did your best for him, but it was his time to go to the Rainbow Bridge where he is healthy and happy again. He will wait for you there until you can cross the bridge together.

Rest in Peace, Buddy

XXXXXXXXXXXAll our children have paws!
    XXXXXXXXNewman, Lexie, Molly, Emma, Billy,
    XXXXXXXXJess, Jinx, Midge, Sofie, and Tiger

RIP at the Rainbow Bridge:
    Our kitties, Simmy, Duke, Blackie, Mama Cat, Riley, April, and Chloe.
    Our dogs, Shilo, Misty, Nikki, and Shadow.
    We miss you. Play gently until we meet again.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Buddy. Your story brought tears to my eyes. I've been there, it's never easy but it's sometimes what is best for them even though it's so hard to do.

My prays and thoughts are with you.

Buddy RIP.

Melissa

I'm so sorry for loss of Buddy. You did everything you could to make him comfortable and I'm sure he knew how you loved him. You will miss him, but he is free of pain now. Keep him your heart forever.

Rest in peace, Dear Buddy!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.