Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notice to users of "flushable" litter...

Notice to users of "flushable" litter...

I've been told that because cat poo can contain the toxoplasmosis bacteria, it is NOT safe to flush ANY cat poos down the toilet, as it will find it's way into our waters (i.e., sewers, waste treatment plants, etc.) I saw it on tv yesterday when they were comparing different litters. The veterinarian they were interviewing urged people when scooping their litterboxes, to put it into a bag and into the garbage.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Ah Donna that is an interesting fact, i have flushable litter, but have never put it down there, and felt bad putting it in bags and then in the garbage, i would put some in the garden, but i have such a small garden, it would not work, tried that for a while as felt bad about putting it in the rubbish bags,however will continue to do so.

Since we are speaking about litters, six months ago i had to change from recycled paper pellets as they just stopping stocking it , i was mad, but changed to clumping litter which is very like sand, and the kitties love it, and so do i so much more economical etc, yesterday we could not find it on the supermarket shelves, grrr... i was mad again, but now discovered they have improved it, in nice paper bags,instead of these annoying boxes we had and now scented with lavendar, bit more expensive, but bigger bags, so probably not much in it, now i wonder who decided that cats like the smell of lavendar, know that i do, but cats do they?anyhow they are using it faithfully, my good girls lol.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Interesting.. Well so much for all the owners that have tought their cats to use the toilets..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by lvpets2002 View Post
    Interesting.. Well so much for all the owners that have tought their cats to use the toilets..
    Yeah - what are they going to do about that? Come to think about it, I've read that some forms of hepatitis can be passed through urine.

Now, none of us can use the toilet

Hey we could all start using the Litter Box..

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Yeah - what are they going to do about that? Come to think about it, I've read that some forms of hepatitis can be passed through urine.

Now, none of us can use the toilet

<Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

lvpets2002,

I can't squat that low.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

That is what I generally do I triple bag the Found Cat's , shall we say end product and throw them in garbage cans where all the garbage is collected together in a big bag, so noone touches the litter bags!!
    That seems to be the best way to do things as we are only allowed one bag per week with a 50 pound limit
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    We've used clumping litter for years, but always the unscented. Vet once told me that some cats develop allergies or reactions to whatever they use to scent it. And since we have a septic system, flushing it down the toilet was never an option. The only thing that plastic grocery store bags are good for, is used cat litter, and it goes to the landfill with all the rest of the trash that is picked up.

My RB Meezer Ming taught himself to use the toilet - only to pee tho. I think he just liked the noise of the tinkle! Dummy never learned how to flush when he was done tho!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Cats don't generally like "scented" litters, and I think they were made for the owners so they don't have to smell the odor of a litterbox. My RB cat Mollie Rose had severe kitty allergies and asthma. That's why I switched to Feline Pine pellets. Absorbs the urine odor and you only have to remove the solid waste daily. Once the pellets breaks down to sawdust, you dump the box and start over. It's great. No silica dust, very little tracking.

Flushable litter has been banned in California for several years because of that. They did a study and tied it directly to a certain type of sea otter dying off.

I found it very convenient when I lived in the apartment, in the winter months. Stopped using it when I heard about the otters.

oh crap i never even thought about allergies , they only make the clumped one with lavendar now, to be honest i cannot even smell it myself, and i have a good nose for smells, bad and good lol, i do hope it does not upset my kitties delicate noses, i am sure nikki has allergies she often sneezes but seems very well all the same, i guess time will tell, if that is the case then i will have to search hard for another new litter, oh joy, we have one called kitty crumble here, it looks very interesting, but is not a clumping one, which is the type i prefer really.

Well how silly of them not to do research and see whether scented litters affect the kitties, yes it probably is purely for the owners, but how dumb is that?
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    since we have a septic system, flushing it down the toilet was never an option. The only thing that plastic grocery store bags are good for, is used cat litter, and it goes to the landfill with all the rest of the trash that is picked up.
    Same here.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

all kinds of nasty bacteria go down the toilet - that is what it is for....how can toxoplasmosis in cat poop be worse than anything else? Honestly this sounds like environmental poop to me.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by sirrahbed View Post
    all kinds of nasty bacteria go down the toilet - that is what it is for....how can toxoplasmosis in cat poop be worse than anything else? Honestly this sounds like environmental poop to me.
    Good point! And it all goes thru a sewage treatment plant before it is released anywhere in the environment - right???
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

We hope!! Also drinking water is recycled too.. We Hope!!

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Good point! And it all goes thru a sewage treatment plant before it is released anywhere in the environment - right???