Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cautionary Tale

^^, having him sleep on a pillow is hard enough. I would have to lift the entire bed. I am going to do the prescription med, and something called Gaviscon, OTC, and see what happens. Oh, and tell him to lay off the wine and cigs, too, of course.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    ^^, having him sleep on a pillow is hard enough. I would have to lift the entire bed. I am going to do the prescription med, and something called Gaviscon, OTC, and see what happens. Oh, and tell him to lay off the wine and cigs, too, of course.
    Yeah - I remember how it was with little kids and pillows! Try the food thing tho, as that does make a huge difference.
    Don't laugh, but they do have lifts you can put under the legs of the bedframe to raise one end or the other, and also have foam wedges to put at the head area of the mattress so that it raises the head up. Never tried either, but they say they work.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I thought you were talking about yourself being seen by the Doctor, not
    your boy. Isn't he a bit young to be having reflux? I really had no
    idea children could have this problem, but I sure hope the medicine helps him.
    Poor baby.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I wish it were me. It was something Grace said yesterday that made me think reflux...and then I nearly fell over when the ENT said it this morning. We shall see what the med does.

To those of you that take the meds, how soon do you are/feel the results??

I wish it were me. It was something Grace said yesterday that made me think reflux...and then I nearly fell over when the ENT said it this morning. We shall see what the med does.

It's been a couple of years since I started, but I think I had relief within 4-5 days. Not long at all.

Liz, that is very scary- I'm glad you are now ok!

My husband found out he has "silent" GERD (meaning he has acid reflux but doesn't feel it) that was affecting his vocal cords/breathing. He noticed an improvement in his breathing just a few days after starting medication. He was also told certain foods were triggers and to stay away from them or use them sparingly (like coffee, tomatoes, etc). I hope your son feels better soon!

Please also contact the manufacturer about the reaction. The FDA requires pharma companies to track these. I'm glad you were able to figure it out! All the DTC ads now mention symptoms of drug allergies.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke_Corgi View Post
    Liz, that is very scary- I'm glad you are now ok!

My husband found out he has "silent" GERD (meaning he has acid reflux but doesn't feel it) that was affecting his vocal cords/breathing. He noticed an improvement in his breathing just a few days after starting medication. He was also told certain foods were triggers and to stay away from them or use them sparingly (like coffee, tomatoes, etc). I hope your son feels better soon!
    I swear I already notice a significant decrease in the throat clearing. AND, PC- J has complained about breathing problems! He said it was hard to breathe, and that was why he did the throat clearing and this mouth thing. This is all just too odd for me.

Still, however, I have no logical explanation for why the long course of antibiotics and nasal steroid did the 'trick' for the condition 4-5 times before...if it is GERD.

I swear I already notice a significant decrease in the throat clearing. AND, PC- J has complained about breathing problems! He said it was hard to breathe, and that was why he did the throat clearing and this mouth thing. This is all just too odd for me.

Still, however, I have no logical explanation for why the long course of antibiotics and nasal steroid did the 'trick' for the condition 4-5 times before...if it is GERD.
    Is it possible he also has allergies? Eric has allergies and often has a post-nasal drip (gross I know). He has a condition called Vocal Cord Dysfunction, which has symptoms of asthma but is caused by an abnormal closing of the vocal cords. Anyway, the post-nasal drip and GERD both inflamed the condition, so his doctor has prescribed steroids before to help with swelling in his throat. It did help his symptoms, but not the underlying condition. Maybe nasal steroids did the trick for your son because the area was swollen and it helped alleviate his symptoms? I hope the GERD medication continues to help him though.

Well, the rash is back, and the swelling too. The whole right side of
    my face feels like it's on fire & my right eye is so swollen. Five days on
    the pred & pills for the itching and it's no better. I've made a appt. to see
    the Dr at 2.30pm. Please send some good vibes my way if you can. Thanks.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Well, the rash is back, and the swelling too. The whole right side of
    my face feels like it's on fire & my right eye is so swollen. Five days on
    the pred & pills for the itching and it's no better. I've made a appt. to see
    the Dr at 2.30pm. Please send some good vibes my way if you can. Thanks.
    Oh dear, Liz - you will be in our prayers to find an answer and a solution that actually works! Make yourself an ice pack, and wrap it in a towel, press that against your right eye and that side of your face, it'll help with the itching at least until you can get to the doctor.
    I've Been Frosted

oh how miserable!! feel better soon! the cold towel sounds like it would feel good for now...

Please make sure it's not shingles (ask your MD about this.) They can present like that (I had sharp pains along my jawline and scalp, then the rash erupted.) If that's what it is, the good news is that antivirals exist now that do help.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Well, nothing much to update. The Dr. feels this is not so unusual and
    he just wants to continue with the Pred untill I finish the RX. (also pills for
    the itching, just increase amt per day).

I was so freaked out by the way my face looked this morning, I wanted to
    have my Doc check it out before the weekend. Looks absolutely awful.
    Cold towel compresses do help cool the skin off, thank goodness, it's just
    hard to drive anywhere while holding them.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Well, nothing much to update. The Dr. feels this is not so unusual and
    he just wants to continue with the Pred untill I finish the RX. (also pills for
    the itching, just increase amt per day).

I was so freaked out by the way my face looked this morning, I wanted to
    have my Doc check it out before the weekend. Looks absolutely awful.
    Cold towel compresses do help cool the skin off, thank goodness, it's just
    hard to drive anywhere while holding them.
    So you're not taking the Lisinopril permanently? I would have a fit, and a good long talk with my doctor if this happened to me. Seems like there should be some other medication that could be used without all these nasty problems.