Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do? Updated, more information

What would you do? Updated, more information

I was presented with this tonight by my neighbor who just lost her mother last week, she called hoping I could offer her some suggestions/help/advice.

Her Mom had 2 cats, they both are 14 years old and have been together since they were each about a year old. They have been left in the house and one of her brothers has been going by to check in on them and feed them. They are in the process of cleaning out the house and realize they need to do something about the cats since there is no one to move in to look after them. They are a family of dog people and most have multiple dogs and the cats have never been around dogs. This one would take 1 cat and another one would take 1, but no one will take both... and they're not even sure the cats would fit in with dogs. Would this age a cat never being around dogs ever accept living in a house with dogs? Then, the brother is having to go out of state real soon to work and there will be no one to look after them then.

Or do you think they would be better off, just PTS? They have lost their human and I am sure are going to grieve, then to split them up, they would grieve even more, them loose their home on top of all that, the only home they have had most of their lives.. Would they adjust to all those changes thrown on them all at one time.. Can they handle it at their age?

Abby is a Himalayan and about 10 pounds. Toby is a orangie with white and around 16 pounds, if I'm not mistaken, he is long haired. I have met them before but it was a long time ago, I just remember they were both beautiful..

So, give me your opinions, what do you think is the best thing to do?
    Last edited by Laura's Babies; 07-29-2010 at 06:25 AM.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

oh dear what a situation this is indeed, personally i just could not put a healthy animal to sleep, just goes against everything i feel and believe in, but what to do,now that is another story, it would be sad to see them split up, and surely they would miss each other,but they may well adjust, it might be worth a try, or maybe they could just try and re-home them to someone out of the family who is willing to take them both.

I really feel for all concerned, and i sure hope a good solution is found where both kitties will stay together , i can but only wish you the very best.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Yeah I would lean into keeping them together. Sure they would probably adjust in time. But with their age and the fact that they have been together for so long, and after what they will are going through, try to keep them together. Have you thought about renting the house out at least temp and try to see if someone is willing to take in both cats. Its just an idea. I hope that they will be re homed together.
    In loving memory of Tigger 2003-2009. In loving memory of Ashes 2001-2013.

I don't want to take away from Jonny's story...but maybe in that vast network of people there is someone who would take these two kitties?

Hugs and prayers that they find a home together.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

This is such a sad and tough situation. I wouldn't be able to put down a healthy animal either. Since the family members are dog people and already have dogs and these cats have never been around dogs, I would try to find them another home together if at all possible. I know it's kitten season right now but maybe a rescue group could help these people find them homes. Many people also list their animals on Craigslist but you never know who you're going to get there and you should always charge a fee. They both sound like gorgeous cats. I wish them luck.

Have you thought about renting the house out at least temp and try to see if someone is willing to take in both cats. Its just an idea. I hope that they will be re homed together.
    I had even suggested that to her but I don't think right now they could stand seeing anyone living in their mothers house. They all took her death very hard and are having a hard time dealing with loosing her, it is recent and to fresh, their pain is to raw. To me that would be the best solution, letting them live there and just have someone move in to look after them..

When I go My Found Cats are going together to a place called the Pampered Feline a boarding place just for Cats
    Is there a place like that near you where these Two Cat Companions could go
    and be together as I an sure that their friend and guardian would prefer that to them being PTS.It would be a way of showing respect to their Mother to care for her friends
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Laura, I know there are places that specialize in taking in the kitties of deceased humans. Talk to your local rescue organization, see if they can help; these babies need to stay together! I'll do some looking on line and get back to you if I find one of the places near you.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I agree with 3 things said:
    1. they need to stay together!
    2. no sense in PTS a healthy pet;
    3. this is a really TOUGH one you posed for us!

I wonder if the local vet offices would have any options / ideas?

Maybe make up posters for them to put up? You do tend to find many of us "softies" in vet offices.

The two girls that I went up to VT to get when my dear friend Clare passed away, were quite traumatized by the whole situation. My friend Kerry who volunteers at the Meriden Humane Society (a no kill shelter) took them. We tried so desperately to find a home that they could be together in, but that wasn't possible. Freckles, the daughter (age 16) got adopted 3 weeks ago to a wonderful home. Kit-Kat (age 17), however, is still there. I go every week to spend time with her and pray every night that someone will take her. I'm up to my limit at this time. She was in the sick room with a URI but is doing well now.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks Donna.. the info you shared of those 2 reminded me how tramatized Boo was when Mama died and NO ONE understood how badly it effected her. Boo is the reason these 2 kitties, that lost their human bothers me so bad. The differance in these 2 stories is Boo was only about 3 years old, these are 14 years old. The families, one is dog people, the other we were cat people. I just WISH I could take them but I am out of room and I can't put more on Rie when I am at work even if I had the room.

I may try calling a few of the vets tomorrow and seeing what they can come up with.. Need to get their (Toby & Abby's) vets number and shoot them a call!

I sometimes think about Kit-Kat and possibly taking her back. But I live in a 2room apartment and with 5 cats already, it's a little cramped. Right now, they all know what the pecking order is in my house and I don't want to disrupt it.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I agree with what everyone else has said. Perhaps someone with a soft spot for senior kitties would adopt both of them together. Catmandu's senior kittyzens are proof that older cats can thrive in a loving, caring home. Fingers and paws crossed and a prayer that a new home will be found for them.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

It breaks my heart to hear that anyone would consider ending the life of a healthy animal. I am still grieving so hard for the loss of my Allie. What I wouldn't give to have her back.

My brother and his wife took in one of 3 cats that lived with a dear elderly neighbor of theirs. Chloe, aka Baby Girl, was the most outgoing of the 3. Baby Girl had a tremendous adjustment period, as my brother and SIL had two other big foot sasquatch type cats for Baby to deal with. BUT, with love, appropriate vet care and time- Baby is just fine.

formerly Lucky's Maw Maw

THIS IS A RESPONSE TO ALL THE WONDERFUL WORDS OF ADVICE. THE TWO CATS WE ARE SPEAKING OF ARE 16+ YRS OLD & NEITHER IN GOOD HEALTH. ABBY IS BLIND IN 1 EYE, LOSING SIGHT IN THE OTHER & HAS MAJOR MOTION ISSUES & NOT EATING MUCH ANYMORE. SHE IS THE HIMALYAN. TOBY, THE ORANGIE & WHITE HAS STARTED THROWING UP, WHICH HE OFTEN DOES WHEN MY MOM WOULD HAVE TO BE HOSPITALIZED FOR MORE THAN A COUPLE DAYS. WE WOULD NEVER EVER CONTENPLATE PUTTING DOWN HEALTHY CATS. I JUST LOST MY FOREVER KITTY OF 15 YEARS 3 WEEKS BEFORE I LOST MY MOM. THESE HAVE BEEN TWO MAJOR BLOWS IN A 1 MONTH SPAN. HE WAS MAJOR SICK BUT HELD OUT 5 MONTHS LONGER THAN THE VET THOUGHT. WE ALL AS A FAMILY HAVE AGONIZED OVER THIS DECISION. WE HAVE SOOOO VERY MUCH TO DEAL WITH THAT WE ARE SO AFRAID THESE SWEET BABIES WILL BE LOST IN THE SCHEME OF ALL THINGS INVOLVED. NEITHER CAT EVER LEAVES THE HOUSE SO JUST TO CARRIER THEM IS A VERY MAJOR ORDEAL. WE ARE DEFINITELY THINKING ABOUT THEM FIRST & FOREMOST. IT JUST SEEMS TO BE SUCH AN IMPOSSIBLE DECISION ON ALL FRONTS. MY MOM ALWAYS PRAYED THAT THEY WOULD GO BEFORE HER BECAUSE SHE KNEW FROM PAST TIMES SPENT IN THE HOSPITAL WHAT PROBLEMS ARISED WITH HER PRECIOUS BABIES. SHE LOVED THEM TO THE INTH DEGREE. SHE IS SOOOO MISSED BY US ALL.