Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mackinac Island, Michigan **more pics pg2**

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    Isn't if funny, Phesina how you moved FROM MI to the East coast, and I moved TO MI from the East coast. They say if you've never been to MI, you'll hate it. But people who were born and raised there love it. Go figure.

Nope, never made it to the zoo. I did go the UP (Upper Penninsula) over New Year's with some friends. That huge mall is awesome!! Took hours to go through. Lots to see!

I lived right outside of Detroit in Ecorse, MI across from the Detroit River. Not the greatest area, but the rent was cheap. $550/month for 1200 sq. feet including everything. Sure can't find that in CT unless you want to pay up to $1200/month not including utilities.

After 3 years of trying to find employment as a news writer, I finally gave up, left everything behind (anything that wouldn't fit in my little KIA Sephia) and went back to CT, because I missed my family and friends so badly. Now THAT (moving back to CT) I'll never regret!!

Great pictures!!!
    Even if you're born in MI, you still hate it from time to time, hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
    Thanks for sharing the pictures & story of your trip to the Island, over the bridge & the locks too. Years ago we went to the Island & did the samething took a horse drawn surrey ride around the Island. The lilac bushes were in bloom & there were 30 some varities on the Island. Moo, I can still taste the good fudge yet. I recall a huge hotel I think was called the Grand. We went inside & had a coupon for strawberry daiquiris, had to climb a bunch of stairs to the top & the bar looked out over the island. The Grand has a huge porch with a bunch of chairs to sit on & look out over the Island & Lake. Just a really neat place.
    Ahhh, the Grand Hotel. That thing is AMAAZING! We didn't stay there because it's ridiculously expensive, but we did go past it. It's beautiful, what with over 100 rooms [all decorated differently, by the way]. I believe they have the biggest covered porch in the US? You have to pay to go on it, though. -_-
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

What beautiful pictures you got! WOW! WOW! WOW!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Here are some of the sunrises we saw:

AND me. At lunch on the island - look at our view!

I love your pictures, JML!!

Even if you're born in MI, you still hate it from time to time, hahaha.
    It only took me 3 years to figure out where I really belonged!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Blog Entries
    The sunrises are beautiful. A very nice picture of you. Next to you is a sign. Does it say do not feed the gulls? That would be a freight to have one fly in & lift some food from a persons plate when you think about it.

I think I still really belong in New England! That was where I first really found a home of my own.

Since I've been back here I've found a lot of things about this area that are really nice and that I appreciate, but it still just doesn't feel like home.

But I wound up back here 8 years ago for reasons too time-consuming and tiresome to get into, and it's hard to think of uprooting yet again.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

That is the one regret I have in life, is moving away from my friends and family. I was running away figuring I'd start over after caring for my Dad for 3 years. Very foolish move on my part. But life is too short and I'm much better off now than I've ever been.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

fabulous pics! Its been a several years since I've been to the Island. Last time I was there my mom's cousin flew us in on his plane. My Parents have a cottage around Kalkaska/Grayling so it isn't far for them. They don't go to the UP very much tho, my mom has a hard enough time crossing the Saginaw Bridge, she HATES the Mackinac Island.

When my dad was a kid, they used to go camping up there in the summer b/c my grandpa had such bad asthma/allergies that they lived in MI part of the year b/c it was easier for him to breathe. When he was a kid, before Fort Michimilamac became a tourist place, he and his cousins used to ride their bikes along the edge right below the top of the fort!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

More awesome pictures!!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
    The sunrises are beautiful. A very nice picture of you. Next to you is a sign. Does it say do not feed the gulls? That would be a freight to have one fly in & lift some food from a persons plate when you think about it.
    that's exactly what it says, haha. There were signs like that everywhere. Of course...we fed the seagulls at my hotel. One because my buddy. I named him Walter.

Quote Originally Posted by shais_mom View Post
    fabulous pics! Its been a several years since I've been to the Island. Last time I was there my mom's cousin flew us in on his plane. My Parents have a cottage around Kalkaska/Grayling so it isn't far for them. They don't go to the UP very much tho, my mom has a hard enough time crossing the Saginaw Bridge, she HATES the Mackinac Island.

When my dad was a kid, they used to go camping up there in the summer b/c my grandpa had such bad asthma/allergies that they lived in MI part of the year b/c it was easier for him to breathe. When he was a kid, before Fort Michimilamac became a tourist place, he and his cousins used to ride their bikes along the edge right below the top of the fort!
    We stopped in Grayling for lunch, hahaha.

Really? I had enough trouble WALKING up on that thing - I can't imagine riding a bike!

Lovely photos. I really like the fact that they stick to their traditional roots of only horses and bikes allowed - quite like a version of some of our Channel Islands, such as Sark. I never knew you were gone since we must have been away at the same time!

Glad you had such a good time and thanks for sharing.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Lovely photos! I've spent many summers and spring breaks up at Mackinac. I'm considering walking the bridge for Labor Day this year. My family did it many years ago and it was so much fun.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Wow JML.....cool pics.
    The history in those places is fascinating.
    Thanks for posting those.......

WoW I would have had a panic attack too going over that long bridge.. Hey all is breathtaken with beauty.. Congrats on you great vacation.. great pics thanks

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by ramanth View Post
    Lovely photos! I've spent many summers and spring breaks up at Mackinac. I'm considering walking the bridge for Labor Day this year. My family did it many years ago and it was so much fun.
    Someday I'd like to walk the bridge, as well. Surprisingly, the whole heights+water thing didn't really bother me.

I'd also like to work on the Island for a summer in a few years, working behind the scenes with the horse care or something. Our carriage driver was talking about how she works about 95 hours a week, but I think it would be totally worth it.