Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Halo - Fibrosarcoma from microchip? Update #71

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Halo - Fibrosarcoma from microchip? Update #71

Even though I stopped posting on Pet Talk a few months ago, I feel responsible for giving you guys an update on what’s going on with Halo. Especially, since Bobcat and I made a point of encouraging everyone to get their pets microchipped.

Many long-time PT’ers may remember that we lost Kuhio after the shelter put her to sleep the day after we were there looking for her. Due to a “clerical error” they had no record of her being in the shelter and she was not in any of the rooms we were told to search. She was in the Clinic – 10 feet away from where we were standing. We had no idea the room existed – and we were not told to search for her there. The details of Kuhio’s story are here: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=41856
    And here: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=85212

A month after losing Kuhio, Bobcat went to the same shelter and adopted Halo. She had a rough beginning as she had recently given birth and had an upper respiratory infection. After she was fit and well, we made sure she was microchipped to increase the chances that we would be reunited, should she ever be lost.

Since then, we’ve adopted Cammie, Pepper, Willow and Willy. All of them were chipped before we adopted them. They are all fine and healthy and have not had any medical problems.

But, after 8 years, sweet Halo has been diagnosed with a very aggressive form of cancer. Fibrosarcoma has developed at the microchip site. It completely encapsulated the chip. The tumor grew so large, so quickly…….. From what we’ve been told, fibrosarcoma is not the kind of cancer that gets into the bloodstream and gets into other organs. Tests and scans have revealed that all of Halo’s organs are healthy. But, fibrosarcoma grows “roots”. It is very difficult to get it all out because threads/roots may still exist at the microscopic level. For some reason, I keep picturing dandelions. Those roots are hard to kill!

Halo had surgery on May 17th. The tumor was huge. Halo had a pain patch and took antibiotics for 10 days. She recovered well and was back to her sweet, shy self. She was a frisky kitten again and chased her own tail and attacked my toes under the covers. I think she was doing everything possible to let us know that she felt good and she did not want to go back to the white coats again.

Surgery #1 – May 17th http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ent=May059.jpg

She continued to recover and felt well. But, when I returned home from work in Prudhoe on July 1st, I felt a lump about the size of a grape between her shoulder blades at the top of the healed incision. We took her to the vet (she was terrified and peed all over me). The vet felt the lump and was sure it was fluid filled. He drained it and sent it off to the lab for testing. We took Halo back to the vet a week later for the results. The lab found no sign of cancer. Instead it was an infection of some kind, perhaps from a suture that didn’t dissolve. The lump didn’t refill, but when the vet examined the area, he felt a harder lump underneath it. So, a second surgery was scheduled.

Surgery #2 – July 13th
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../July005-2.jpg

Halo came home that same day but she is not recovering as quickly as she did the last time. Instead of giving her liquid antibiotics for 10 days, the vet gave her an injection. I’m wondering if that has something to do with it because she has always had a reaction to any kind of inoculation which is why we quit getting her vaccinated every year.

I had to come back to work on July 15th and I won’t see my baby for almost 3 weeks. Before I left, Halo would shy away from me when I tried to pet her. I know she was in pain, but she didn’t do that after the first operation – she couldn’t get enough lovins and scritches then. Part of me wonders if she’s trying to tell us she doesn’t want any more treatment. She is absolutely terrified of going to the vet. I think she feels stressed and betrayed that we keep trapping her and putting her in the port-o-prison.

The tests have come back on the second tumor and it was cancerous.

Bobcat is home and he says Halo is still shying away from him. She doesn’t want any attention. She eating and drinking well. She just wants to be left alone.

We take her back on August 10th for another checkup. Then back every 3 months unless we feel a lump before them. I asked about radiation and the vet does not recommend it. Does anyone have any experience with it?

We’re praying that the vet got it all this time, He says that as long as we keep catching the tumors while they are small, he can keep cutting them out. But, I’m struggling. At what point do continuous surgeries become torture? After the 3rd…4th….5th… ??

The vet feels that the microchip injection is what caused the fibrosarcoma. Cancer can be a rare side effect. Like I said, none of the other kitties have ever had a problem. But, we feel so responsible for spreading the word about chipping. We wanted to let you all know to be on the lookout for any lumps or tumors growing near the injection site.

We will keep you posted on Halo’s treatment. The vet has always called her his “Medical Mystery Kitty”. Some of you may remember that we nicknamed her “Baby Grand” because of the vet bills. After these 2 surgeries, her nickname may soon be “Million Dollar Baby”.

I’ve missed you all. I hope all your babies are happy and healthy.
    Last edited by kuhio98; 09-06-2010 at 03:37 PM.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

If that isn't the worst case of "that sucks", I don't know what is. I can't believe that a microchip could be the source of this pain for you and your family after you have been such a crusader for the good of them. I think of you and Kuhio all the time and, like you, I still believe they save hundreds of our pets lives but that is just unbelievably bad luck. I will be praying for you and Halo

Poor Halo! Miss Hoppy had radiation treatments that shrunk a tumor, but it doesn't eliminate it, that's our only experience with a pet and radiation.
    I've Been Frosted

Prayers for poor Halo!

Wonder what your vet would think of Regressin - or some thing like the Transfer Factor?

I hope Halo loses her fear and trusts you again soon!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I'm so sorry to hear this- and I thank you for the information.
    Our new baby, Orion, who will be strictly indoors got the chip as a welcoming gift from the vet as he has shown escapist tendencies.
    Orion sends all best healing purrings to Halo.

How awful, Lisa. I'm so sorry. I am sending lots of thoughts and prayers for Halo's complete recovery.
    {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Thanks for this valuable information.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I'm so sorry that this has happened to your sweet Halo but I'm grateful for the info as well. We'll pray w/o ceasing here for all of you. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I'm glad LuLu's fell out.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I am sending prayers and good thoughts Halo's way. It is stories like yours, and I've heard a few of them, that have made me shy away from vaccinations and microchips. They are both good things, but not worth cancer. My heart goes out to your family.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I'm so sorry to hear this. All of my cats have been microchipped as well as my two new kittens. They actually all came that way except for Storm which I had done several years later. I'm sorry that you've stopped posting on PT. I hope that you'll decide to come back. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Halo's way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Oh my goodness!

I am so very sorry you and Halo are going through all this! We try so hard to do what is right for our pets. To have something backfire like this, backfire BIG TIME, it just terrible.

Hugs for you, and gentle chin rubs for Halo.

I am sorry to hear about Halo.. I am glad that Halo is doing ok now with no tumors.. I sure hope she does not need anymore surgerys.. Bless her wittle heart.. Lots of Prayers & Huggss being sent..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I will say many prayers for Halo. What a terrible ordeal to go through after having something useful like the microchip implant. Darn the luck. I hope poor Halo needs no more surgeries and that she will come around for lovin'.
    HALO

OMG! This is just heart wrenching! I could just CRY!! The whole story is heart wrenching from loosing Kuhio to what is happening now..

I WILL be checking mine often now as a result of your post and will help you spread the word. Gee, I never knew this could be a side effect of something that could save their LIVES! I micro chipped mine because we are in hurricane alley and what could happen if we got a bad one and got separated..

Gee, my heart just breaks for Halo!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonandBean View Post
    If that isn't the worst case of "that sucks", I don't know what is. I can't believe that a microchip could be the source of this pain for you and your family after you have been such a crusader for the good of them. I think of you and Kuhio all the time and, like you, I still believe they save hundreds of our pets lives but that is just unbelievably bad luck. I will be praying for you and Halo
    I feel the same. I keep thinking about the day we had her chipped and the feeling of relief that what happened to Kuhio would never happen to Halo.

Now, I just feel like crap! Halo just does not deserve all the hard knocks she's had in her 8-years. She is the sweetest, kindest kitty I've ever had.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.