Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marbles the chewer

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!

Marbles the chewer

Marbles chewed up a part of her favorite toy last week - one of those long ribbon chaser type toys. The ribbon is fleece/microfiber. I noticed it when I came home from the Paul McCartney concert last Saturday night - there was chewed up toy interspersed in a hairball she had horked up. I've been watching her like a hawk .... she's peeing and pooping normally and very active, but her appetite is off.

So I called the vet who said to bring her in ASAP. So she's going in this afternoon for X-rays and probably a barium enema. My poor little girl. She's SUCH a brat! I just hope this is not too $erious or expen$ive.

Purrayers that said toy makes a hasty exit without any invasive techniques necessary.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Prayers going out!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Make that a double!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I'm praying that everything will be alright!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Quote Originally Posted by RedHedd
    Purrayers that said toy makes a hasty exit without any invasive techniques necessary.
    Make it a triple!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

ANY kind of thread is extremely dangerous for a cat to consume. It can start snaking through the intestines and wind up slicing right through them. Prayers that Marbles will be all right and this can be removed without too much trouble.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

It's not a thread - it's a fleece ribbon about 1" wide and apparently she's thrown up all that she did ingest. X-rays show she's not blocked; she's just constipated! So they're giving her an enema right now and will send her home with some Petromalt or Laxatone.

Now if we can just figure out what food she will like - we're transitioning from kitten food to adult food. She won't even touch her kitten food! I guess she's telling me she's a big girl now. I just wish she could talk and tell me what she really likes!

Pets Unlimited is going to get a good food donation this weekend with all her rejects and none of it is cheap stuff - Wellness Core, Blue Buffalo, Science Diet .... ok maybe the Science Diet is junk food, but the rest ....

I think she WILL be on Evo - at least until Proctor & Gamble screws up the formula.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here

Would she enjoy one of these?

http://www.petguys.com/-871864003270.html
    http://www.nationalpetpharmacy.com/product/11402/Petstages-Catnip-Chew-Ring-Cat-Toy#utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=cse&cm_mmc_o=2mHC jCSnvniviCjCWHra-7CWVVCjCKwuzAkf
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...:referralID=NA

Love, Columbine

Would she enjoy one of these?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3946334

Love, Columbine

@Columbine. No she doesn't like those kinds of toys - she loves ping pong balls - or any balls that make noise - and interactive chasing toys. She LOVES it when I play with her. The laser pointer is another favorite (but I have to buy batteries - she's killed the old set).

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here

I'm sorry to hear that she had to have an enema but I'm glad that you caught it early and knew something was wrong. I have to hid many of my cat toys especially the feather ones because they'll eat them.

I hope you'll be able to find a cat food that she'll like. Most stores will allow you to return food if the animal doesn't like it so remember to keep the receipt. My cats were on Innova Evo but Ziggy gained too much weight on it so now they're eating Nature's Variety and they seem to like it better. The dry also has less calories. I buy the Duck and Rabbit Instinct dry which is grain free. They also have Chicken which I tried in the past but they didn't like it. They also make Prairie which contains grains. I also buy the canned Instinct in Venison, Duck, Rabbit, and Lamb and they like it much better than the Evo canned. Even my new kittens like the canned. They didn't like the stuff that the lady said they were eating.

I was told by the manager of An-Jan Feed & Supply that P & G won't be changing anything. She said she personally knew the now retired President and that P & G had to sign some papers stating that nothing would be changed. Hopefully this will be the case but I still have my doubts. Good luck.

Petco was out of Soulistic Pure Bliss tuna, so tonight Smudge had Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Chicken and Green Peas. It got the bowl-licked-clean seal of approval. Smudge definitely can't have grain, and would actually be quite happy to subsist on his dry food (Solid Gold Indigo Moon), but I need to give him a little canned food just to mix in his meds (including his psyllium-seed husk fiber supplement, generic Metameowcil). There are lots of healthy choices - you just need to find the ones you can get where you live.

Love, Columbine

She's still suffering the effects of the enema - do they make Gas-X for kitties?

We have to give her Laxatone for the next three days and then twice a week. She's eating a bit but still very picky about what she will eat. The Evo treats are a huge hit.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here

Oh, I'm sorry I somehow missed this, I was alerted by a post on FB there was a problem. Marbles, honey, please only eat FOOD! Ribbons are not food!

Prayers she recovers completely soon!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Marbles still having a hard time - not wanting to eat. I hate giving her the Laxatone - it's SO messy and gets her silky fur all sticky. One more day of forcing it down her - not sure it's doing much good. She's pooping, but still not normal "logs" - just little constipation balls.

Played phone tag with the vet today. Will probably try an appetite stimulant next.

Nancy the cat psychic is out of town and can't do a reading right now - I'm stumped and so frustrated!

I've tried just about everything for food - baby food, stinky, not stinky, wet, dry. She nibbled at some Evo turkey & chicken and some of her Iams kitten chow last night; Today it's mostly nibbles of treats. Please pray that she just eat something!

She is bratty and playing so she's not feeling TOO bad.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here