Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do Labs come in albino??

Do Labs come in albino??

Someone told me that Labrador Retrievers come in albino! I don't think they do. They also said that every breed comes in albino! I know Great Danes come in albino, and I'm sure there are other breeds that do, but Labradors?? I don't think so! Thanks!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I have to agree with you. I don't think I have ever seen or heard of a Albino Lab!

Albino is a mutation that could occur in any species, but some animals have been bred to perpetuate it more than others. We saw an albino garter snake in our yard - as it was being killed by what was probably a shrew. It was tiny, and because it was albino was quite easy for its predators to see. But with breeds of dog, people have controled breeding so can perpetuate characteristics they like. So I imagine any breed "could" have an albino ....

Karen is right--ANY breed of dog, or ANY creature for that matter, can have an albino variant. Albinism is caused by the total lack of skin pigmentation, a rare trait that can manifest itself in Labs, as well as other dogs and even people!! I think you are maybe confusing albinos with dogs that are simply white. White dogs are not necessarily albinos. Only if they have pink eyes, i.e. with no pigment, are they considered albinos.

I used to have an albino guinea pig...her name was Baby, but we always called her 'Bino for short!!
    ** Emily, McGwire "Mac" the Maltese & Mei the Shih Tzu **

They could. I seen an ad in the paper for AKC Lab puppies, white available. So unless i missed a color a Labs somewhere, I'm guessing the white puppies are albino.
    Hold your head high.
    Don't ever let 'em define
    The light in your eyes.
    Love yourself, give them Hell.
    You can take on this world.
    You just stand and be strong
    And then fight
    Like a girl.

According to the breed standard only black, yellow and chocolate are acceptable colors.

I do know that an albino Doberman Pinscher is not going to be a healthy animal. Not sure if that would be true with a Lab but my guess is that they would have the same health issues.

Can't point you to reference regarding albino labs but here is one regarding albino Dobermans health concerns:

http://www.dpca.org/ac.html

Thanks everyone!!! Speaking of different color Labs...

www.silverlabs.com

They look like Weimaraners!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

My guess is that the advertised "white puppies" were in fact just very pale "yellow" Labs, as the color "Yellow" covers everything from off-white to gold.

The silver labs are beautiful! One of my favorite colors is silver! Its a very pretty color.

Originally posted by turner
    The silver labs are beautiful! One of my favorite colors is silver! Its a very pretty color.
    I think that silver labs are pretty too!!!

Felice, Zeus, Hercules

Silver and "white" Labs

The place in Texas (link in another message) where the Silver Labs are bred is close by a friend's place, north of Waco. I was surprised to see the dogs, but they really don't look like Weimaraners to me. Silver Labs are much broader, especially through the head and shoulders.

As has been pointed out, an albino is possible in any species, and is a trait that can be bred for. However, because it is so much easier to breed albino stock by in-breeding a family line where albinos have turned up, there can be other problems with the dogs. Sun sensitivity is always a problem.

My black Lab bitch whelped a litter of pups by a Doberman that we were fostering (inattention on my part). Two of the puppies turned out to look just like their momma, but they were white. The male developed pale spots on his ears as he matured, but the female did not. I was real surprised to discover later that she had been bred to a Lab and her owners were advertising that the pups were out of a "white Lab." There wasn't much I could do, and I know they didn't have papers--just a big fib.

Mac

Wow!

I never knew there was so many colors of the Labrador. I have only seen Chocolate, Yellow, and black! I have only heard of those colors also! Thanks guys! Very interesting facts!

Is that an albino lab? It's gorgeous!!!
    *Emily ~Belle, Bananas, Cinnamon~*

That silver lab is beautiful. But $1000 for a dog!! That seems crazy to me. I don't think I'd ever be willing to spend anything more then an adoption fee on a dog.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Originally posted by Uabassoon
    That silver lab is beautiful. But $1000 for a dog!! That seems crazy to me. I don't think I'd ever be willing to spend anything more then an adoption fee on a dog.
    THat's exactly why i HATE breeders. There are so many animals who are in the shelter.. who people could adopt for $15-$45 dollars... and they more then like will have less medical problems then those pure breds.

On the other hand... Are the "Silver" Labs mixed with something?

And aobut white labs.... Terra, my next door neighbors Lab, now at the rainbow bridge... She was completely white, and not albino. Her mother was a yellow lab [more of a goldern color though] an i not sure what color lab her father was.. THe only coloring she had on her fur was were she used to lick her paws/ legs.. and they almost looked like a chocolate lab. Boy, i miss her.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits