Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The $79 insect....

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

The $79 insect....

Last Wednesday, in the middle of this heatwave, the central a.c. decided to take a dump. Our service guy came out, replaced the capacitor on the blower fan motor, and it was back up and running in no time - until Saturday morning anyway. It's dead again! Called the company back - said it would be a minimum $120 weekend service call, and if it was the blower burned out, we wouldn't be able to get it fixed till Monday. So instead of dumping that money out for probably nothing, we held out for today. Saturday wasn't too bad in the house, since it was cooler and rained most of the day, but Sunday was brutal. It was well over 90 inside the house, and all the fans did was blow hot air around. I was tempted to sleep outside in the hammock last night, but toughed it out in here instead, and it did cool down a little over night. Pups and cats were miserable, along with their humans.
    Around 10 this a.m., service guy shows up. It was a different, older guy than last week, and I'm glad it wasn't the same one. I don't think the other one would ever have found the problem. Anyway, this guy takes the cover off the electric works on the inside, and starts testing this and that - couldn't find any reason for the problem at first, and then - success. It seems an insect - maybe about 1/2" long creepy crawly looking thing, decided to sit on the contacts when the unit wasn't running, and when it kicked back on and the contacts tried to close, Mr Bug got mashed between them and interrupted the circuit and shut the fan down.
    Holy crap - never heard of such a thing!!! But he pulled the bug out with tweezers, hooked a couple of wires back up, and the old girl is working once again. He said it's not a common problem at all, but it does happen on occasion!
    Service call - $79. Pretty darn expensive bug, but at least we have the a.c. again. I text'ed the info to son and DIL and they both had the same response - "you're kidding - right??" Wish I had kept the bug and taped it to the bottom of the bill..........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Living in Florida, I can fully understand and believe this. We have a serious problem of squirrels chewing our car wires.

I'm glad you got the AC back, Ellie. If it gets any hotter here, I have to move to Alaska.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Gee whiz, that much for a service call? Not "user friendly" are they? But it was a week end..

That capacitor is what went out on mine the first time it went out, the second time he said was probably because they didn't connect the capacitor secure enough because a wire was just loose on it so that was a free visit..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Who woulda thunk it?

Glad you are cool again. WOW!

That's why they call computer glitches "bugs" as long ago, a fly got into the system and shorted out one of the first computers!
    I've Been Frosted

Wow!!! What a bug!!
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear you got the system back up & running. The earwig is a bug around here that is drawn to electricity & people have had trouble with them. They smell horrible when a person squashes them. It must be all the rainy damp weather we have had to bring them on.

RIP little bug.

Glad to hear you are cool again.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Wow. That's really something, Ellie. Glad you're nice and cool again, though.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Just when ya think ya heard it all.....

I've been Boooo'd!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
    Glad to hear you got the system back up & running. The earwig is a bug around here that is drawn to electricity & people have had trouble with them. They smell horrible when a person squashes them. It must be all the rainy damp weather we have had to bring them on.
    Yes - earwig - that's what it was. I just couldn't think of the name of it yesterday.
    And funny thing for it not being common to get a bug on the contacts---a guy my son works with had the same thing happen.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

That was a darn expensive bug.. Who would have thunk it.. Glad your all cool again..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Better 79 dollars than a whole replacement?

Laughing my head off here Ellie. You sure do grow huge bugs out your way. But that service call wasn't that expensive. The cheapest call here starts at $125 and that's with the service man being generous. Who would have thought...and what the heck is an earwigg, something that gets in your ears?

Maybe if your a/c goes off again you can go down and check everywhere for a bug ....beats sleeping in 90 degree heat.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

OH yeah!! I completely understand the nature-type interference of our complex lifestyle - if you remember, I posted a comment about a snakie that decided to get chopped up by my A/C unit about 3 months ago. No issues cause except a very nasty odor and some flies for a while. And I felt horrible about the snakie.

We bought a cover for the a/c to try and avoid that happening again but that caused another issue. The cover slowly blows open when the a/c fan turns on and allows whatever has settled on top of it to slide off. Unfortunately, the a/c unit is right next to my bird room and the opening of the cover caused hysteria every time it happened - birds screaming, throwing themselves around the room or huddling in corners for the entire day waiting for it to happen again. So it was either block the windows or remove the cover. Needless to say, we removed the cover.

PS - I hate earwigs. . .they give me the heebie jeebies.

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain