Thread: Water for the wild ones

Water for the wild ones

Oh my gosh, just came in from working outside and had to take a cold shower ASAP. So darn hot out there. The sun is the enemy right now against my skin. Wanted to work outside longer but could not stand it another second, so hot and thirsty.
    When I was outside I see this poor little chipmunk, he must be so hot and thristy. I went inside and refilled the bowls I have with ice. I have three small and low bowls of ice outside on different parts of my yard for the creatures, snakes, moles, bunnies, frogs whatever may come. I also have a blue bird bath but of course they cannot reach that. Anyway this is just a reminder to please leave bowls of ice around for those small animals in this heat wave. I refill mine in the morning and at night with ice.
    You will be saving lives by this simple yet important act.

Hi Marigold and thanks for the reminder. Such a small gesture could make a world of difference to the poor critters who have to fend for themselves in this horrible heat. And a big thank you and bless you for caring enough to help all animals cope with current weather conditions.
    I'm getting a few bowls right now that will be put outside for any animal in need of a drink or a quick dip in the "pool" to cool off.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Also, if you can't do the ice thing....just lots of water, preferably in a shaded area, works well. The dehydration issue is probably more important then the temparture of the water. And, in this current heat...not sure how long ice in the water really works.

I guess if you froze half a bucket of water, then topped it with water, it would last awhile. But your smaller animals would still have a problem getting in there, I think.

Good on you Marigold. The ice might ensure a lengthier supply of water for the critters. Less spillage if someone gets a little carried away too. Hope the heat breaks for you soon. Would be nice if we'd get some. Rained yesterday, mostly cloudy today and rain to come for the next 2 days. No lack of hydration here this summer.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

It's a wonderful idea, but don't forget to empty, rinse and refill every day.
    Those pesky mosquitos breed fairly quick in standing water. There are not
    good for anyone.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Last summer I was trying to root a cutting in a jar of water. Every day a little chipmunk came, reached up and over the jar to have a drink. When time came to plant the cutting I left the water there but the chipmunk wouldn't take a drink so I ended up snipping a leaf off the mother plant and sticking it in the jar and sure enough the chipmunk was back having a drink. Don't know if the plant was sweet or had a nice smell or what but the chipmunk obviously liked it.

7. We do that too an also since our property has 2X4 fencing all around we keep putting out a kid sized swimming pool an fill it up with water in case any doe's had their fawns in here.

adult deers are good jumpers. their babies not so much until after a certain age i guess. a lot of the fawns never jump out,, they walked out when the snow had packed up enough to do so.

we also always put bird seed an hay out during winter time.

I've got water out for the birds, or whatever creature needs it, just outside of my fence.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I saw a little bun out there the other day by one of the water bowls. I am sure many visit at night as well.

Ah little cut pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie and me View Post
    Last summer I was trying to root a cutting in a jar of water. Every day a little chipmunk came, reached up and over the jar to have a drink. When time came to plant the cutting I left the water there but the chipmunk wouldn't take a drink so I ended up snipping a leaf off the mother plant and sticking it in the jar and sure enough the chipmunk was back having a drink. Don't know if the plant was sweet or had a nice smell or what but the chipmunk obviously liked it.