Thread: Kitty City

Kitty City

I’m sorry about the lack of regularity in these bulletins. Fact is, I am multitaskingly-challenged. (Ok, I can hear the voices: ”That’s because you’re a man!”)

Whenever I try to write something, it becomes obsolete in days.

Since I last wrote, the kitten portion of my life has taken over completely. Not that Tilde needs help (although she has nominated me Chief Babysitter) but the experience is just so amazing. I do not want to miss a minute. People who have children know the expression, ”They’re great at that age.” Around 2 - 3 years, new skills appearing all the time. Here the experience is condensed into weeks.

One day, I try to get them used to using the cat tray and they eat the kitty litter. Next day, they figure it out themselves. One day, I try to get them to eat their expensive designed-by-vets kitten food. No way. Next day, some fish drops on the floor and they growl at each other in the race to eat it. What they fall off one day they jump off the next, four-point landing.

I was wondering who would be the first out of the box. Suddenly the award included another title: First to fall off the sofa on to the floor. Tubby. Of course, I thought of putting the box on the floor, but Tilde did NOT like it. Box had to go back on the sofa, the birthplace and ancestral home.

Faced with a mass-breakout at 1 o’clock in the morning, something had to be done, and PDQ. Only one thing to do. With a plentiful supply of cardboard and Apollo 13 tape (duct/gaffa) a wall was built around all the places an unsuspecting kitten could fall and be eaten by dust-bunnies. Kind of like Berlin.

The design of, as it became known, Kitty City, was a mammoth undertaking, and future archaeologists will marvel at the ingenuity of its defences. A processional ramp was included, to ease progression from sofa to ground level, with chop-sticks taped to the surface in case kitten paws could not find enough grip. The city wall, thrown together as hastily as the rest, cordoned off one end of the living-room with amplifiers, Trivial Pursuit boxes and a crate of pieces of old Volvo.

Outside the city walls, lurking and sniffing and hissing at the kittens, was Pjevs. Ourselves, United Allies of Kitty City, had to keep a watchful eye on him. To begin with, he respected the boundary, but gave cause for concern. More of that later.

Anyhow, the descent ramp was one day a terrifying undertaking, and a few days later the scene for a bite-your-back-legs race. The sofa has been an excellent testing ground for claw technique, with impossible overhangs taken just for the hell of it. Cardboard walls do not a prison make, and these were climbed and, humiliatingly, chewed. Cardboard makes a satisfying popping sound when your milk teeth break through it, apparently.

The city walls were reinforced, but escapees became more and more common, and territorial conflicts with Pjevs loomed dark on the horizon.

Stage 2 of the occupation was initiated. The empire expanded to include the whole living room, with walls blocking the only two exits: the doorway to the kitchen and the doorway to the patio. The Big Black Bugger not well pleased. Massive rearmament on both sides created tension, diplomatic missions failed, and The Great Territorial War began. It was over in two days.

Nosing just too close to a kitten while Tilde, unseen, observed from the far side of the room, Pjevs got the shock of his life. She shot across the floor, screaming like a banshee, and sank teeth and claws into Pjevs’ ample corpus. At a third of his size and weight, Tilde chased the panic-stricken Pjevs out of the house, down the garden path, down the street, and was back inside checking on the kittens in a matter of seconds.
    Only one or two more clashes were necessary before Pjevs began to run at the sight of a kitten (no exaggeration).

Military analysts have since used the Great Territorial War as a classic example of the ’right over might’ principle, and sum up the relevant advantages of the two sides as follows:

Pjevs:
    1. Is big.
    2. Is heavy.
    3. Is strong.
    4. Can make hamburger out of cats his size.
    5. Has lived here for years.
    6. Has a well-established claim to the territory.

Tilde:
    1. Is a mother.

No contest. The once mighty king is banished to the kitchen, and if he dares show his furry face in the living room, he risks losing part of his tail.

Occupation Stage 3 followed shortly thereafter. The outer defences of the empire crumbled, and the inhabitants poured out onto the plains. All walls were pulled down, and with all objections to the hegemony of Tilde and her kittens swept before them, Pjevs was forced to retreat to the garden.

This last development happened today. It remains to be seen if the Meal-time Truce still applies. With all six in the same space, Pjevs could go hungry. Then if the garden is invaded.....

In a few weeks time, we will have to say goodbye to these little darlings. It is going to be incredibly tough, and we have made sure that they are going to friends who we can visit. But what will happen with the balance of power at home, when the reason for Tilde’s new-found status disappears? Stay tuned.

I am sure that I am not alone in asking for photos of Kitty City, that may give me an idea for a Found Cat Hotel Buildng!!
    Pjevs need not be ashamed as there is nothing more ferocious than a Momma Cat, if she thinks her Kitten are bothered.
    I saw a Momma Cat scare off a Grizzly Bear when he approached her Babies!!
    Kittens at that stage in their lives are so magical , I envy you this experience of watching them grow, which you will never forget.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Wow, that sounds like quite a set up you have going over there. I loved reading your post about protective walls, baby kittens exploring their new world while mommy cat keeps a watchful eye on her little family. The part about mommy cat chasing the dog through the garden is great. Thanks for a funny and informative post. Lots of lovies being sent to all of your wonderful furkids!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

That is most interesting military history events I ever heard about
    Just like Gary I want to see pictures! In this case I even want a movie

Dude, this is looking more and more like a BOOK, and a monumentally saleable one. Take lots and lots of pictures, and document everything - you're so entertaining you actually do the little critters justice, and cat lovers' friends and families everywhere will want your chronicles as a gift for the ailurophiles in their lives!

Love, Columbine

This was great reading! I also would love to see pictures of Kitty City.
    So, are you keeping at least one of the babies? Oh, I'd love to see pictures of the kitties too!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

One word- photos.

Tilde: Big Bad Momma.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I LOVE how you guys see and word things when you tell a ordinary story! That was hilarious! NOW, pictures added would REALLY set that story off to the MAX!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Great reading but I too want to see pictures.

Events have now overtaken Kitty City. The original habitation level in the box on the sofa was abandoned as people preferred to sleep on the floor. The slip-proof ramp became obsolete when jumping seemed to be more fun. Since the outer walls proved inadequate, and human family members were tired of climbing over them anyway, they too were cleared.

Photographic evidence of the city at the height of its power is sadly lacking. All that remains is a pile of cardboard and gaffa by the garden shed. Ozymandias.

Nice reading! The little ones must be so cute, we need pictures urgently!

Tllde sure has her paws full, eh! Sounds like fun in Kitty City. I remember you were guessing that Gizmo would be the first out of the box. So was it Tubby instead?

Glad to hear they're all thriving... well except for poor Pjevs, he doesn't know where to go or what to do, does he!

I take it you found out for sure who are boys and girls? Who will you be keeping?

Martin, you could always show your fans the pictures from your PT album - the ones where they are 18 days old - there's a few cute ones.

Keep us updated! Fister sends purrs.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.