Thread: Dirty Bunny

Dirty Bunny

My dwarf rabbit is dirty. I think she may be hanging out in her litter box, but she's dingy and tacky to the touch, but only on her underside (mostly her belly). I know it's a bad idea to give her a bath, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the wipes designed for dogs might be used on a rabbit.
    Jacque
    "It is only with the heart that once can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Just a damp paper towel will be best. You may have to do it several times until she is clean. Have you changed her food lately? Sometimes certain foods can give rabbits runny poop, and that can get on their bottoms.

It is possible to give a bunny a bath, we did a few times with Miss Hoppy, but only if it is a bunny who is going to stay inside until he or she is dry. Rabbits can get sick if they stay damp.
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks for the info. I'll give the damp paper towels a try. She doesn't like to be held much, she gets nervous and breaths fast, but I'll see if she's willing to let me run a paper towel over her some.

I haven't made any changes to her diet lately, except I ran out of pumpkin which I gave her a couple of times a week because I heard it helps with processing hair. As she's gotten older she seems to like to lay around in the litter box and I think that's the problem (yuck).

Thanks again.
    Jacque
    "It is only with the heart that once can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Quote Originally Posted by newwoman1959 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'll give the damp paper towels a try. She doesn't like to be held much, she gets nervous and breaths fast, but I'll see if she's willing to let me run a paper towel over her some.

I haven't made any changes to her diet lately, except I ran out of pumpkin which I gave her a couple of times a week because I heard it helps with processing hair. As she's gotten older she seems to like to lay around in the litter box and I think that's the problem (yuck).

Thanks again.
    You can try fipping her over - some bunnies relax when they are belly-up. Miss Hoppy never did, but I have heard of bunnies that do!

Bunnies naturally hang out in the litter box, try cleaning it every couple days, see if that help her cleanliness! Do you put hay in the litterbox?
    I've Been Frosted