Thread: Best pet for 9 year old? Update- got a leopard gecko!

Hybrid View

Best pet for 9 year old? Update- got a leopard gecko!

My nephew moved in with us and is a huge animal lover, but has never had a pet before. He is really good with the dogs and cats and would like to get a pet of his own. I don't mind him getting a pet provided it will work in our household. We have 3 dogs and 3 cats, so I don't think a small mammal is a good choice for the animal's safety.

What kind of small pets are best in a household with other animals? The pet would stay in my nephew's room away from cats and dogs.

Also, I know that I will be the one mainly responsible for the pet, which is ok with me, but a pet that is not too hard to care for would be best so he can take care of it, too.

Thanks for any input!

ETA: Well Kenny decided on a leopard gecko which I think was a good choice because the other pets don't seem interested at all (though the door to his room is going to stay shut just in case). We just brought "him" (don't know if it's really a boy) home today. What a cute little guy! Kenny named him Coconut. He seems to have adapted to his new home very quickly and already ate several mealworms. I'll try to update with some pictures in a few days.
    Last edited by Pembroke_Corgi; 07-31-2010 at 05:34 PM.

another kitty perhaps... besides you won´t be having to buy a whole new habitat for it..

a rabbit, gerbil, guinea pig, hamster would be nice.. but considering they are small mammals.. as well as a bird.. thye all would require diff living spaces food etc.. and constant supervision as all would be "prey" material..

a fish might be nice too.. but my bet is another kitty or puppy.. but kitty space-wise..
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Perhaps a dwarf bunny or a parakeet.........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I'd vote for a guinea pig, as they can be happier in a confined space than a rabbit would, and both dogs and cats tend to see bunnies as prey. A guinea pig can be in its cage, and can come out for playtime in a ball to run, or fence off an area for them to run and play ... they are sturdier than a hamster, and easier to interact with than a gerbil. A parakeet's noises might prove irresistible for the cats, and one cannot underestimate the persistence of a curious feline.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    A parakeet's noises might prove irresistible for the cats, and one cannot underestimate the persistence of a curious feline.
    add to that the mess.. parakeets are messy (feathers, seed, water.. all over the place)... one can handle that but a 9 yr old might consider it too much...

the guinea pig is probably the best as Karen said.. can do well confined and he gets interaction with it..
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

My vote is for a pair of guinea pigs too. If you're looking for something smaller I'd probably go for a lizard, maybe a leopard gecko.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla