Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best pet for 9 year old? Update- got a leopard gecko!

Crested geckos are really hardy. I don't have any supplemental heat for mine. And if insects bother you, you can simply feed them Crested Gecko Diet (powder you mix with water).
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I was going to suggest a Crested gecko rather than a Leopard gecko as well.

I agree that leos are not that hard to take care of. With a good tank, heater, and thermometer you will be ready to go. Their diet is pretty easy also. It would be my first pick, esp for a 9yr boy!

I am more of a mammal lover myself. So, I suggest you get him a horse. Big enough to feel manly, doesn't eat other animals, doesn't need a heat source, and the manure has a positive bio impact. Plus, your daughter would love the horse, too.

I think guinea pigs are great companion animals for young people because they are usually very laid back (at least in my experience) although there is still the chance of a problem between them and the cats.

Please do not get him a bird. So many budgies have gone to the bridge because they are thought of as "starter pets" but they are not. As mentioned before they are a bit noisy, definately messy and unless you get more than one, they will be disfunctional if he decided he doesn't want to interact much with it. Budgies are highly intellegent and get a bad rap. And I won't even mention about them looking like a lovely light snack to the cats.

Perhaps waiting a while to see how he interacts and cares for the animals already in the house will lead to an easier decision process.

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

No-one suggested rats?

Zimbabwe 07/13

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z View Post
    No-one suggested rats?
    Wow! Where's my head? Rats have always been one of my favorite kid-friendly pets. I had always hoped to get Nathan rats when he became old enough for "his own" pet, but as of now (he's only 3) he much prefers reptiles. My husband is thrilled that Nathan shares his love for herpetology. Maybe Topher will be a rat kid?
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I am more of a mammal lover myself. So, I suggest you get him a horse. Big enough to feel manly, doesn't eat other animals, doesn't need a heat source, and the manure has a positive bio impact. Plus, your daughter would love the horse, too.

I wish!!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z View Post
    No-one suggested rats?
    I was going to a little while ago but I got here late and it looked like it had been settled on reptiles. :P

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats