Thread: 21 Things You Should Never Buy New

21 Things You Should Never Buy New

Interesting...

Re: the DVD/CD in the first item, check with your local movie rental store to see if they will run your disc through their buffing machine.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/banking-...-never-buy-new

21 Things You Should Never Buy New
    by Wise Bread
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Provided by: usnews

If you're looking to get the most value for your dollar, it would do your wallet good to check out secondhand options. Many used goods still have plenty of life left in them even years after the original purchase, and they're usually resold at a fraction of the retail price, to boot. Here's a list of 21 things that make for a better deal when you buy them used.

1. DVDs and CDs: Used DVDs and CDs will play like new if they were well taken care of. Even if you wind up with a scratched disc and you don't want to bother with a return, there are ways to remove the scratches and make the DVD or CD playable again.

2. Books: You can buy used books at significant discounts from online sellers and brick-and-mortar used book stores. The condition of the books may vary, but they usually range from good to like-new. And of course, check out your local library for free reading material.

3. Video Games: Kids get tired of video games rather quickly. You can easily find used video games from online sellers at sites like Amazon and eBay a few months after the release date. Most video game store outlets will feature a used game shelf, as well. And if you're not the patient type, you can rent or borrow from a friend first to see if it's worth the purchase.

4. Special Occasion and Holiday Clothing: Sometimes you'll need to buy formal clothing for special occasions, such as weddings or prom. Most people will take good care of formal clothing but will only wear it once or twice. Their closet castouts are your savings: Thrift stores, yard sales, online sellers and even some dress shops offer fantastic buys on used formalwear.

5. Jewelry: Depreciation hits hard when you try to sell used jewelry, but as a buyer you can take advantage of the markdown to save a bundle. This is especially true for diamonds, which has ridiculously low resale value. Check out estate sales and reputable pawn shops to find great deals on unique pieces. Even if you decide to resell the jewelry later, the depreciation won't hurt as much.

6. Ikea Furniture: Why bother assembling your own when you can pick it up for free (or nearly free) on Craigslist and Freecycle? Summer is the best time to hunt for Ikea furniture--that's when college students are changing apartments and tossing out their goodies.

7. Games and Toys: How long do games and toys remain your child's favorite before they're left forgotten under the bed or in the closet? You can find used children's toys in great condition at moving sales or on Craigslist, or you can ask your neighbors, friends, and family to trade used toys. Just make sure to give them a good wash before letting junior play.

8. Maternity and Baby Clothes: Compared to everyday outfits that you can wear any time, maternity clothes don't get much wear outside the few months of pregnancy when they fit. The same goes for baby clothes that are quickly outgrown. You'll save a small fortune by purchasing gently used maternity clothes and baby clothes at yard sales and thrift stores. Like children's games and toys, friends and family may have baby or maternity clothing that they'll be happy to let you take off their hands.

9. Musical Instruments: Purchasing new musical instruments for a beginner musician is rarely a good idea. (Are you ready to pay $60 an hour for piano lessons?) For your little dear who wants to learn to play an instrument, you should see how long his or her interest lasts by acquiring a rented or used instrument to practice with first. Unless you're a professional musician or your junior prodigy is seriously committed to music, a brand new instrument may not be the best investment.

10. Pets: If you buy a puppy (or kitty) from a professional breeder or a pet store outlet, it can set you back anywhere from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. On top of this, you'll need to anticipate additional fees and vet bills, too. Instead, adopt a pre-owned pet from your local animal shelter and get a new family member, fees, and vaccines at a substantially lower cost.

11. Home Accent: Pieces Home decorating pieces and artwork are rarely handled on a day-to-day basis, so they're generally still in good condition even after being resold multiple times. If you like the worn-out look of some decor pieces, you can be sure you didn't pay extra for something that comes naturally with time. And don't forget, for most of us, discovering a true gem at a garage sale is 90% of the fun!

12. Craft Supplies: If you're into crafting, you probably have a variety of different supplies left over from prior projects. If you require some additional supplies for your upcoming project, then you can join a craft swap where you'll find other crafty people to trade supplies with. If you have leftovers, be sure to donate them to your local schools.

13. Houses: You're typically able to get better and more features for your dollar when you purchase an older home rather than building new. Older houses were often constructed on bigger corner lots, and you also get architectural variety in your neighborhood if the houses were built or remodeled in different eras.

14. Office Furniture: Good office furniture is built to withstand heavy use and handling. Really solid pieces will last a lifetime, long after they're resold the first or second time. A great used desk or file cabinet will work as well as (or better than) a new one, but for a fraction of the cost. With the recession shutting down so many businesses, you can easily find lots of great office furniture deals.

15. Cars: You've probably heard this before: Cars depreciate the second you drive them off of the dealership's lot. In buying a used car, you save money on both the initial cost and the insurance. It also helps to know a trusty mechanic who can check it over first. This way, you'll be aware of any potential problems before you make the purchase.

16. Hand Tools: Simple tools with few moving parts, like hammers, hoes and wrenches, will keep for decades so long as they are well-made to begin with and are well-maintained. These are fairly easy to find at neighborhood yard or garage sales. If you don't need to use hand tools very often, an even better deal is to rent a set of tools or borrow them from a friend.

17. Sports Equipment: Most people buy sports equipment planning to use it until it drops, but this rarely happens. So when sports equipment ends up on the resale market, they tend to still be in excellent condition. Look into buying used sporting gear through Craigslist and at yard sales or sports equipment stores.

18. Consumer Electronics: I know most folks like shiny new toys, but refurbished electronic goods are a much sweeter deal. Consumer electronics are returned to the manufacturer for different reasons, but generally, they'll be inspected for damaged parts, fixed, tested, then resold at a lower price. Just make sure you get a good warranty along with your purchase.

19. Gardening Supplies: This is an easy way for you to save money, and all you need to do is be observant. Take a look outdoors and you'll likely find such gardening supplies as mulch, wood, and even stones for free or vastly reduced prices. Used garden equipment and tools are also common goods at yard sales.

20. Timeshares: Buying timeshares isn't for everyone, but if you decide that it suits your lifestyle, purchasing the property as a resale would be a better deal than buying it brand new: on average, you'll save 67 percent on the price for a comparable new timeshare. If you're new to timeshare ownership, give it a test run first by renting short term.

21. Recreational Items: It's fairly easy to find high ticket recreational items like campers, boats, and jet skis being resold. Oftentimes, they're barely used at all. As long as they're in safe, working condition, they'll make for a better value when purchased used than new.

Lynn Truong is the co-founder and Deals Editor of Wise Bread, a blog dedicated to helping readers live large on a small budget. Wise Bread's book, 10,001 Ways to Live Large on a Small Budget, debuted as the #1 Money Management book on Amazon.com.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I agree with pretty much everything on this list.

Just a note to those who are looking to buy the new iPad...don't! It's new, and not only is it new, it's a new product that's never been released before. It's a bad idea to buy something fresh off the technology market. Next year, they will have something better...something that's complete. (ie: able to play Flash video/games).

I doubt the Ipad will EVER play Flash. Steve Jobs made that pretty clear. I want one so bad! Too bad I'm po!

I agree for most things. For laptops, however, buying new does not mean it will be good quality and you will have no problems I had many problems with an expensive HP 17'', and now with a Samsung netbook
    Warranty? Well, they change the wrong component by a new one but which presents the same defect, sometimes they change it three times, until the warranty period is over, and then, too bad for you, get a new one!

Sometimes it's also a great pleasure to buy new (a car for instance) even though it is a total waste of money

I bought ONE new car in my lifetime (a Toyota Matrix in 2002 when they just came out). It had 11 miles on the odometer! I'll probably never buy a brand new car again but it was neat to do it once.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I don't agree with a lot of this list.

I understand it might be 'easier on the budget' to buy used baby clothes...since they're going to get small anyway, but seriously...how much do new baby clothes cost anyway?

I notice a HUGE difference in the fabric after washing and washing and washing my child's clothes. The fabric doesn't stay the same. Each 'size' has lasted him at least 2 months so far, so I get my money's worth. For me, if you can afford it, give your child the best. I probably wouldn't buy many clothes for our next boy, because I have so many nice clothes from our first, but I'd rather not be dressing him in used clothes that I don't know how many children used.

Diapers leak into clothes. Babies spit all over their clothes. They drop food on them. Yes they can get washed and cleaned, but they're not the same. I wouldn't dress my child in old, used, and abused clothes when I can buy him new ones, unless its an older sibling's clothes. With the amount of gifts he got, I don't feel like we've spent much on his clothes anyway...and he only wears new.

As for a new house vs. an old house...its a matter of preference. I personally feel there's no greater joy than seeing your house as a piece of land...getting to choose your favorite model, your favorite interiors, design your own backyard. Its fun, and I personally wouldn't ever go for an old home if I have the option of a brand new one in the same area.

New cars are fun to buy. I agree that the value goes down the moment you leave the dealer, but you'll probably end up keeping the car for much longer than you would keep a used car.

I wouldn't buy used jewelry because its not always that easy for the untrained eye to distinguish real gold from fake. What if they're cheating? Gold, silver, diamonds, etc...I'd only buy from a reliable store.

I agree with you on the car thing, Popcornbird! I have nothing against used cars, but we have bought new and we keep it until it won't run anymore. With used cars, you never know what's gonna "go" when.

There are many second-hand places around here that sell kids clothes, and the quality is excellent - especially for the smaller sizes and the fancier outfits, and everything has been professionally cleaned, they just lack the tags. They even make sure things that come in that were never worn get a thorough cleaning.

Being the third kid in my own family, and having both an older sister and two older girl cousins, lots of my clothes were hand-me-downs and hand-me-down-downs, and I never suffered for it! There was, for most of my childhood, a bag of clothes in the attic labeled "Too small for Jody, too big for Karen" and each season we'd take it down, see what now fit me, and she'd add her outgrown stuff. It was kinda fun!
    I've Been Frosted

I agree with Karen for kids clothes, some are still very good, have been worn only 2-3 times because parents have bought many or received them as presents, or because the clothes were bought before the season and when the season was here the clothes did not fit anymore. I sometimes buy them second-hand, and I also sell them, and they are almost new. For me, it's an opportunity to buy expensive brands for the price of cheap clothes and my daughter is very happy with them. She does not make the difference, it's only the parents that see the difference But of course, I do not buy or sell clothes with stains or damages.

Cars

I've also bought a car new. It was the 3rd car I've had, but the 1st brand new. The reason I bought it new was because I didn't want to have to deal with the possible problems of a used car. I may never buy a car new again though, my car is all paid off now and in great condition for only being 5 years old. I love my car...even if I don't take it to the car wash often.