Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying pet meds via internet

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Buying pet meds via internet

In an attempt to save money, more and more people are doing this. I know of people here on PT that do - myself included.

I have never had a problem buying and receiving what I expected that I was paying for. Many sites have very good prices, and much cheaper than you can purchase from your vet - and it's the genuine article - I read the small print looking for discrepancies. I purchase Advantix flea med for the dogs from a place in Australia. I save a bundle over what I have to pay at the vet, even when I have to pay a max of $4.95 for shipping, and they also have specials that offer free shipping too. I still buy the pup's Heartguard Plus thru the vet, since she is just as cheap, if not cheaper than any site I have found. Can't figure that one, but I'm not about to question it.

So when Myndi became sick recently, her vet put her on Hi-Vite Drops, a high potency vitamin supplement fortified with liver and iron. It's a little pricey - $10.75 for a 1oz. bottle, and on the front of the box it specifically says Sold Exclusively Through Veterinarians".. Being curious to see if I could purchase it on line, by some chance, I Googled it and found it available. The first place that listed it as being available that I checked was Amazon.com - and sure enough - there it was at about half the price I had paid. I thought I had struck paydirt - same box, same name - but wait - a different pharmaceutical manufacturer and I noticed that the logo on the front of the box was different. Of course, they post a fuzzy pic in hopes that no one will notice I suppose. Ok - red flags are flying, so I go the ingredient analysis and start comparing what I have, to what's being sold by this knock-off. Incredible - the potency of the on line one, was a fraction of the one that I have. This may be all well and good as a regular supplement for a healthy animal, but for a sick animal such as Myndi is/was, it would do her almost no good at all. Glad that I'm so picky at times, and take the time to read into things, otherwise I probably would have been suckered into this one.

Just a little info and a "buyer beware". The outside packaging may look almost identical, but it's what's inside that counts. Read, so that you are getting what you think and assume that you're buying. It could be a matter of your pet's health that is at stake.

And one thing that I don't understand - how can this knock-off get away with selling under the same name??? Doesn't sound legal to me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I have never bought the meds online. Do you have to get a prescription from the vet first before you can order?

Thats my question too??
    Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    I have never bought the meds online. Do you have to get a prescription from the vet first before you can order?

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

You only need a prescription for meds that would normally require it. The flea meds I use doesn't require one, but if I was to get the Heartguard on line, I would need a prescription. The web site will indicate if a script is needed or not.
    If your vet is cool, they can fax it, otherwise, just get a copy and fax it or mail it yourself.

The site I buy from is: vetshoponline.com
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I bought Advantage100 and Advantix from PetMeds to use on my granddogs and cats this summer and the price was very reasonable and the packaging from Bayer and very fresh. I would buy again but thank you for the heads up on some of the products!

Quote Originally Posted by sirrahbed View Post
    I bought Advantage100 and Advantix from PetMeds to use on my granddogs and cats this summer and the price was very reasonable and the packaging from Bayer and very fresh. I would buy again but thank you for the heads up on some of the products!
    Next time you need to buy, check out the one I use for better pricing. I found PetMeds to be quite expensive as compared to others. Like anything else - comparison shop.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Well thanks you all.. This is some good info.. I have been considering buying from online stores, but just have never done it..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I do buy meds online, even prescription pet stuff.

My vet won't fax to them due to the high fraud rates. The practice is happy to give me the script, and I scan it and attach it to an email, after I place my order. I put the order number in the email. Works fine, and LOTS less money.

Ellie is SO right, you do have to verify that it is the same medicine. I also get my flea meds from Australia, but I've been advised by my vet that it is a different product as the bugs they have to address are different. Hmm, I've not had any trouble though.

Being in the veterinary field, I am not for buying medications online. No, not because I am not getting paid, but because every time you are prescribed a medication, your pet should have an exam and blood work done. Some medications animals are on need to have the levels checked, to check and see if the medication is indeed doing what it's supposed to be doing. People can purchase medications online thinking they know what their pet needs, when indeed they don't.

Like you guys have said, you have a prescription from your veterinarian faxed/mailed to the online pharmacy, to then be filled and shipped to you. That is different. It's the people who just think they need this, and buy it. I personally think that online pet pharmacy's should require blood work from the veterinarian prescribing, but that's just me.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Next time you need to buy, check out the one I use for better pricing. I found PetMeds to be quite expensive as compared to others. Like anything else - comparison shop.
    Oh yes you are right!! I bought the 6 pack of Advantage100 and pay $67 at PetMeds - it is $49 at your site!! Does this ship from the US do you know? PetMeds orders arrive within only a few days while another company I used to order from shipped from Australia. Thanks!!

PS yes I see that is is shipped from out of the US but it does not say where so I am guessing it is Australia like I had used before - not a problem to me just sometimes may need things *quickly* as I did recently for granddogs (flea prevention) coming to visit - in which case PetMeds was perfect!!
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 06-28-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrahbed View Post
    Oh yes you are right!! I bought the 6 pack of Advantage100 and pay $67 at PetMeds - it is $49 at your site!! Does this ship from the US do you know? PetMeds orders arrive within only a few days while another company I used to order from shipped from Australia. Thanks!!

PS yes I see that is is shipped from out of the US but it does not say where so I am guessing it is Australia like I had used before - not a problem to me just sometimes may need things *quickly* as I did recently for granddogs (flea prevention) coming to visit - in which case PetMeds was perfect!!
    It does ship from Australia and it's about 10 days or maybe a little less. If you have the time and can wait, the savings are worth it. When I ordered the Advantix last Springs for the pups, I also got free shipping with the special they were offering. Normally it's $4.95, but that's the max you ever have to pay, no matter how large your order.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I've only ordered advantage for my cats online and I've been using Entirely Pets. They seem to have great prices and will e-mail me coupon codes so I can save even more. They're also in Northern CA so it only takes a day or two for me to get my order. Since I have 4 cats, I always order the largest dog advantage and then I measure it out. It lasts me a long time too and since I've been using it I've never ever had any more flea problems.

I just checked vetshoponline against entirelypets.com and they much less expensive. I've now added this to my favorites. Thanks for the info pomtzu.

Quote Originally Posted by *LabLoverKEB* View Post
    Being in the veterinary field, I am not for buying medications online. No, not because I am not getting paid, but because every time you are prescribed a medication, your pet should have an exam and blood work done. Some medications animals are on need to have the levels checked, to check and see if the medication is indeed doing what it's supposed to be doing. People can purchase medications online thinking they know what their pet needs, when indeed they don't.

Like you guys have said, you have a prescription from your veterinarian faxed/mailed to the online pharmacy, to then be filled and shipped to you. That is different. It's the people who just think they need this, and buy it. I personally think that online pet pharmacy's should require blood work from the veterinarian prescribing, but that's just me.
    What if one's pet has a chronic condition (diabetes, cardiomyopathy, hyperthyroidism, etc.)? For instance, diabetic syringes are MUCH cheaper at a human pharmacy or even WalMart, than through the vet; as are the ACE inhibitors and beta blockers used in cardiomyopathy. I realize that the animal must be seen frequently by the vet, but rather than dispensing the meds at the office, my vet would write a scrip so that I could have it filled for less money.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I buy all my pet meds from Australia including Heartgard. There is no perscription required on any of the meds I buy. I save a lot when i take advantage of their bundled offers that include the flea med and Heartgard. The thing that surprised me the most is their quick shipment time. I have always received my order on the third day after I order. I have never ordered from a US company that has delivery as quickly as this company. Google "equine-mega-store" for their web page.
    Last edited by kokopup; 06-29-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown