Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread

Originally posted by Tanya&Fritz
    You can probably tell I'm bored but... Here is a picture of Canadian margarine!
    LOL!! There are many brands that are sold that way here, too! I buy a brand called "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter - Light" that comes in a one pund tub (looks like the same size as the one you pictured.) Tub margarine usually is soft, and I have found that the brand I use also has a bit of water when it is melted.
    When I cook using margarine where I actually do measure ingredients, I use measuring cups and scoop out the equvalent of a "stick" of butter or margarine by scooping and leveling a half cup measure. Because of the water I usually scoop a little extra.
    Spencer's Mom

Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat
    August 14, 1986 - June 15 2004
    Thank you so much for the siggies, PCB & Kfamr

* * I've Been Frosted * *

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Cookiebaker, for the corn chowder recipe!!!!! Can't wait to try it!!!!!!

And by the way, I am very familiar with Taste of Home. I don't get the magazine, but I do get their email recipes and print them off for use later. When is later??? I don't know! LOL!!! But one day, I will try them!!!!

Originally posted by jenluckenbach

Yes! Very much so. As a matter of fact, I was going to request some vegetariean recipes that fall into the low fat catagory. Does any one have any?
    I don't eat meat so we have heaps of recipes. I'll start digging out the low fat winter ones and posting them tomorrow.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Originally posted by Miss Meow

I don't eat meat so we have heaps of recipes. I'll start digging out the low fat winter ones and posting them tomorrow.
    my cook pot or casserole dish will be waiting!

Re: Re: Corn Chowder??

Originally posted by Cookiebaker

Creamy Corn Chowder
    Cookiebaker, do you think this would work as a vegetarian dish without the bacon and substituting the chicken cubes for vege? Because it looks yummy
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Prijecnac (Yugoslavian Cheese Loaf)

Easy to make, rich and tasty appetizer -- something like a quiche. Good cold, but fabulous out of the oven. (I got this recipe from a friend and fellow cat lover, Olga Porobich)

Main recipe:
    4 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1 cup flour
    1 pound grated Monterey Jack Cheese
    1 pint cottage cheese (2 cups)
    1 stick (1/4 pound) melted butter or margarine

Mix all ingredients into a batter. Bake in pan at 375 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm.

Variation 1: add chili rellano peppers (Oretga brand? -- peeled and seeded) when preparing batter.

Variation 2 (I used this last week at a potluck, very enthusiastically received):
    Add:
    1 sausage, sauted
    1/4 yellow onion, diced, sauted with sausage
    1/4 pound cooked asparagus tips, chopped finely
    1/4 pound sliced cooked mushrooms

Mix with batter and bake. The baking time took about 5 minutes longer to get the bubbling brown top I'm used to with this, which surprised me -- I'd thought the heated sausage would cause it to cook faster...
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Veggie Pizza Hors D'ouvres

Recipe provided by Mildred Terzich (Olga's cousin)

2 packages of crescent rolls, rolled out flat on a cookie sheet (get rid of the serrations).

Bake 10 - 12 minutes per instructions on the package.

16 oz. of cream cheese, softened. Blend in (to taste)
    Garlic powder
    onion flakes
    dill

Spread mixture over baked crescent rolls.

Spread generously and pat into spiced roll:
    Tiny broccoli flowerets
    Tiny cauliflower flowerets
    shreaded carrots
    shreaded radishs
    minced green onions
    shreaded jicama

Refrigerate overnight. Slice into 'pizza slices'. Delicious!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

I can't beleive I just found this thread!!!! Need to pull out my recipes.....

I don't know how to "quote" something someone wrote.....but anyways TANDOORI CHICKEN IS MY FAV!!!! THANKS FOR THE RECEIPE! Now lets see if I can actually make it!

Re: Prijecnac (Yugoslavian Cheese Loaf)

Originally posted by AmberLee
    Easy to make, rich and tasty appetizer -- something like a quiche. Good cold, but fabulous out of the oven. (I got this recipe from a friend and fellow cat lover, Olga Porobich)
    What size pan do you use? I need all the help I can get!!! LOL!!

Re: Indian recipes anyone?

Originally posted by wolflady
    Indian food is one of my favorite foods. It's a weakness. Many recipes are so time consuming, but here is a quickie for those of you who like to grill!

Tandoori Chicken

Just testing to see if I can reply with a quote!!!!

Re: Re: Prijecnac (Yugoslavian Cheese Loaf)

Originally posted by Logan

What size pan do you use? I need all the help I can get!!! LOL!!
    I use a medium rectangular Pyrex baking dish. It's roughly 9 inches by 18 inches?? (At this moment it's in the dishwasher and I can't get to it. Watch this thread...) Oh rats, no, don't. Just remembered that I use this pan when making more than a single recipe.

Let's see. I usually double the recipe and that pan gets about 2/3 of the resulting batter and the rest goes into the smaller cake pan. Logan -- I have NO idea for the regular recipe/not doubled... You want to put it in a pan so that the mixture is about halfway up -- it 'poofs' up slightly so filling the pan runs a high risk of overflow. (Pun not spotted till it was too late, but I like it and won't rephrase the sentence...) Is this babbling any help???

Note: with the butter and such, it's a rich mixture that you don't need to butter the pan. It usually bakes into a firm cake-like loaf that pulls away from the side on it's own. Let it cool slightly and you can cut it into cubes and serve it piled in a pyramid on a serving tray. Very effective/attractive at a party or shower.

Good luck (I feel like I've mangled these instructions.)

Yeah, Turner! Got the quotes down beautifully!

Re: Re: Re: Corn Chowder??

Originally posted by Miss Meow

Cookiebaker, do you think this would work as a vegetarian dish without the bacon and substituting the chicken cubes for vege? Because it looks yummy
    MM, yes I think it should work fine. I'm not that familar with vegetarian, but it's pretty versatile, & think it would work fine with the changes.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Cookiebaker, for the corn chowder recipe!!!!! Can't wait to try it!!!!!!
    You are very welcome, I hope you enjoy it.

Any of you vegetarians have a recipe for a good eggplant parmesan?
    Spencer's Mom

Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat
    August 14, 1986 - June 15 2004
    Thank you so much for the siggies, PCB & Kfamr

* * I've Been Frosted * *

Vlaamse pannenkoeken

What the heck is this ??LOL It means Flemish pancakes . These are very thin , not like American pancakes ...! More like
    "Crêpes" from France !!

Okay , here comes my alltime favorite recipe :

200 g flour (400)
    1/2 liter milk (1 l)
    2 eggs (4)
    3 tablespoons oil (4)
    3 tablespoons "port" (4)

You may start baking emediately !! Best is to use a non-stick pan ;
    Put a bit of margarine in the pan , melt it and pour 1 dipper of the mixture in the pan . Be sure it is very well heated ! Very soon , the edges dry up , so shortly after this you can try to turn the pancake .
    Have fun !!

I do not turn them with a spoon or so , I throw it in the air like a real chef !!! Sorry , no pics of this

Oeps , forgot to tell that this is enough for 2 persons . If you are 4-5 , just follow the number between ( ) !

Peanut Brittle

The corn chowder sounds so good - I will have to try it!

PEANUT BRITTLE

prepare the largest cookie sheet you have with butter.

1 CUP OF SUGAR
    1/4 CUP OF WATER
    1/2 CUP OF WHITE KARO SYRUP
    1 CUP RAW (UNCOOKED) SPANISH PEANUTS
    1 TABLESPOON BUTTER
    1 1/2 TEASPOON VANILLA
    1 LEVEL TEASPOON BAKING SODA

Melt sugar in Karo syrup and water. Bring to a soft boil. Add the peanuts and butter.

Bring back to a boil and cook for ten minutes until the peanuts pop open and the mixture turns a reddish brown.

Take from the fire and add 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and the 1 level teaspoon of baking soda. Work fast - and fold the mixture well.

Pour onto your prepared baking sheet and pull the mixture thin.

The secret is to get the brittle as thin as possible so you have to work fast. The brittle hardens quickly.