Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread

PLEASE DO!!!

Originally posted by koxka
    NICOLE YOU ARE THE QUEEN OF THE KITCHEN

Anyone is interested in Catalan or Spanish recipes? They are YumiYumi!
    My mother-in-law used to make the best empanadas - got a recipe? I can't find hers and I'd like other interpretations, anyway!! Hers had beef and raisins, and other "stuff"!!!
    I love Catalonian food, what little I know of it. She was Catalonian/Basque (we Americans are always "Something else" )
    Spencer's Mom

Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat
    August 14, 1986 - June 15 2004
    Thank you so much for the siggies, PCB & Kfamr

* * I've Been Frosted * *

Mom's Adobo (Filipino style)

I've had pollo and/or pork adobo from many Filipino friends, but (my mother-in-law) Mom's was the best (actually, Pop was the recipe source, he was raised in Manila):

1/2 lb chicken thighs, boneless, quartered
    1/2 lb pork shoulder, boneless, cut in 1 to 2 inch pieces
    1 TBSP canola oil
    3-4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
    5-6 bay leaves
    1/4 cup black peppercorns (whole)
    1/4 cup paprika
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    1 cup water

Saute the chicken and pork with the garlic in the oil. When browned, add paprika first, toss a little to coat, then add vinegar and water. Add bay leaves and peppercorns, bring to a boil, then let simmer covered on medium low heat until the liquid is reduced.

Serve over steamed rice.

It keeps well, and forms a jelly when chilled!

I usually don't use measurement, so I had to guesstimate these. I usually make it with chicken, and you can adjust the ingredients according to how much meat you use. It is made with pork and/or chicken. The idea is to have more than enough paprika to color the meat; not too much vinegar, but you should taste a tang to the meat and sauce. When you add water to cover, cook until the "sauce" is slightly gelatinous. This property is better acheived when using cut chicken legs or pigs feet. I found I tended to shatter the legs and thighs when I cut them, so went to the boneless variety, and I am not a pig's foot fan!
    The use of vinegar in cooking is also a preservative in hot climates, and has a wonderful flavor. You can change the vinegar to adjust the flavor, but stick to hearty, red vinegars, not white ones.

I used to call all these dishes I got from her "Norweigan Adobo", or "Norweigan Chow Mein" in deference to my ethnic "spins" on the recipes!!
    Last edited by kohala; 10-23-2002 at 12:33 PM.
    Spencer's Mom

Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat
    August 14, 1986 - June 15 2004
    Thank you so much for the siggies, PCB & Kfamr

* * I've Been Frosted * *

NICOLE YOU ARE THE QUEEN OF THE KITCHEN

No, just queen of messing up the kitchen

Catalan and Spanish sounds wonderful. I believe the Catalans have wonderful fish dishes

This is a great thread. Does anybody cook Korean food? I am looking for a chilli broth that's used as a base for hot pot dishes. If I can find that, my life will be complete
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Bruschetta

Loaf of bread
    Olive oil
    Garlic clove
    Fresh Mozzarella
    Tomatoes
    Sweet Onion
    Balsamic vinegar
    Salt, pepper, to taste
    Basil

Roast garlic cloves in oven for 30 minutes at 375. Toss tomatoes, sweet onion, roasted garlic, mozzarella and basil with balsamic, salt and pepper. Heat grill. Slice bread. Place bread on grill and rub bread with garlic clove. Onto the grilled bread layer tomato mixture. Cover with Parmesan shavings.

I'd love some! Do you have the recipe for the small round cakes rolled in pinenuts? I think they make them for Easter?
    And also some Basque recipees!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

What great recipes! Keep them coming!! What about any recipes we make every year during the holidays? I always make my grandmother's stuffed mushrooms...I'll add the recipe here when I get home.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

What a great idea! All of these recipes sound so good! I may have to make a Pet Talk recipe book for home! All recipes are welcome! I just love to try new things, especially healthy and international foods, since I don't have many recipes for those kinds of things.

Here is one of my favorite soups!

BroccoliCheese Soup!!

So good, and yet so easy. This is based off of the T.G.I. Friday's soup recipe and I have found that it works great!
    Try to find one of the large cartons of chicken stock at your store -- there's a perfect four cups of broth in there. Use Swanson brand if your store carries it. One bunch of broccoli should provide enough florets. Just cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces using a sharp knife. Use only the florets and ditch the stem.

4 cups chicken broth
    1 cup water
    1 cup half & half
    4 slices Kraft Cheddar Singles (I actually prefer the Velveeta block cheese because it melts so well, but the Kraft Cheddar Singles work great too and you can even use the Fat Free Singles if you wish)
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or more to taste)
    4 cups broccoli florets (bite-size)

Garnish
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley

1. Combine chicken broth, water, half & half, cheese, flour, onion and pepper in a large saucepan. Whisk to combine and to break up any lumps of flour, then turn heat to medium/high.
    2. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
    3. Add broccoli to soup and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until broccoli is tender but not soft.
    4. For each serving spoon one cup of soup into a bowl and garnish with a tablespoon of shredded cheese and a pinch of parsley.
    Makes 6 servings.
    Last edited by wolflady; 10-23-2002 at 01:10 PM.

Easy Easy Chili

This is easy, requires no careful measuring, watching, etc..plus, pretty low in fat. Problem is...I like things a little hotter than some. So, modify where you can.

3 cans (16 oz) chopped (or diced) tomatoes (or whole, just cut them up) in some sort of sauce..with the 'extra' stuff like green chili's or 'mexican style'.

3 cans (12 or 16) beans. I use black (negro), pinto, butter...really doesn't matter. I like the different types of beans. If you use dry..make sure you cook them first. Rinse these guys!

3 cans of chili beans...which means they come in a sauce..here is where you can lower the temp if you like..I go for 'hot' but you can choose mild (weenies).

Meat- I use ground turkey...but you can use chicken, beef, pork, sausage (well- I guess that is pork, isn't it?). Use however much you want. Some people like meaty chili...some don't. Meat is optional...

1 medium (or large) white onion- chop it up..(those baby food processors are so perfect for this).

3 cloves garlic...he he he...again, can be modified. Again- chop them up.

You can add carrot or celery- I don't, buy YOU can.

In a fry pan...saute onion and garlic...in oil...I use olive oil...until cooked ( brown, or lighter).

Add ground up meat...and fry it till cooked..keep in mind if you use turkey or chicken...you might consider adding a little beef bouillon (maybe a cups worth).

Add everything else and cook for how ever long you want -since all the ingrediants are now cooked, you are just looking to meld flavors. At some point, I add a cup of white wine..though you can add red, too..this is not a necessary ingrediant.

It is a great thing to put on the stove first thing Sunday am...and let it simmer. Then all the Football couch potatoes can eat it while watching their fave team loose!

I can't wait to try all these out. For those of you who are thinking of making the pumpkin cheesecake.. I made it last night. The prep time was about 1 hour, but that's because I didn't let the cream cheese warm up enough. That stuff is HARD to mix!!! I also got pumpkin all over my pants, my shirt, my stove, in my hair.. my mom says the more that gets on you the better it will taste.. we shall see on Saturday when I serve the cake!!!

I also made the dill dip. If you like dill, add another tsp of the dill and the other spices. when I made it the last time it wasn't enough flavour, so I added more this time. hopefully everyone will like it!

Thanks everyone for posting so many yummy foods.. I can't wait until the holidays to make all these. I think I will use my parents as taste testers!!!

JALAPENO WHITE SAUCE ANYONE?

I TYPED IT AND SENT IT ANOTHER PERSON. MAYBE SHE'LL POST IT . IF NOT
    IF ANYONE WANTS THE RECIPE I'LL POST IT FOR YOU.
    SANDY FROST

OMG!!! I'm so excited, I just noticed this thread now! I'm going to find some of my favorite recipes. I LOVE to cook!
    Tanya, Hans, Fritz & Sparky

This evening I have an appontement with one of my sisters to borrow from her a Catalan Coobook in english.

If I translate the recepies myself it can turn out of somthing uneatable

Koala: Your relative was catalan or basque? or both? Empanadas
    aren't catalan nor basque , in fact are from Galicia. The recipie you told me is something I got severals times from people from Chilie, have nerver eat such empanada as a local from spanish people.

Randi: Can you be more specific? They are so many kinds of "Tortells"! And yes we wat it in Easter. People don't make, buy it!
    Anyway I 'll try to find the recipie for you both.

Mis Meow: Do you like Cod? I have one very yumi-yumi rec.

If I translate the recepies myself it can turn out of somthing uneatable

Randi: Can you be more specific? They are so many kinds of "Tortells"! And yes we eat it in Easter. People don't make, buy it!
    Anyway I 'll try to find the recipie for you both.

Do you like Cod? I have one very yumi-yumi rec.
    LOL! I'm sure we'll understand if you translate it!

So are these cakes called "Tortells"? I saw them in a Supermarket in Castelldefels and also a packet with ingredient to make them, but I don't know what's in them! They're really yummy!

I love cod, so that recipe would be very welcome!

By the way, have you seen this: http://recipes.alastra.com/spanish/

Can you recommend any of them?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Mis Meow: Do you like Cod? I have one very yumi-yumi rec.
    Yes, please!
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Most of my fav receipes are at work, cause that is where I make my groceries lists, but here is what I made for dinner tonight...

Chicken Chili:

2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 green pepper
    1 onion
    4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    48 oz Great Northern Beans (with juice)
    2-14 oz cans Chicken Broth
    3 tsp. cumin
    1 tsp. chili powder
    1 tsp. oregano
    1 tsp. basil
    salt and pepper to taste

Cut chicken into bite size pieces and brown in minimal oil. Add green pepper, onion and garlic. Cook 4-5 minutes. Add beans, broth and seasoning. Simmer 10-15 minutes.

Optional additions after serving:
    Shredded cheese
    Sour Cream
    Salsa
    Tortilla chips

I have some very good Cambodian recipes I'll post this weekend.

If anyone has Thai or Indian receipes I would love to have them!