Thread: Anyone have a heat pump with their furnace?

Anyone have a heat pump with their furnace?

We're going to get a new furnace. Ours is 24 years old, and while it still works, it is nowhere near as efficient as it once was. So we figured we would replace it at our convenience - not in the dead of winter with minus temps.

Plus there is that nice rebate awaiting with our tax returns next year

We had one estimate today - another one coming on Tuesday. They recommended a heat pump in addition to the furnace. It would about double the cost, but we would spend way less on propane. But what about the electric bills - will they go sky high?

If any of you have a heat pump, or know someone who does, we would appreciate any comments - good or bad.

***sigh*** Yes, we have a heat pump. Unfortunately they are REALLY common in Maryland. We have a rather good sized home - the furnace is for the lower levels and the heat pump is for the upstairs. Ours is not exactly energy efficient and we're waiting for it to die (it's not accomodating our request).

Heat pumps are fine in temperate climates. The issues with them include; the air blowing does not feel warm, they don't keep up with extreme temperatures, they freeze up. I would do a lot of research on heat pumps in your specific area before I put one in my home.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Thank you. I had done a bit of research this afternoon and read about the freeze ups.

4. I danno anything about furnaces,, but at the mention of them this story flashed into my mind.

With a future fiancée in his mind, John Metz’s will to live overcame an unthinkable situation of life or death. On June 7 the Connecticut native went to repair his basement furnace when his arm became trapped.

Twelve hours later, with a dire scenario in his hands, Metz made a decision that would change his life forever.

It took six hours to mentally prepare himself, but 18 hours in he began to cut off his own arm.

“The idea was to sever the arm, grab it out of the bottom of the fire box, run upstairs, rinse it off, throw it in the freezer, call 911 and presto bam-o, a few days later I would have my arm reattached,” said Metz.

He passed out halfway through the act, but with an infected arm, Dr. Scott Ellner said his work saved his life.

“It was unlikely that he would survive more than 24 hours if he didn’t do what he did,” said Dr. Ellner.

When he regained consciousness he survived for two days by drinking water leaking from the furnace.

“What emerged was the most disgusting orange water I had ever seen, and yet it was the best looking water I’d ever seen,” Metz said.

Worried friends found him still stuck in the furnace when they came looking. Clinging to life for those few hours alone, his life and future was saved. With his arm now amputated, he explained his actions and thoughts in a news conference earlier this week.

“I would say this to anybody out there who says oh I’m not sure I can do that, the human spirit is strong and trust me whether it’s cutting your arm off or finding some other way, I think all people would be surprised what they are capable of,” said Metz.

source: http://weareaustin.com/fulltext?nxd_id=71035

I'm not sure what the previous post has to do with a question about a heat pump?

I can say with absolute certainty that neither of us would ever attempt to repair a furnace, heat pump, washer, dryer, stove, fridge, or any other household appliance by ourselves. That's what the service people are for.

6. Yeah i know. its just furnaces tend to creep me out now after that. referring to heart pump or not. LOL

We heat our upstairs with a heat pump. We are in the upstate of SC. I don't remember where it is that you live. I would never choose a heat pump if I could help it because although we don't have lots of snow and don't have days and days of below freezing temps, we do get cold and a heat pump has to work really, really hard and unless the emergency heat strip comes on, it does not put out the warm air that an oil or gas furnace would. Ours still works, and we do cool with it effectively in the summer months, but I would choose something else if I had the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    although we don't have lots of snow and don't have days and days of below freezing temps.
    Today, with the humidity level and temp 80 plus, this statement doesn't make me angry. BUT, had you said this in December, January or February? LOL- watch out!

I soooo long for a more mild climate (fully recognizing we do not have it as bad as many. Still too cold for my liking).

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I have to agree that heat pumps are not what they've cracked up to be.

This house is all electric (electric furnace), and when we added a 3 room addition several years ago, the contractor recommended a heat pump for that area, since the electric furnace wouldn't handle that too. So of course he was the expert and knew what he was talking about - right?

Well as Maggie said, they are fine for temperate climates, and where the temps don't usually go below 40 for an extended time. If you live in a colder climate, they don't work very efficiently.

I too would have to say - check out other options before you commit to a heat pump.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Living in one of the coldest parts of the country I can tell you heat pumps are not what they're cut out to be. My husband installs them but never recommends them. And ours are all inground heat pumps, trenches at least 6 ft deep . And you need a very large property because of the amount of piping required. One advantage is you get your a/c with it but as far as heating a huge house the air just does not blow as hot as electric or gas, most people here have gas unless the lines don't pass where they live. For our part of the country it's the cheapest way to go. Although we do have an electric furnace in the garage to kick in when we want instant heat but we also have a woodstove in the house and in the garage because I like dry heat. They are very cost efficient and not much trouble, being air tight. You can fill it in the morning and it lasts all day.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Old heat pump technology required supplemental heat on colder days. In my area this was typically strip heat that on colder days could be costly. The latest heat pump technology uses two compressors and requires no suppliemental heat even in the coldest (lower 48 US) days. In fact one of the manufactures of the new dual compressor Heat pumps is in New Hampshire. The latest Heat Pump is worth looking into. iF YOU LIVE IN THE NORTH i DO NOT ADVISE THE OLDER HEAT PUMP THAT REQUIRES SUPPLEMENTAL HEAT.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Thank you all for your responses. And I'm sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. We lost power Friday night just after 9pm - in the nasty storms that went through. Just got it back 20 minutes ago.

We talked at length about the heat pump, and have decided that is not the way to go for us. We have a well insulated house, and generally keep the winter temp no higher than 64°. We heat with propane and I tallied up the cost of that for the past 10 years, and it would take us forever to make up the cost of the pump.

So we will stick with a high efficiency furnace

I just wanted to say i have a heat pump and have only had it for one year and it is FANTASTIC, but then i live in NZ, the temps in my city rarely get below -1 and it works at minus 15, well so it says.

I have never been so warm and comfortable in my home ever, i have a small home, but we installed a bigger pump to help with upstairs heating, it takes the chill off the bedrooms and it can be even quite warm at times, i used to sit on my computer in the bedroom and by the time i left my hands were frozen,not any more.

With all my aches and pains, the heat pump has been a godsend, i absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE my heat pump.

However i have heard they do not operate well in very cold temperatures and if you live within 1km of the sea, you can expect them to erode and rust and that will not be covered by the warranty.

A big mistake a lot of people make is not installing one that is big enough, and it has to work so much harder to maintain the heat and probably won't ever do a great job.

For North Island climates in NZ, they are perfect.

I have heard of an electric heating called NOBO, we have them here and they are used in Norway, and work very well.

Anyhow hope you are happy with your decision, seems like the right one to me.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️