Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Myndi-UPDATE-9/17-Friday-#119

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Myndi-UPDATE-9/17-Friday-#119

My little girl has me worried. She is acting very strange. I thought she might be missing the rest of the family who is on vacation, but she gets progressively worse with each day. I'm hoping she'll perk up when they get back this weekend.

She walks around like she's in a fog. I take her outside and she pretty much just stands where I put her. When she's in the house, she stays under my bed and I have to drag her out. Her hidey place was always there anyway, but she would come out when I called her - but not now - and I have to close my bedroom door to keep her out of there. She doesn't even bark and come running to me when I get home if I have been out running errands. She hasn't wanted any of her mid-morning snacks for a couple of weeks, and last night she ate hardly any of her supper. This morning she wouldn't eat any treat that I normally hide her meds in, so I couldn't get them in to her. She's drinking water, but not that much, but she's always been that way, so I don't know if I should be concerned about that.

I'm going to call her vet's office in a while, and see if she can see her tomorrow since she's off today. I don't want to wait thru the weekend and have to take her to the emergency vet. She has a heart murmur, but has been stable with that for several years, and still was several months ago when she was last checked.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do for her? It breaks my heart to see her this way. I know she's getting old (14 this past Jan) and I will have to face bumps in the road, and eventually the final one. But this has come on rather quickly and I'm not ready yet.

If you could, please send some PT prayers her way. Thanks all.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 09-17-2010 at 05:10 PM.

Sending prayers for Myndi. I think a trip to the vet is in order. Give her lots of loves.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Vet would be my only advice. I'm sorry Myndi is not feeling well. Just give her lots of love (like you don't already) and hopefully the trip to the vet will have answers and a quick fix.

Hugs to you and Myndi.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Lots of prayers for Myndi! Let us know what the vet says... I'm sorry she's not well. Pinot sends purrs.... {{{hugs}}} to you and Myndi.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Prayers and a candle coming from CT.

Paws and fingers crossed for Myndi.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

You know Myndi best, so I would go with your instincts on this. If it's
    aready been a few days, I'd try to get her in to the Vet as soon as you can.
    might just be a "bug" that they can fix right up. I hope so.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Poor Myndi! I hope she is feeling better very soon and that you can get her in to the vet tomorrow and give you some peace of mind.
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Thanks to all of you. Keep those prayers coming, because I really think she needs them.

She has a vet appointment tomorrow at 1:00, but in the meantime, I believe I have stumbled upon the problem. I don't normally follow the pups around and check their poop, but today, on a hunch, I did with her. I finally coaxed her out into the yard to walk a little, and she had to poop. I checked it, and it was a black tar like poop. My guess - a bleeding stomach ulcer - and since I "wrote the book" on GI issues on myself, I'm pretty darned sure that's what it is.

But if that's what it is, then it's all my fault and was preventable! Right now I feel like the worst dog mom on the planet and I can't stop bawling!

She has arthritis and a luxated patella, and for the past few months has seemed more uncomfortable than usual with it. So with the vet's approval, I was giving her a baby aspirin (and always with food), once or twice a day. It seems like she can't tolerate it at all. I just pray that I caught it soon enough and she can be medicated back to health. She's not vomiting, so that's one good sign anyway, and she doesn't appear to be in pain either. Before I made my discovery, I offered her some fresh cooked chicken that I had cooked up for chicken salad, and she ate that, but I think I should withhold any more food from her till after her appointment and we see what the vet says. I haven't noticed her drinking any, so if she doesn't, I'll have to squirt some water in her mouth.

Of course, my diagnosis is only speculation, but I really believe it's the problem.

Has anyone had a pet with a stomach ulcer, and if so, how easy (or not), was the recovery?

God - I feel so guilty............

And of course, in my befuddled state of mind, I didn't save the poop, so I'm hoping she will go again for me before her appointment.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Awe poor little Mydni. The black tarry appearance is most likely undigested blood, possible from a bleeding stomach ulcer! Let us know what the doctor says!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    Lots of prayers for Myndi! Let us know what the vet says... I'm sorry she's not well. Pinot sends purrs.... {{{hugs}}} to you and Myndi.
    Same for me and Cassie kitty ... purrs and prayers
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Aww, sorry I just spotted this Ellie. I didn't get a chance to get on today. I think you might have hit the nail on the head though. Black tarry poop is always a sign of intestinal bleeding somewhere and if you suspect an ulcer then you could be right . I know dogs can be put on meds same as us for ulcers, my neighbour's dog is on Tagamet right now and seems to be doing okay...of course he's a collie so much bigger than little Myndie. But I'm sure the vet can put her on something for her size.
    Glad you have that vet appointment, will be holding my breath until you let us know what's what and of course you will both be in my prayers. Don't go blaming yourself, I've taken the blame for being blind for what happened to my dogs but it doesn't help. We all give over 100% to our dogs so it was nothing you did or didn't do.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Been out all day, Ellie.

Prayers from RI for you and Myndi both! And hugs to you, and gentle pets for her.

Sure do hope she poops again for you as this sounds like it will be an important part of the diagnosis!

Say hi to Sparky for me, not allowed to leave anyone out.

Prayers for Myndi coming your way.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Oh man, I'm sorry, I just saw this. I hope it's all treatable and she feels better. <3 That's very hard to go through. Delta prayers are being sent your way
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope that whatever is wrong with her can be easily treated. Good luck at the vets tomorrow. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.