Thread: Have you heard about innova?

Have you heard about innova?

I was talking to kt_luvs_kitties the other day and she said that Procter and Gamble have bought Innova Foods. They are trying to keep it quiet she said because they are going to change it and not tell anyone. I think this is so wrong if this is what is going to happen. Has anyone heard about this?
    Melissa

I heard this too, and I was FLABBERGASTED! I used to work for Natura, and I don't think their founder, John (who I had the pleasure of meeting on several occasions) would approve of this AT ALL!! He just retired a few months ago, and this seems like a move WAY away from their original intentions....

It was posted here about a month or so ago. TOTAL BUMMER!

There is still Go and Now. "Now" is a Canadian brand, with an umlaut (sp?) over the "o".

One store here stopped ordering Innova as soon as the announcement came out!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Yes, I heard about this and I also heard that they can still have the same packaging with the same ingredients listed even if it's not the same. I'm so upset by this and I don't understand how they can get away with something like this either.

I've been feeding Innova Evo dry and some of their canned food to my cats for several years now and they love it and have been doing very well on it. Now I'm just going to have to change brands because I don't trust P&G at all. They just had a recall on their canned Iams food recently. I also don't understand how a great company like Natura could sell their company to one that doesn't care about a quality product. I'm outraged.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I also don't understand how a great company like Natura could sell their company to one that doesn't care about a quality product. I'm outraged.

I think it has to be because the founders, John and Ann, retired. They are FANTASTIC people and John's whole philosophy was to make things about the "little guys". He is a great man who cares a LOT about the animals his company feeds, so I'll bet he's just SEETHING about this sale.

I'm peeved because I JUST bought a big bag of Healthwise for my dog, and now I'm going to have to start looking for a replacement. I've been so happy with Healthwise for the dog and the kitties, I'm dreading starting over looking at foods.

FURTHERMORE, Natura only sold to privately owned stores...does this mean that big box chain stores are going to be carrying EVO now!? Insane!

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    I think it has to be because the founders, John and Ann, retired. They are FANTASTIC people and John's whole philosophy was to make things about the "little guys". He is a great man who cares a LOT about the animals his company feeds, so I'll bet he's just SEETHING about this sale.

I'm peeved because I JUST bought a big bag of Healthwise for my dog, and now I'm going to have to start looking for a replacement. I've been so happy with Healthwise for the dog and the kitties, I'm dreading starting over looking at foods.
    This is so sad that whoever is now in charge of Natura did this to a wonderful company. I tried a few other grain free dry cat foods in the past and either my cats didn't like it or they had a bad reaction to it. I also dread having to look for another great dry food. I've been feeding them some of the canned Nature's Variety and they're doing well on it so at least I have the canned food covered.

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    FURTHERMORE, Natura only sold to privately owned stores...does this mean that big box chain stores are going to be carrying EVO now!? Insane!
    Most likely and it may also be sold cheaper too.

That is a shame as Innova is a very good food and Proctor and Gamble are looking for profits andreally don't care about our Cats at all
    I ahve talked to people who work at Pet Food Stores and they are sad that Iams is still considered a premium food, when quite frankly it has slipped in quality, while Proctor and Gamble charges premium prices.
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO O
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I sent a short email to the Canadian P&G office.

Tried to do it on the US site too - but the drop-down menu for year of birth ended at 1970. WTH????

Not that it will change anything, but I can at least voice my disappointment - and tell them that one chain of stores (at least the local franchise) dropped ordering Innova as soon as they heard the announcement.

Well I just went to the Natura Pet website and I clicked on news and here's a letter dated June 1st 2010 explaining about the P&G take over. If this man is telling the truth then I won't have anything to worry about. Here's the link:http://www.naturapet.com/news/letter.asp.

I have Jasper on Innova Evo dry because he has IBD. He takes pred daily, but I surely dont want to mess with his food and start up another round of diarrhea. But at least I am informed about the possibility of change, and even the slightest porblem for Jasper will mean immediate change in his food. Hopefully to something that will work as well for him.

Of course they will say that nothing will change, they said the same thing when P&G took over Iams.
    They are a graet company for cleaning products, but I wouldnt trust them with Pet Food. I am now going with Science Diet and Pro Plan.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I've heard questionable things about Science Diet,too. I feed a variety of what I consider healthy canned foods and keep my boys on Purina One for Urinary Tract Health. They have been thriving on it!!!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

This just in:

I received a reply to my email to P&G:

Hello from Sandy at P&G Pet Care 04841954 [ ref:00D7JViV.5007Cf0z8:ref ]

hide details 16:04 (16 hours ago)

Dear Candace:

Thank you for taking the time to write. I appreciate your concern and will certainly forward your comments to our management team.

Natura has been extremely successful with their unique formulas, providing high quality nutrition to dogs and cats. Quality is and always has been paramount for Natura. We will continue to provide the current formulas to our customers.

P&G and Nutura’s manufacturing facilities are complementary. P&G will depend on the Natura’s manufacturing plants to continue to produce the unique products they currently produce.

Superior quality and value are two reasons P&G has grown to be such a large company. The P&G resources now available could actually boost product quality because we are able to utilize some of their learnings and nutritional expertise.

P&G is committed to growing the Natura brands and understand the critical nature of growing the portfolio through the independent pet specialty channel.

If we can be of further help, we would welcome your call Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time at 800-9834237. Additionally, please feel free to contact Natura’s Consumer Care at 800-532-7261.

Sincerely,
    Sandy
    P&G Pet Care Team Member

That's encouraging news. Thanks for writing them and posting their response, Candace.

As for Iams.. well, I get a local-area petsitters' network mail-digest daily, and today one of the members posted THIS message she just got from her vets regarding P&G's Iams ProActive Health Cat and Kitten Food:

-----Original Message-----
    #####
    Sent: Mon, Jun 14, 2010 3:44 pm
    Subject: Important message: Cat Food Recall

Dear ######,

We wanted you to be aware of the following food recall from Procter & Gamble (P&G):

P&G announced a voluntary recall of select varieties of Iams ProActive Health Cat and Kitten Food in 3-oz. and 5.5-oz. cans. The cat food is being voluntarily recalled in North America only. This recall is due to incorrect levels of thiamine--an essential part of the cat diet. Dates on the bottom of the recalled cans range from 09/2011 to 06/2012.

Consumers who have purchased affected product should immediately discontinue feeding the product to their cats and switch to another product with a balanced nutritional profile. Cat owners using this product should monitor their cat for signs of thiamine deficiency, including a reduction in appetite or refusal of food, weight loss, vomiting or diarrhea, and salivation. Advanced signs of thiamine deficiency may include seizures, falling, circling, or downward curving of the neck. If your cat is pregnant or experiencing health issues, please make an appointment for an exam.

For further information or a product refund, call P&G toll-free at 877-340-8826 (Monday–Friday, 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM EST).

Remember, this affects only Iams ProActive Health Cat and Kitten Food in 3 oz. and 5.5 oz. cans marked with the dates identified above. For more detailed product information, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration website.

Sincerely,

##### Animal Hospital

---------------------

I hope P&G is on the up-and-up and doing the right thing with these "natural" foods.. but it's always a good idea to be careful, too.

My cats eat Taste of the Wild kibble, and I haven't found out anything bad about that.. yet...
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery