Thread: cat wound

cat wound

My cat Smokey seems to have a wound between his eye and his ear. A patch of fur is missing about the size of a nickel. I think one of my other cats may have had a fight with him. It doesn't seem to be infected, just bright red skin, I think. I did not find blood anywhere. What can I use to clean/heal this wound? Thanks!

Is the wound still open? You might get him to the vet if so. Otherwise just clean it like you would a wound of your own, but don't use any ointment that he'd then get on his paws to take it off.
    I've Been Frosted

Yes, don't use ointment, it often seals in infections. Just use peroxide if it's just a small scrape. If it's open, draining, or larger see your vet. Either way watch for infection or swelling within the next 7-10 days as fight wounds sometimes abcess.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

If it doesn't clear up but doesn't get worse, it would be worth having the vet check for allergens. Sometimes cats get allergic to mites that are nearly impossible to detect otherwise.

Love, Columbine

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    Yes, don't use ointment, it often seals in infections. Just use peroxide if it's just a small scrape. If it's open, draining, or larger see your vet. Either way watch for infection or swelling within the next 7-10 days as fight wounds sometimes abcess.
    so peroxide is better than ointment....even if it's an ointment the vet gave me?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhead84 View Post
    so peroxide is better than ointment....even if it's an ointment the vet gave me?

If the vet gave it to you then no. At the vet they have a number of different ointments for a variety of ailments and the vet knows which one is best for what and which is safe for your pet.

I said 'ointments' in a general way because at work we WAY too often see people constantly putting bag balm, and neosporin on everything before finally relenting and bringing the pet in when the condition gets worse instead of better. Some things just aren't able to be treated with ointments and will require oral antibiotics, or there may be another underlying medical problem that has to be treated first.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

You might want your vet to ruleout ringworm. There's alot of that going around and it is CONTAGIOUS.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!