Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice from my PT cat friends.

Need advice from my PT cat friends.

As some of you know I have been toying with the idea of getting another cat. It has been decided that getting a kitten is the best option since I've seen how Paizly reacts to an adult cat (my friends cat I had for 4 months, G). Even though I had my heart set on adopting an adult cat.
    Anyway, Bruce and I have been talking about it for nearly a year (since I lost Taz). He suggested I foster just to see how Paizly reacts and if she freaks out we can give it back to the shelter.
    Another option has come up as a possiblity. This weekend the shelter where I volunteer is having free adoptions. (I know, it's not the best idea because people that really can't afford an animal will come get one just cuz it's free) But I was thinking this would be good because if the kitten doesn't work at the house with Paizly then I wouldn't be out any money if I did have to take him back. Even though it would break my heart into pieces if it did come down to having to return him.
    Yes, I keep saying him. I want a boy. And I see on the website (arf.net) two 9 week old little boys. One is Derek and the other is Damian. There isn't a picture of Damian up yet, but it says he is a red or orange tabby. There are also 5 siamese boys, but for some reason Bruce said he didn't want a siamese (no clue why).

I need everyone's advice - good or bad, I want to hear all sides.

I am torn because I don't want to upset Ms Paizly, but at the same time I think she needs a play mate. HELP!
    Last edited by Taz_Zoee; 06-09-2010 at 08:59 PM.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

There are so many kittens needing homes this time of year that it is worth the shot, but I'd just be very careful about how the introductions go. Having the new kitty sequestered, letting them sniff each other under the door, etc., and seeing how she reacts is the only way you will know for sure!
    I've Been Frosted

It's kitten season, and in the bay area a LOT of kittens get PTS this time of year. I vote go for it! Sherpa is highly territorial about adult cats, but he has been magnanimous about the variety of foster kittens I've brought into the house.

They ceratinly are great looking Kittens Taz-Zoee , and as Karen points out you do have to be careful about introductions as Paizly probably will not accept a young Kitten who races around like a lunatic and startles her and thinks that her tail is an interesting toy easily.

But if you are careful and do things slowly then Paizly may well decide to be a surrogate Meepwmie and they will bond and be fast friends
    Pouncer did not care for Mr Scrappy at first and she chased him about for a month, and from then on they bonded and are the Damon and Pthyias of The Awesome Angels Army.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Karen, I have the perfect set up for introductions. We have a spare bedroom that the kitten would be in for the first week or so, depending on how it goes. Just like we did when I got Paizly. Then I put up a baby gate and allow dogs and cats to sniff the newbie.
    I'm just so scared. My sister said the same thing - I won't know until I try!
    Thanks for the response Karen.

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thanks Cathy! Yeah, Sherpa and Paizly got along good didn't they? That makes me feel better.

And thanks Gary, I would definitely take introductions slow, in fact I'd have to with the dogs anyway.

I am all mixed up inside. I'm a litte excited and scared all at the same time. Hee hee

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Maybe Bruce doesn't want a Siamese because they are so vocal!?

If you had one, you would see how smart and resourceful they are. I had 3 at one time, and there was never a dull moment. They were such clowns, and always had us laughing. Once you have one, you always want another!

Whatever you decide on - good luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

the Siamese's are great kitties , says Buddy

ps... as you can see , he loves his dad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-28-2007 Buddy close up.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	45534   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1599.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	991.9 KB 
ID:	45535   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1674.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	45536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1736.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	45537  
    Nothing says love like a kitty purring in you ear

1-1-06 buddy in basket bright

Awww, Buddy is adorable!
    I hope I didn't offend anyone with the comment about Meezers. I have no idea why he doesn't want one. Honestly, I don't even think he knows anything about them except how they look. Oh wait, maybe he watched Cats 101 with me before and did hear about how vocal they are.
    He's never had a cat before Taz and I moved in with him, so he has no past experience with any breed.

So, I've decided to meet the two D's (Derek and Damian) on Saturday. I might even stop by there tomorrow or Friday to see if I can get a sneak peak at them. And then we will see how it goes from there. I should have Bruce go down and see the Siamese guys, but he is busy on Saturday.

All I can say is good luck! I have never had more than one kitty at a time, so I can't advise. Keep us posted!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I Looked at the pictures of the kitties, and those siamese pictured will look like Buddy, as they appear to be of the " blue-point" kind

All the others are so cute too

Good luck in your choice you make.... but Im sure whoever you choose will be the right one
    Nothing says love like a kitty purring in you ear

1-1-06 buddy in basket bright

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    So, I've decided to meet the two D's (Derek and Damian) . . . .
    and bring BOTH OF THEM home! (that's my vote, he hee)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    and bring BOTH OF THEM home! (that's my vote, he hee)
    Oh nooooooo no no no!!!! That's NOT the plan! Now if I brought Bruce with me that might happen, but he's not coming! LOL Thanks Sandie!

Well, they keep adding kittens to the site. There are two more up now. Little tuxie boys. I do have another criteria and that is short hair. I have enough hair to deal with on the dogs and myself. So now there are three possibilities. There may be even more by Saturday.

I say go for it Cindy....I think Paizly will do ok with another kitty especially seeing she is the older one now and will be BOSS. I think that is a tortie thing BTW all my torties have always had to be boss even over the dogs. I was looking at the pics and the kitties are all so cute. ^_^

I really like the look of this little guy.

and this little fart

and OMG Damian looks so lost & sad. He will be hard to resist.

Will be waiting on pins and needles to see who becomes the newest member of the household. ^_^

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Cindy, I say go for it. I love orangie males and they're usually very goofy and so entertaining. I'm sure that Paizly will accept a kitten much easier than an adult because it'll be smaller and less of a threat to her.

Having meezers can be very noisy if they're like my Pearl but my RB Starr was fairly quiet. He would squeak instead of meow. Sky also has some meezer in him and he's also fairly quiet. I'm sure it'll be hard for you choose which kitten to adopt because they're all so adorable. Good luck.