Thread: home dog grooming

home dog grooming

I've groomed my dogs since I was 5, started with just helping my mom hold the dogs and brush them at that age of course. Recently she got rid of her original Wahl razor since it was 20 years old and starting to die. She then bought a conair piece of crap that doesn't work well. And then I bought a Wahl kit for people seeing as my friend with an airedale gets through her dog fine with their wahl clippers for people. Mine doesn't get through the dogs (Wallace is a cocker with all undercoat due to post shave issues he's had before we got him). The problem is the razors get clogged with hair. Make one swipe and then they start making the high pitched clogged sound and stop working and you have to clean them after every swipe. Its annoying and slower than using the scissors on the entire dog. I just want something that doesn't get clogged and can do two medium sized dogs every few months. Any recommendations?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Anything by Andis
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I sell clippers and trimmers

Hey, I might be able to help with some information. I sell clippers and trimmers at Sally Beauty Supply. There are 2700 of their stores all around the country.

Sally's doesn't sell anything for pets, but you CAN improvise. Wahl makes all kinds of clippers. If you get a good one (professional style) it should do the trick. You will need to spend about $50 for one. I would suggest a Wahl Designer. Andis is good, but Wahl's are better.

I am going to try to clip my new puppy when it is time. I have a Wahl Designer ready to go!

Hope this helps.

P>S> In the clipper world, you get what you pay for.

I have an Andis. But I only do trims on Zoee. I do not do full shaves or anything. Usually I just trim her bottom up more because the groomer never does it short enough for me. And her bottom coat is SUPER thick.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

My favourite is still the Andis AGC Super Two Speed clipper.