Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you look old?

I just don't get it... people going in to have Botox injections every now and again, and worse - facelifts and boob jobs etc. Have you seen what they look like 10-15 years later? I watched a programme on TV recently and saw what it involved - good grief! Oh yes, I would certainly like to look younger, but not at all costs! I'd rather have back the energy I had years ago.

Btw, I've always looked younger than I am, but I think we all have to face it, once you're past 50, you will get wrinkles. Live with it!

Someone posted a thread here some time ago (years?) with links to what people looked like before and after treatment, that should scare anyone enough from having it done.
    Last edited by Randi; 06-06-2010 at 03:48 PM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I think Joan Rivers looks great and at 75 she has boundless energy.
    As for Botox, you would be shocked at how many people have it done and most people don't even know. I notice because I see the patients all the time but if a person has Botox done right you would not notice anything but a person who looks a bit fresher.
    Those lines around the mouth are filled in with fillers and like magic those lines are gone and no one knows. A half an hour you walk out the door looking great.

I just don't see the point of cosmetic surgery for most people for vanity's sake. They'd likely holler good and loud if someone took 10 year experience of their resume arbitrarily, why worry about looking live you've lived those years?
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Marigold2 View Post
    [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=purple]I think Joan Rivers looks great and at 75 she has boundless energy.
    Sure she looks good. With her money and a good doctor, I could look that good too.
    I wonder what she would look like without all of the procedures that she has had?? Probably just another wrinkled 75 year old. As for her energy - well I can say I envy her for that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Some jobs require looking ones best everyday. Men use botox, whiten their teeth, color their hair almost as much as women do.
    Looking good sends out a signal that you are a healthy individual and up for the job.
    It's not so much about being vain as it is looking the best one can, some jobs are about image. Sales for instance, you are not as likely to buy something from a disshelved person as you are from someone who is put together well.
    Shiny shoes, a good haircut an execellent suit make a big difference in sales especially if you are selling a high priced item. BMW salesmen don't wear shorts and T-Shirts to sell you that new car, nor do the girls at the makeup counter at Macys.
    Most Drs wear suits, so do most lawyers, CEO, medical sales rep are always dressed lovely, the women all wear dresses and the men suits. Real Eatate people are fancy dressers.
    It's important to look successful and dress the part whatever that might be.
    My husband has been in sales for 30 years and he knows that you buy the product from the salesman and he or she has to sell themselves before recommending a product.
    If you and another person have the same skills but that person is dressed nicer then you or their teeth are whiter or their shoes shine more they will most likey get the job.
    Like buying a home, the three most important things location, location, location.
    It might not be right to judge a new candidate on their apperence so much but I for one will always wear a suit to an interview. Can't hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I just don't see the point of cosmetic surgery for most people for vanity's sake. They'd likely holler good and loud if someone took 10 year experience of their resume arbitrarily, why worry about looking live you've lived those years?

Appropriate dress is essential to any job. Before I retired most of my customers would prefer having a gray haired Engineer to a young one anyday. Maybe the BMW salesman needs to be young, but in the Automation engineering industry experience is valued much more than looks.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

I must look old 'cause I get the senior discount without anyone asking my age!

I feel better when I put on some make-up and fix my hair. However, I do wear a wash&wear hairstyle and haven't worn a dress or skirt in a dozen years. I hate to even run to the store looking like a slob.

These days everyone seems to be younger than I am.

Someone I know personally (mid 40s) met with her first of two potential plastic surgeons for an 'estimate'. She wants her eye lids done, and gets a chemical peel all thrown in for a little over $5000.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I just don't get it... people going in to have Botox injections every now and again, and worse - facelifts and boob jobs etc..
    Randi,

What kind of a job could a boob do?

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Randi,

What kind of a job could a boob do?
    Richard you crack me up. They'd probably do a better job than some people I know.

"Some people, no matter how old they get, never lose their beauty - they merely move it from their faces to their hearts."
    Martin Buxbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Marigold2 View Post
    With some lifestyles and jobs apperence matters more then others. If I am out working in my garden or just grocery shopping, my looks don't really matter as long as I am freshly showed when I go out, brush my teeth and do all the basics.
    However my work is different I am expected to look good working for a plastic surgeron, it's part of the image. Same with the ladies at the makeup counter at Macy's or Dillards. If you work for a dentist you have nice teeth otherwise people will wonder about the work the dentist does.
    When I worked in a staffing office I wore heels, hose and suits or dresses everyday. Office attire is how some people spend most of their waking time. If you are wear a suit most women will have their hair done and makeup and nails done as well. It's just part of the look.
    So it is really all subjective on lifestyle and taste.
    As for looking good, when I am dressed up I feel good, I look better with hair styled and makeup on.

Lately I'm starting to realize that I am older than other people! For example, I am a LOT older than some of my work training classmates, who just graduated from college a few years ago. On the first day of hospital orientation, one of the trainers shared an anecdote about Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor - a place I remember well from when I was in high school. Almost no one else in the class had ever heard of it! Did I feel old!

We have a team of consultants in our office helping to develop the program for which I and the other trainees have been hired. They wear heels, hose and mostly black suits or dresses. And a LOT of make-up, jewelry, and always nicely manicured nails. I don't have nice clothes and shoes like that. When they're around I always feel ... plain.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Yikes! Great topic since I'm on the last of my 50's!

Growing up, I looked so much younger than my age that I used to cry that guys thought I was too young to ask out. Fast forward...I think I look relatively decent, but I agree that illness, stress etc, ages you pretty fast. I see wrinkles and sags that weren't there, well yesterday! I like my grey hair and I think I take pretty good care of myself. I'm excited that I wake up every day (so far) Things could be a hulluva lot worse.

I've been Boooo'd!

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Someone I know personally (mid 40s) met with her first of two potential plastic surgeons for an 'estimate'. She wants her eye lids done, and gets a chemical peel all thrown in for a little over $5000.00.
    The quote seems a bit high but not outrageously so. I am assuming this is just the Dr’s cost and not the cost for the hospital or anesthesia which is quite a bit more.
    It is an out patient surgery, very routine.
    Medicare pays for this surgery called ptotis, almost all elderly people have it done as their eyelids droop and it interferes with their vision.
    Some people have it done in their 40’s most in their 60’s and 70’s when they notice their vision is obstructed by the drooping lids.
    People come into the office and have a visual field done. One test is done with the eyes open as they normally are, the field is then redone with the lids taped up as they would appear after surgery. The test shows how much better the patient can see after the surgery, this info is sent to the insurance company and they decide weather they will pay for the surgery or not. Medicare pays automatically but then audits.
    The results are dramatic people are so happy to be able to see again. A good surgeon makes it look like nothing has been done; you don’t have a Kenny Rodgers look, your eyes are just open more.
    It makes life so much more enjoyable and safe when people can see to drive, walk, cook, dance, watch TV and just go about their normal business.
    Your friend should see if the insurance will cover her surgery, can't hurt to try. The chemical peel is not covered that is just cosmetic.

Some people say I don't look my age but I beg to differ with them. I think I do look my age. I know I really feel my age at times. I know with all my health problems, my bi-polar, depression, anixiety, and panic attacks, I really do. Now I am having trouble with my legs, back. I can't even crawl up in a chair, or walk very far at a time. Yep, I look into the mirror and see wrinkles, and have to color my hair!

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!