Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I'm buying a house....

So I'm buying a house....

Update Post #43

Photos Post #35

Three weeks ago I was looking at houses with my parents.

I'd print out listings and we'd drive out to the property and take a look at the exterior of the house, the property, and, if the house was abandoned, peer in the windows. We'd also get a general feel for the neighborhood.

In the list was a house on Gibson. It was a bank forclosure built in 1965 (3 bed, 1 1/2 bath) listed at $38,000. It was in a quiet neighborhood on a dead end street, fenced in back yard, deck, basement, and from what we could tell the inside was in very nice condition. I called my buyer's agent right then and left a message to schedule a day to go inside and check the house out.

We continued to look at houses and got to the listing on Valencia. This was a HUD manufactured home built in 2003 (3 bed, 2 bath) listed at $25,000. Situated on a quiet dead end street with a large mostly fenced in back yard, deck, basement, and again the inside looked pretty good. My parents were hooked and we called the listing agent directly to see if we could get inside the house the next day.

We were scheduled to see it at 10 a.m. the following morning.

The inside needed a little work but overall it was a great starter home for the price. The agent, Jeff, explained that the way HUD homes work is that you place in a bid by the 10 day deadline. If you are the highest bidder, you get the house. However, you have no way of knowing how many other people are bidding and how much. It's pretty much all left to chance.

My parents and I mulled it over, found a lender that would give me a loan for a HUD manufactured home, and placed a bid with 24 hours to spare.

The next day we got the news that we were not the highest bidder.

Disappointed but not discouraged, we continued to look at listings and scheduled to look at the Gibson house on June 1st.

My parents and I were charmed by it and wanted to put a bid in, but the bank had it listed as Cash or Conventional loan only. I was FHA pre-approved. Jeff contacted the listing agent that evening to have him contact the bank to see if they'd make an acception.

This morning Jeff called and said he had good news and bad news.

The bank refused to take an offer backed by FHA and besides the point, someone had offered the bank $40,000 cash for the Gibson house the very same day we looked at it.

However, HUD had emailed Jeff.... the winning bidder on Valencia had decided to not purchase the home and because I was the second highest bidder the house was mine if I wanted it!!!

And so, at 4 p.m. this afternoon, I signed a purchase agreement contract. It'll be overnighted to HUD and if they are in agreement, they'll sign it, and then I'll finalize things with the lender and if all goes well, I will be a home owner in less than 60 days.

Woo!!

*EDIT* Photos Post # 5.
    Last edited by ramanth; 07-22-2010 at 10:00 PM.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

How EXCITING!!!!!!!! There's nothing like your very own house with room for doggies (and kitties) Congratulations!!!!

I've been Boooo'd!

Nice to see the details! Congratulations!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Congrtats! Now exciting! Good luck, and get ready to have writer's cramp from signing your life away

Snagged some Bing screencaps. I'll take photos of the house next time I'm in it.

How wonderful, now the fun begins.

WoW !!

Little heavy on all the purchase drama ... but whatever it takes!

Too bad they don't make it *easy* - but you stuck it out = CONGRATULATIONS!

Congrats!!! I hope that from now on that everything will go smoothly.

I'll take photos of the house next time I'm in it
    the house? YOUR house Hope you will be very happy there

I am SOOO happy for you, Kim. What a huge yard! The pups are gonna be so happy. The kitties will probably freak but will adjust. They did when you moved to your apt.

Glad you stuck it out, kiddo. It was well worth the wait.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

That's such good news! When I bought this house, the agent said "You know there are 6 offers on this house already". I said "Well, now there are 7". (Nothing like trying to discourage a buyer. ) When I went to see the house, people were walking out w/their agent as we were walking in and another person was walking in as we were walking out. Made me very nervous. Mine wasn't the highest offer but the couple still accepted it after much drama. Sometimes I think they get a kick out of doing that to us. Anyhow, didn't mean to make this about me, just wanted you to know that it all happens the way it's supposed to. I guess it makes us appreciate it that much more. Congrats to you, girl!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you and all the furkids.

I can't wait to be in that spot!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Congrats! I was looking up the city last night on my BB after I read your post on FB. I was trying to see if you were enroute to either Luddington or St. Joseph! We would be stopping by on the way up this July... LOL, I couldn't figure it out.

Oooh how exciting!!! And just look at the huge fenced in back yard! ALRIGHT!

Just a note, the next 60 days won't be smooth sailing either, he hee. This is my first house purchase, and I still shudder remembering everything leading up to actually moving IN. There are always last minute changes to this, that, and the other. The housing inspector doesn't arrive as scheduled; or he does, but forgot his paperwork. Then this one is late, the next one is early. And the paperwork! But it is all happy at the end, and well worth it!

Yeah, someone already caught you on the photos of "the" house, it is YOURS! GO FOR IT!

Thanks everyone! Yes... MY house. That just feels weird.

The fur crew is doing surprisingly well with all the big changes. We've already started boxing things up and it doesn't seem to faze them. I'm still going to be using Feliway and Rescue Remedy though. Logan is the one I'm really going to keep an eye on and Chipper's only known this apartment, but I think he'll be okay.

Cataholic, I'm 2 hours and 20 minutes north-east of St. Joseph. As for Ludington... Google Maps says it's about a 13 mile difference but the same amount of driving time if you went through Lansing vs. Grand Rapids to get there.