Thread: Toby got a bath but Havoc is angry one

Toby got a bath but Havoc is angry one

Got tired of Toby shedding like crazy so gave him a quick rinse int he tub just to knock some excessive hair off. No shampoo, just water, then put him outside for a bit to dry off. I have a really big wire cage and put him in the shade, plus kept an eye on him thru the window. Havoc kept watching him through the window too and didn't seem to care....

Until I brought Toby back inside. Now Havoc is going absolutely nuts, hissing and growling at Toby. Toby is normally the dominant cat but isn't really pushing the issue. He's just roaming around the house as usual. When they get close Havoc growls, screams and swats at Toby. He isn't shivering like he's scared he just really doesn't like the "new guy". I can't just turn them both loose or I'm sure it will turn ugly. Toby is trying to make friends but Havoc isn't having any part of it.

I can't get Feliway anywhere near here other than Memphis itself and being a holiday that's probably a no-go anyway. I have the cage to keep them separated til things calm down, but my question is.... which one needs to go in it?

I was supposed to go out in a few hours but may stay home to keep an eye on things. Was just going to in-laws' and I see them all of the time anyway.

I'd put Toby in the cage, so Havoc can wander around, and then get close to sniff without any chance of physical interaction.
    I've Been Frosted

That's what I'm doing for now, since Toby has always been perfectly fine with being caged. Havoc is still avoiding him though. He's always been such a pansy it's really strange to see him all growly like that.

Maybe by getting Toby wet this has caused him to smell funny to Havoc. I know that when I bring one of mine to the vet my Storm gets very hissy and mean towards whoever just came back from the vet but in general this doesn't last long. Maybe you can put something on both of them so they'll smell the same. I think someone has mentioned vanilla extract in the past. Hopefully this won't last too long. Good luck.

I just let Toby out of the cage. Havoc is still a little hissy, but he's letting Toby get closer. They'll get nose to nose and then Havoc will hiss and growl just a little. But, no screaming or swatting, so things are getting better. I'm kinda surprised at how well Toby is behaving to tell you the truth. Usually he's pretty bossy, but now when he walks up to Havoc and gets hissed at he just casually walks away without issue.

That is so stange......cats are truly in their own world sometimes. I have used Feliway wipes before. I had a blind cat that would freak out anytime I gave the dogs a bath, so I would use the wipes and she would be much better about them until they got their smell back. Good luck and let us know how they are doing today.

they were both piled up on me when I woke up this morning, so I guess Havoc got over it. If nothing else, his "personal space" zone is much smaller, 'cuz they were about a foot apart. He kept his eye on Toby when he was eating breakfast but he never growled or hissed at him.

Wonder if Toby would act the same way if I ever gave Havoc a bath? I usually don't bathe my cats unless they get into something, but this is the first time I've had more than one anyway.

Glad to hear the drama is pretty much over! Thanks for the update.
    I've Been Frosted