Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New photos and update, 7-12-10

New photos and update, 7-12-10

Hello all, sorry to be away so long. Hope this thread finds you all well.

I just had to share with you my little addition.

17 year old Taboo, the silver Persian.

You will have to bear with the story in order to get to the photos.

I have worked at the same grooming shop 15 years now and for most of those years we had a client, a little elderly lady with 2 Shih Tzus and this Persian. She was a REGULAR! those dogs were groomed every 3 weeks. And the cat as needed.

About 7 years ago she (and one of the dogs) passed away and her grow son took the remaining dog and cat in as his own. I was impressed because so many people don't feel the need to care for these orphans, even though they were beloved pets of someone important in their own lives.

But this man lived in a very small place and really wanted to find the cat another home. But, for years, he continued to bring them both for their grooming.

The last time I saw them was in Dec 2007, The dog had died and I assumed that now the cat had too.

Yesterday this man from the past called to say Taboo (now 17 years old) has been returned to him after bouncing from home to home. She was in deplorable shape, matted worse than anyone could imagine! Could we groom her?

When they showed up for their appointment the man told me that he felt so bad that this "supposedly good home" had allowed this to happen to her. But at the same time he was now involved with a lady with EXTREME allergies. He was in a bind.

Then I took her from the carrier. The fur was a solid cast over her frail, thin body, and yet she nuzzled her face in my hand as if she remembered me. I went to clip her nails and they were so long they wrapped around in, not 1, but 2 complete circles. Only God prevented them from imbedding into her pads.

I called the man back and offered to care for her for the rest of her life......and here she is....TABOO! (next post...LOL)
    Last edited by jenluckenbach; 07-12-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Oh my gosh -- what a journey she took to get to you! I'm sure you'll do a marvelous job at fattening her up and getting her back to health..... and I dare you to show a photo of your matching shaved hair jobs

Since I don't have a camera at work I cannot show you a before photo, but I can show you the nails I saved. The one in the lower left was the worst.

I also attempted to take photos of the piece of fur that came off her back, front and rear legs almost completely still attached. Where you see it split, that was over her backbone and I needed to split it in order to get it off....it was actually connected.

So here she is....totally bald since I needed to shave her entire body with a #40 surgical blade. Poor pink kitty, just like a newborn mouse with no fur.

And her still pretty face even at 17

thanks for listening

OMG.... I had no idea their nails could curl under like that. I'm heartbroken to see that. Poor thing looks terrified, but I bet she'll be perfectly at home in no time.

OMG! Poor Taboo! I know that fur was all glued together, but it looks like a pelt, as if the poor girl had been skinned!

Her fur will grow back beautifully. If she nuzzled you at the kennel with all those tangles and awful claws, then she must be a real sweetie.

God bless you for taking her in!

Welcome home, Taboo!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

The *blankity*blank* person that let her get like that should be reported and jailed! That is horriable! Poor girl did nothing to get neglected like that. Thank God that man got her back and brought her to you! God Bless you Jen for taking this poor, soon to be, beautiful baby in to love for the rest of her life!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    OMG.... I had no idea their nails could curl under like that. .
    actually. she is very lucky because they usually dont curl "off to the side", they grow straight back into the pad.

I saw a matted mass just like that back when I worked at the vet years ago. We had to shear the cat like a sheep and it all came off in one piece. Poor thing could barely move beforehand. I kept the fur for quite a while after that til my boyfriend got too creeped out by it. I'm like "dude, it's just fur", although it was still rather cat-shaped.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    OMG God bless you for taking her in. She's one lucky cat!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

OMG that poor baby. What a horrible time she has had. So glad she was delivered to you, now she can live out her senior years loved and well taken care of. Thank you so much!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Oh Jen- what a story! I loved all your stories about your gang and I am glad there is a new one to tell- you are such a good writer.
    But I am so very sorry for poor Taboo- I just cannot believe how people can neglect a living being that much. But I know that when my friend Angie stole her Persian boy Kaiser from his former owner (another story...) he looked just nearly as bad and he got a summer shaving ever after.
    I am glad Taboo's owner and you could help her and I hope she has a long and happy life.

Poor kitty. I'm so glad that the man got her back and then brought her to you. Now she's going to live the rest of her life in a wonderful caring loving home. Welcome home Taboo!!!

What a story! Poor girl. How these people could do this to such a sweet old lady But I am glad she is with you now. She will live quietly, well cared and loved

Morning update.

She eats! that's good. She's understandably upset and growling. She peed on the bedding and not in the box provided (now that worries me)

She'll settle.

Oh the poor, sweet baby! How cruel people can be! They can also be wonderfully kind, though, as you have been for lucky little Taboo, lucky b/c she's in your hands now. The expression on her face is priceless, though, Jen. How adorable. I can't wait to see her after she's settled in and her fur grows back and is well groomed. Kudos to you, Jen, and lots of lovin' for that sweet ol' gal.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11