Thread: Cat Food - Ideas

Cat Food - Ideas

Sorry if this is the second time you have seen this, I didn't realize I posted this in Pet General & not Cat General.
    ================
    I'm still fairly new to cats, so I don't know all the Brands & I don't know which are safe & Toxic.. I know a lot of the Toxic brands, but I don't know what all to look for in a Cat food.

I normally feed Cam Homemade food, but Digi doesn't eat that anymore, shes on 100% raw & is doing so much better on it. Cam's not thrilled with it at all. She'll eat some, but not nearly enough. SO I want to offer some raw & some Dry.

Heres the catch.. it HAS to be a fish or chicken base with NO shellfish in it. This is a precaution just encase Digi is able to get a kibble, so the less things shes severely allergic too (Red Meat, Dairy, & Shell Fish), the easier it'll be to treat her for an upset tummy.

I want to go Orijin but it has Shellfish & thats the last food Digi got sick off of, so I'm scared to bring it into the house. I really don't want a kibble in the house but Cam needs to eat more.

Any ideas?

I'll hit Global Ryans this coming weekend to look at the options, but I don't like going in to a store blind, & Kitties I know very little about.

Thanks

EDIT:
    Cam will still get some Raw fish & raw Organ meat, but she'll have a bowl of kibble near by to munch from once shes sick of eating the Raw food.

I really wish she liked it better. Or maybe I'm giving her the wrong kind of Raw meats? What raw Meat is Kitty Friendly?
    She wont eat raw chicken at all... but she likes salmon & some other random species of fish i buy (I try to buy many different species of fish to add to the variety.)

Global Ryans is a very good place for Natural Cat Foods , but even then you have to be careful.
    Blue Buffalo was at least one company whose food was being made in China and a lot of Pets suffered illness and death.
    For what its worth , My Found Cats are on Oral Care Science Diet and Pro Plan Chicken and Turkey with Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys.
    And an Occasional Whiska Pouch.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

After all the years of feeding cat food I have figured out the following. You can give the cat the best food but if it doesn't eat it, it's worthless. Also, the best food in your opinion, may not be the best for your cat's individual health. A label can read one way, but the cat's system will read another.

I have tried all the top brands - EVO, Wellness, Natural Balance, Taste of the Wild, Orijen, California Natural etc.

I look for no artificial colours/flavours, and stick to foods that have more protein than grains. Some cats do well on grain free, while others do not. It's really a test to see how your cat's system reacts. I have noticed that Wellness and EVO seem to rich for many cats.

Right now I'm using a mix of California Natural and Taste of the Wild. I tried Natural Balance but it didn't agree with either of my cats. If you want to stay Canadian, I've heard good things about Acana and I'll be trying to mix that in next. I would love to feed all wet food or raw, but my one cat won't go near anything that doesn't resemble kibble.

Remember, if you mix raw with dry food, make sure it's at seperate feedings since they break down at different rates in the body. So, as example, feed raw in the morning and dry at night.
    Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.