Thread: Stressed-out cats

Stressed-out cats

I have two cats who have been stressed out for the las 3or 4 months by noisy repair work being done on our building's balconies. They are 10 and 11 years old. Both are showing signs of generalized anxiety (in different ways)Someone told me about something called Rescue Remedy. Does anyone use this? If so, would you please let me know how to use it. It will have to be topical because my cats eat wet food and don't drink extra water. Thankyou in advance. Marg for Bonnie and Prudence

There is also something called Feliway that some people here swear by. I think it comes in different applications, but I don't have a pet store nearby so I don't know for sure.

I'm sorry to hear this. I've never used Rescue Remedy but you add it to their water. I have used Feliway in the diffuser and spray and this helps to calm your cats. It worked for a while but then they became immune to it so I've stopped using it. Hopefully the renovations will stop soon and your cats will be less stressed.

Definitely Feliway. The spray works instantly. If you can, isolate them in a room with their box, food and water and maybe a radio playing classical music. Spray the Feliway 9 feet in the air. Feliway has an enzyme in it that only cats can detect.

Good luck. I hope the repair work is over soon.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Yes I so aggree.. Hope the repair work is done soon.. Good Luck with the babies.. Keep us posted..
    Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    Definitely Feliway. The spray works instantly. If you can, isolate them in a room with their box, food and water and maybe a radio playing classical music. Spray the Feliway 9 feet in the air. Feliway has an enzyme in it that only cats can detect.

Good luck. I hope the repair work is over soon.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I would certainly use Feliway, they also make a plug-in that emmits the smell all the time so you don't have to worry about it wearing off. Good luck and I hope they handle the construction a little better.

I swear by Feliway...I have heard others say it doesn't work, but, it works for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by mmbookman View Post
    I have two cats who have been stressed out for the las 3or 4 months by noisy repair work being done on our building's balconies. They are 10 and 11 years old. Both are showing signs of generalized anxiety (in different ways)Someone told me about something called Rescue Remedy. Does anyone use this? If so, would you please let me know how to use it. It will have to be topical because my cats eat wet food and don't drink extra water. Thankyou in advance. Marg for Bonnie and Prudence
    I know people who have used Rescue Remedy successfully....However, they had people help them figure out what combination of the Bach Flower Essences to mix together to help the individual situation for each cat they were using the stuff for. To me, Rescue Remedy itself doesn't work that well and the process of figuring out what you are treating and what mixes to use of the Bach Essences is too difficult.

I myself, and others I know, have used Feliway plug-in diffusers with success. They are not an instant fix and they are not inexpensive and you need to use at least a 60 day supply to figure if they are working or not. In my opinion, though, they are worth trying.

BTW, the Rescue Remedy and Bach Flower Essences CAN be applied topically. They can be rubbed below the front of the ear and on the paw pads.
    ~~Pat: Mom to (L-R in siggy)Philly, Piper, Molly & Kit