Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robin's Saga

Robin's Saga

It all started in February when I noticed little blood spots by the litterbox. Turns out it wasn't a UTI, but calcium oxilate crystals. we've had many vet appointments, x-rays, consultations, etc. In general she shows NO signs of discomfort or pain. She is her normal little squeaky self, and she has even started coming out of her shell more and more and being interested in what's outside, playing more, not taking any guff from CJ, etc. So she's going along fine and all of a sudden one day she's exhibiting signs of a UTI. Antibiotics don't work so I take her to a different vet. This vet gives us a different antibiotic but takes a urine sample to get a culture and she takes more x-rays. This is all in So. California.

We get Robin to the vet I like in Chicago - the one that did so much for us with Tubby & Peanut - and I give him all her records and copies of the x-rays. She has the crystals in her ureters and he says he can do the surgery to remove them, but he is worried about her follow-up care since we will only be in the Chicago area for another week. He refers us to the Iowa State University Veterinarian School in Ames, IA because we will be near Des Moines for most of the summer. She has an appointment there on May 19th.

There are only a few vets that can do this type of surgery because the ureters are so tiny. It's extensive surgery. The surgery may cause scarring which could block the ureter. It's dangerous and there are no guarantees, but going to the University is our best shot. If we do nothing her ureters are likely to become blocked which will then cause her kidneys to shut down.

She is really doing well right now although I can tell she has lost some weight. She is still feisty and interested and sweet and comes for her nummies and yells at CJ and demands her tummy-time and kills her mousies, but needless to say I am worried about what is to come.

We really have no way of knowing how old she is, but we estimate she is about 12. We've only had her for 3 years now. She is on special food that she likes (thank goodness). She's been a real trooper through all the vet visits so all I can do is hope and pray she survives the surgery as well.

It's only been 3 years, but she's our sweet little girl and we're devastated that she has to go through all this. I guess some cats are more prone to this than others, and evidently she's a worst case scenerio. The one vet even said "She's an interesting case, I've never seen stones in the ureters before. I'd like to know what happens because she should be written up in a medical journal." Yes, my widdle Wobin written up in a medical journal.

Anyway, just wanted to update you all on what's happening. We're in WI for a week then we head back to IA for her appointment and we'll be there until the end of September.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Oh Debbie- I know what you are going through. I hope so much the surgery can help your little girl. I think it is a good sign that she still is feisty and playful.
    All paws crossed here for Robin's recovery.

Aw, how sad for all of you! Sounds like you will be getting her the best care possible, though! Sashie and I will keep sweet Robin in our prayers. And I know my Tabby will be watching over her from the RB.

(((hugs))) to your widdle furbabies!
    Proud Meowmie of Sasha

RIP sweet Tabitha, my heart kitty. You are loved and missed every day. 1988 - 2010

Poor Robin and poor you! We are crossing paws and fingers that everything will be OK.

Well this is a shock! Hello Robin, you do look lovely in that photo, all sprawled out.

Sorry to read about all the tests and that. My goodness!

Bichons are prone to crystals, and we try to keep to a safe diet to prevent them from occurring. But those are bladder stones. In the urethra! I can only imagine they started in the bladder and moved.

Purrayers for Robin that all goes along well! Please keep us posted.

Prayers for beautiful Robin! She sure lucked out when she came to live with you...her previous owner might not have noticed anything, although from what I remember, he was not at all unkind.

How odd that nothing dissolves them...though being in the ureter, they don't get soaked in the stuff that would work.

PT Prayers for the surgery, and that Robin will come through with flying colours!

I don't know if this well help any meanwhile, but when Oscar had a few crystals and a UTI several years ago, the vet was okay with me adding about 1/5 of a capsule of cranberry powder to plain unflavoured yogurt, once a day for about a month. Kept the acidity up.

PT Prayers for beautiful Robin. Wonderful that she is feeling great and even getting a little brave!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear about Robin. I've only heard of bladder stones too which then have to be removed by surgery. I sure hope that everything will go well with her surgery and that she'll recover quickly and won't ever have this problem again. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Robin and you guys will be in my thoughts and prayers.... I hope the surgery goes well and she is all better very soon! Kisses for her sweet little kitty self!
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

I do hope that Robin comes through the surgery just fine and that all will be well after that. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I'm sorry you and Robin are going through this; it is good she's not exhibiting any signs of pain. Prayers for the surgery and keep us posted!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

WOW! That is a bit to swollow all of a sudden. I hated reading this about her but glad you shared it with us so we can pray for her. My goodness... I hate this. At lest it sounds like you are getting the best care for her and doing all that can be done and I will pray for her and the doctors to figure it out and to get her over this.. (((((HUGS))) for you and Robin.

She is still such a lovely girl, always such a little princess.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Prayers, good thoughts and purrrrs for Robin from Cali, Diego and I. She's such a beautiful girl.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

We are all praying for Robin, and I know that Tubby and Peanuts are there for her as well. Its sad and scary when our Ctas are ill, we worry that it may be serious and theres nothing we can do, except ask our Vets to help.
    Its such a helpless feeling knowing your Friend is ill , and wishing you could dso more.
    Prayers from the Found Cats Hotel for Beautiful Robin
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My prays are coming for Robin and for you as well.

Thank you for taking her in. She beautiful.

Melissa

Thank you all so much!

We're only about a day away from the big vet appointment. I'm really kind of dreading it because she's really acting quite fine and normal these days. No signs of anything wrong at all, so I hate the thought of creating something wrong....but of course I know there really is something wrong, I just can't see it without x-rays. But then there are the surgery worries. She is a little older as far as cat age goes, so surgery is always an issue........

We've been traveling which always concerns me because she doesn't have access to the litter box at her will - she needs to squeak at me to tell me she needs to use the box, so I always thing she doesn't go as often, which isn't good for a little girl with urinary tract issues. But, so far so good.

She is sleeping on my chest right now. Picture me laying down with the computer about waist level and a fluffy calico girl laying between my face and the computer screen, half laying on my right arm, so typing isn't the easiest thing in the world. She's such a silly little girl.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl