Thread: This is so exciting!

This is so exciting!

I'm so excited! I just trained Jake to heel perfectly!

I gave up on training him to do this years ago, and today I taught him literally within 20 minutes. I checked a book out from the library called "Good Owners, Great Dogs" and I can't get over how quick he learned!

The book says that until a person has trained a dog well, they should not get a dog like a German Shepherd. I've been wanting to get one so I decided to put Jake through boot camp. At this rate it shouldn't be long!

Good job!

How old is your dog and what kind?

Mary

That is a good book...we checked it out while we were looking for a puppy back in June/July. It's really the kind of book that we should buy so that we can have it on hand. All that knowledge kind of has gone in one ear, then computed by the brain, and quickly forgotten about...and out the other ear.

Jake's going to be 6 on December 22.

I read the book before I got him - but like you said "It went in one ear and out the other" Or rather "In one eye and out the other"! I think I should buy a copy!

Next, I'm going to teach him to stay (can you believe I haven't done this yet?) and to leave the cat food and trash alone.

He already knows sit, down, shake and "go to bed". If we say "go to bed" he goes into the mudroom.

Any suggestions on more useful things to teach him?

Ooops! Sorry.

She's a Sheltie, muffruff!

Originally posted by stacwase
    I just read this the other day on pet talk...teach your dog to put the toilet seat down...very useful & funny!

Re: This is so exciting!

Congratulations on teaching Jake how to heal.
    It must be a pleasure walking him now.

----<---<--<{(@

How did they recommend teaching him to put the toilet seat down??? That would be neat.

Considering he drinks out of the toilet - he may be reluctant to do it! Isn't it amazing that after spending so much time washing and filling his automatic waterer, he still prefers the toilet?

Isn't it amazing that after spending so much time washing and filling his automatic waterer, he still prefers the toilet?
    *Snort* that sounds like a typical pooch to me.

I wish I could remember who said that...if I can find the thread I will let you know.

I found the link about the toilet seat...let's see if this will work

Click Here It was posted by IloveHounds down near the bottom of the page.

We taught our dogs to "back up" It is extremely useful when they are at the door eager to greet and you have an armload. I just tell them back and they do! Also, we have taught them to sit and lay down on hand signals. It is great when you are on the phone and they are whining by the treats..just look at them, give the signal and they lay down!

Originally posted by Cincy'sMom

We taught our dogs to "back up" It is extremely useful when they are at the door eager to greet and you have an armload. I just tell them back and they do! Also, we have taught them to sit and lay down on hand signals. It is great when you are on the phone and they are whining by the treats..just look at them, give the signal and they lay down!
    What good dogs you have!! I am so looking forward to the day when you give Malone a signal and he will do it. Most of the time he just looks at you (unless he really wants to do it) and you have to correct him. However, we are finally getting the "wait!" command down. This way, when we open the car door, he isn't bolting across our laps; and when you put his food down he isn't right there gobbling your fingers; and when I just go down to the mailbox, he doesn't bolt out & run. Those kinds of things.

Originally posted by Cookiebaker
    That is a good book.... It's really the kind of book that we should buy so that we can have it on hand. .
    I have bought 4 copies of this book. I always end up giving it away to someone who has just acquired a dog. I need to get another copy to have on hand. Actually I should get 2 so I can keep one for myself because I more than likely will want to give it away again.

As to what to teach....*No Bark* comes in very handy. Also *Drop It*, *Off* and *Go Potty* are ones I find very useful.
    Last edited by Rachel; 10-16-2002 at 07:31 PM.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France