Thread: dominant boder collie

dominant boder collie

Need some direction! I have a 8 month old male border collie (Jackson). Jackson is very well trained and we have developed a very close relationship. But 4 days ago, i brought home two 8 week old border collies. The first couple of days were tough because Jackson was attacking the new pups. He no longer attacks the pups with me around but I know that he will if i am not. He is at his worse when the puppies begin to play with one another. The quick movements and playful growls they make toward one another grabs Jackson's attention. I only have one fenced in backyard and have to go back to work in a couple of days. At that point in time, I will have to give the puppies away if I cannot trust Jackson around them alone. Any advice would be appreciated!

Spend as much time with all of them together as you can. Pay lots of attention to Jadkson. While the pups are out in the yard, do some training with treats with him, so he knows he is not competing with them for your attention.

I would have expected him to herd them, not attack them, but I don't know a lot about your breed. I suggest you cover all bases: do a Google search with these terms:
    border collie forum

Join and post on some of those. The more places you ask for help, the better chances of getting some helpful info.

You said Jackson is well trained. See if you can get hold of the trainer(s) you took classes with, ask their input. They have seen Jackson in classes with other dogs around, and may have a view with his personality in mind.

Are you crate training the puppies? It might be best to keep them crated and away from Jackson during the day while you are at work, for everyone's safety. Make sure you spend some "quality time" with Jackson, as Sandie said, and do you have anyone else in the house to help?
    I've Been Frosted

Freedom and Karen, thank both of you for your replies. Just to clear a couple things up you asked about. I have spent the last 5 days with Jackson, the 2 pups, and bella (my female beagle). Bella is older than Jackson and she is the dominant one in their relationship but not too dominant. It is like Jackson knows he is doing wrong but looks at me like he cant help it. I would have also thought that he would have tried to have herded the pups too. The pups do try to herd him to some degree but you can tell they are very skeptical. They are all 3 brothers too. Of course, the 2 pups being from a more recent litter. Jackson has also attacked puppies at my parents house. They were mixed breed. Since i have spent so much time with them over the past 5 days, Jackson is not attacking them with me around but does shortly after he thinks i have left them alone with him. Also, I am the one that has trained Jackson. Not only have I trained Jackson, he also goes about everywhere with me. Strange thing is that he doesnt act jeolous when i am handeling the pups. Once again, thanks for any insight

I have not had the pups in a crate yet. But i do have someone at the house to help. My issue with crate training is that I may be extending the inevitable. I really would like to get the puppies to there new home if Jackson is not going to eventually accept them. Plus I do not want my kids to become any more attached to them than they already are if we are going to have to give em up.

Once the pups mature and gain some stature / size, they can hold their own vs. Jackson and sort things out themselves. Who knows, one of THEM may be more dominant than he is.

The thing for now is to protect them and let them enjoy their puppyhood, without Jackson hurting them.

What about the breeder where you got the 3? Any insight from that person?

I think crate training the puppies may be a good thing for a start, just so Jackson can't hurt them.

Or, do you have a doggie door, or does Jackson stay in the back yard while you are at work? I there is no doggie door, can you gate off the kitchen and leave the puppies there for a week or so? Put down some paper or pee pads. They will be out of his way, and still able to do their puppy thing. This won't work for lon, as I recall BC's can jump and any gate will just be a challenge for them to conquer, he hee.

The breeder recommended nutering Jackson. Which is something I am willing to do. Not sure what the negatives are for that thought. Jackson does stay in the backyard. I really would like to leave the pups out there too, so I may go purchase a portable fence tomorrow. Thanks again for you help

Oh, I do know neutering is best for his health, so it should be done anyway.
    I've Been Frosted

Your Border Collie is not being dominant. He is trying to teach the puppies manners.... has he hurt the puppies? What do these "attacks" entail?

Border Collies are all about manners with other dogs. My BC was incredibly grumpy with Fozzie when I brought him home as a puppy, but was his best friend to moment Fozzie realized, "ok, now I know, I have to be polite and gentle to play with this big grumpy dog". He was actually a tremendous help in teaching Fozzie manners and bite inhibition! However, I made sure to give Gonzo plenty of me time, and I seperated them with a babygate at first.

Does Jackson live outside? What kind of backyard, fencing, and shelter is he provided? Does he ever come inside? How do you exercise him? Border Collies are soooooo attached to their people. They want to be with their people, doing whatever is asked of them, when ever possible. Behavioral issues arise very quickly with bored Border Collies left to entertain themselves in the backyard. A bored Border Collie quickly becomes a neurotic, destructive Border Collie without proper exercise, training and containment. Can you not keep Jackson inside, and keep the puppies in an exercise pen or crated inside when they can't be supervised?

Another question... why on EARTH did you buy two Border Collie puppies with an adolescent Border Collie already? Crazy!!!!!!!

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Quote Originally Posted by bckrazy View Post
    Your Border Collie is not being dominant. He is trying to teach the puppies manners.... has he hurt the puppies? What do these "attacks" entail?

OMG...Could your Gonz come teach my Sunny manners? She needs them when playing with other dogs!

LOL... but of course! My friends with puppies have told me that I should lease Gonzo out to other puppy owners. He's like the luitenant of puppy bootcamp. My friend's BC puppy is bouncing off the walls until Gonzo enters the room. Then, she'll be laying down calmly like, "I wasn't being crazy, Uncle Gonzo! Honest!"

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz