Thread: dog love or dog control?

dog love or dog control?

I have a pomeraina 1 year old and ever since he was a puppy when he would get excited and happy to see me he would of course lick me on the face but also he would place his hold mouth around mine sorta like he was going to bite me but he only holds my mouth. he does this all the time! Why?

It is definitely a control thing. I would pull away when he does that and say "no" and eventually, he'll get the hint. If you've ever seen wild dogs on TV, the leader of the pack will do that to lower dogs to display dominance and control.
    I've Been Frosted

Totally agree with Karen. A lot of trouble with dog behaviour comes from people misinterpreting their pets actions - they try to see it in human terms. Your dog is not doing what he does as a sign of love and it needs to be corrected.

(Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human characteristics to, or, some would argue[1][2], recognition of human characteristics in, non-human creatures and beings, phenomena, material states and objects or abstract concepts. Examples include animals and plants and forces of nature such as winds, rain or the sun depicted as creatures with human motivation able to reason and converse)

Oh my gosh! We had the same problem with my Pomeranian!!! Except he would do it to our fingers...not our mouths...but anyway, basically, whenever he would do it, we'd say "No bite!" with a semi-loud assertive voice, & he quickly learned that it wasn't ok...