Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Renovation! Here's the Kitchen/Sunroom **UPDATE - Post 30**

Beautiful work! WELL DONE!!!!! to all concerned.

You will enjoy that space so much!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Blue View Post
    It's not finished yet. We still need to finish the radiator covers, baseboards and the upstairs bedrooms. Plus, install the deck off the back of the house. Unfortunately everything stopped last year when Rob had his car accident. So now we're slowly picking up where we left off.

We'll probably sell the house next spring.
    I'm shocked to hear that after all of this work and even more reno's to do that you'll then end up selling it. I thought that you were doing all of these reno's for you not as a flip. Good luck.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Well done! I LOVE the floors! They're beautiful! We just got a new house, and I wish we had the facilities and skill to do that kind of renovation on our own! $1K for that kitchen? That's amazing!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I simply cannot believe you even faked pictures of Rob with the machine only to hid the fact that Steve and Gigi did all the work. Just think of the solarium- who else than a cat could come up with this idea?
    And the wonderful taste of all of it - it can only have been a cat.

Wow! That looks great. Did I read that right...by DIY you did the kitchen for only $1000!? Awesome!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I'm shocked to hear that after all of this work and even more reno's to do that you'll then end up selling it. I thought that you were doing all of these reno's for you not as a flip. Good luck.
    Last week, we purchased a 7 acre cottage property up north () and that is why we need to sell. Here's a pic:

We're taking the equity from our city home to pay off the cottage land. Then, we need to start planning on building our cottage next. We hope to retire there eventually.

Also, we have already been in this house for 6 years so it's time to find a new place.

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom View Post
    Well done! I LOVE the floors! They're beautiful! We just got a new house, and I wish we had the facilities and skill to do that kind of renovation on our own! $1K for that kitchen? That's amazing!
    Thanks! The renovation journey has been quite the experience. And don't say you don't have the skill. We had a huge learning curve when we purchased this house and just tried everything we could. If it didn't work out, no big deal, you just redo the item or start again.

The floors were so cheap! I think they were called country oak and they were cheaper since we went with the grade of wood that showed all the knots and characteristics of the grain - rather than having something more 'polished'. It's great for covering up cat nail marks!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
    I simply cannot believe you even faked pictures of Rob with the machine only to hid the fact that Steve and Gigi did all the work. Just think of the solarium- who else than a cat could come up with this idea?
    And the wonderful taste of all of it - it can only have been a cat.
    Too cute, Barbara. Yes, I had my friend who is a whiz at Photoshop to delete all the fur from the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    Wow! That looks great. Did I read that right...by DIY you did the kitchen for only $1000!? Awesome!
    Rob works in the furniture industry and therefore had access to all the machines and internal suppliers for materials. This was the first time he ever had to design kitchen cabinets/drawers from scratch, though. It was a real experiment and huge learning curve. It took 5 months from start to finish. He had to use the machines after work or on weekends. Plus, the tin backsplash was only $200! Quite the deal.

So, there were no labour costs since we were the labour and we had company discount on materials. The biggest expense was for the electrician who put in the potlights, electrical outlets, and undermounted lighting.
    Last edited by Russian Blue; 04-26-2010 at 06:29 PM.
    Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

Wow! Love your cottage property and can only phantom the home you two will build. Now that you've tested the waters, your next project will be outstanding beyond belief!

Congratulations - a great plan
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

What a beautiful new kitchen, and my favourite is definately the splashback, that is just divine! I just love it.

Gorgeous. Everything looks so nicely finished, love the solarium, it makes all the difference in the room.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

wow that is simply gorgeous, i love our celtic background, i just adore places done up like your home, thanks for sharing.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Wow. You guys did a fantastic job, I absolutely love it! And your property looks awesome too - I bet the cottage will be super stunning as well!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I have never understood why people paint over hardwood floors. And the colors they select! Green? Was it supposed to be like grass underfoot???

Love your new look! What a nice kitchen, I'd LOVE to cook in that! That sun room, though, that is the BEST! Nice job, slap on the back for all of you!

The new floors look great! WilsonArt makes some terrific counter tops, nice choice. We put WilsonArt in my Dad's house when we redid his kitchen about 8 years back.

The new lot looks beautiful. WOW!

I'm shocked to hear that after all of this work and even more reno's to do that you'll then end up selling it
    Same here.......until I saw the next project You turned the house into a beautiful home and I am looking forward to seeing what the two of you build next

WOW just amazing!

Finally...the mudroom is complete.

Another renovation finished.....finally completed tiling and painting the front mudroom. Here's the before and after. Remember from my first post, everything in this house was painted green and yellow and burgundy.

Not anymore!!!

It was my mission to eradicate all these colours from this house. Slowly, by replacing, renovating and painting we did just that. We finished the front mudroom reno this weekend. No more green floors, yellow walls, burgundy door or green flower border (bleh!). I finally am free!

The before pics - we had already painted the burgundy door black in this pic

Green floors, yellow walls...bleh!

Here, we are setting the tile....

Finished tiling...now getting ready to paint....

The finished product....cat approved!

Now, onto the next project.....backyard deck! No rest for the weary.
    Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.